Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 30,721 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family consists of my husband and 2 sons, ages 5 and 2. We are going to be in the Triangle area to get a feel for it for possible relocation. We're from Long Island ( I know, such a new story!) I would really love to get some advice on fun things to do with the boys. So far I know of Marbles and Pullen Park. We're there for four days, so other suggestions are appreciated!!!! thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,939 times
Where are you staying? Marbles is great, your sons will enjoyit and you will find you can spend hours there! It is much better the LI Children's Museum (I am from LI). I have heard great reviews about the Museum of Life Sciences but your 2 year old will get more out of marbles. Two of my favorite parks are Kids Together (Marla Dorell park) and The RDU observation park. You will find no shortage or great parks/playgrounds here, it is one of the greatest things about this area!

DJ's Berry Patch in Apex will be open for pick your own strawberries! You could combine a visit with a trip to Bond Park.
Strawberry Farm - DJ's Berry Patch Apex NC

Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 AM

25 posts, read 30,721 times
Thank u!!! That's just the kind of info I was looking for! We are staying at the la Quinta in cary

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKay27 View Post
Thank u!!! That's just the kind of info I was looking for! We are staying at the la Quinta in cary

Then you will be close to Kids Together Park! It is great for kids your childrens ages and it is also very pretty. There is a greenway you can access from the park if you all want to take a walk.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,065 times
Take them to a baseball game. The Triangle has two minor league teams - the Durham Bulls (made famous by the movie Bull Durham), who are a AAA affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays, and the Carolina Mudcats (who play in Zebulon, NC, about 30 minutes east of Raleigh), who are an Advanced A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Both are pretty family friendly ballparks, although I give the edge to Durham due to a wider array of pre/post-game dining choices thanks to the American Tobacco Campus located right next door. Both teams will be playing while you're here. The Bulls will be playing the Charlotte Knights (the top farm team of the Chicago White Sox) on the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Each of those nights has one or more special promotions going on:

• 5/13 - 2 for 1 RooDay - Get two Terrace Reserved tickets for the price of one when you mention Kangaroo Express or show the Kangaroo Express app at time of purchase.
  • 5/14 - Food Truck Fest - Enjoy a lot more than traditional ballpark food when the best food trucks in the Triangle gather at the popular DBAP Food Truck Fest. With a wide range of cuisine there will be something for the foodie in everyone!
  • 5/15 - 80s Night - Enter the DBAP time machine and travel to the decade where Madonna and Michael Jackson ruled the charts, acid-washed jeans and Members Only jackets dominated your closet, and fledgling video game systems and the Rubik's Cube occupied your time. It's '80s Night, Durham Bulls style!
  • 5/15 - $1 Concessions - Enjoy $1 Bright Leaf Hot Dogs, popcorn and fries all game long!
  • 5/15 - Diamond Cutters Performance -Make sure you're in your seat at the end of the 6th inning because the Diamond Cutters, the Bulls' famous dancing grounds crew, will perform tonight. Say you saw them live and tell your friends.
  • 5/15 - Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC True Blue Thursdays -Take advantage of the BCBSNC True Blue Thursday ticket package at every Thursday home game (excluding April 3 and July 3). Get a ticket in the Cross Shield Corner (Section 215) and an exclusive cap for just $11!
  • 5/15 - College Night -Every Thursday home game (excluding April 3 and July 3) is College Night! Students can take advantage of two great offers: Get either a Terrace View ticket and $5 in Bulls Bucks for just $11 OR an Outfield Reserve ticket for just $5.99. Just use the promo code COLLEGE when purchasing tickets online. Get more info here. (Must use a valid .edu email address to be eligible)

Meanwhile the Mudcats will be playing the Lynchburg Hillcats (affiliated with the Atlanta Braves) 5/12-5/14 and the Salem Red Sox (affiliated with the Boston Red Sox) on 5/15.

• 5/13 - Dollar Dog Day - All Beef Bright Leaf Hot Dogs ONLY $1.00 each.
  • 5/13 - Education Day - Special 11am Start Time - Education Day is a special day game that gives schools the opportunity to bring students out to an early ball game. Employees with irregular shifts are also welcome to join in on the fun! Call the Mudcats front office for more information on discounted tickets.
  • 5/15 - Thirsty Thursday - Special size beer and Coca-Cola products for a special price, excluding July 3rd.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Pullen Park and the Museums for sure! And the Kids Together (that's the one behind Lowe's Food?) was my daughter's favorite for many years, she still remembers it).

Also, maybe a picnic at another park (Lake Crabtree near RDU, or Bond Park in come to mind.)
North Cary Park is another, as it has a great sand box and slides. big slides.

Tour of the old Capitol Building
A day in DT Cary is not bad. Short walking, and just neat stuff to see. The kids will get bored but it's good for an hour or so, and you can eat lunch at the old drug store (kids will love sitting at the counter)
I'm sure there is free live music one of those nights. In fact, I KNOW that Southern Culture on the Skids is playing free in Durham on 5/15. They are fun, and it will be a family friendly event. (Kids might even get some free bojangles...)

I know I'm forgetting something major. I just can't think of it right now.

Edit #1: Name the Top 10 fun things to do in Raleigh

Last edited by Myghost; 05-06-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenKay27 View Post

We've stayed there before, it was very nice!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM

214 posts, read 695,585 times
Kids Together park is closed for renovation.

For an alternative you can check out Bond Park or Lake Crabtree Park - both have playgrounds, hiking and boat rentals.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM

580 posts, read 712,723 times
You will also be near Waverly Place which has some restaurants (and a Whole Foods) and you can eat outside. Also a cupcake shop. There is a cute, little playground in the middle which is nice for young kids.

You will also be down the road from Hemlock Bluffs. Which is a beautiful nature preserve to walk around and keep cool under the canopy of trees.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 177,401 times
Check out Carolina Parent's Calendar. I am from LI too and live in Cary PM me if you want to chat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary