Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

Michael Jacobs: Why our schools weren’t ranked | Guest Columns | ChapelHillNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM

191 posts, read 276,797 times
Yes interesting but not surprising... the true test of a quality public school system is how it serves all represented demographics... and it would seem that CH/Carrboro didn't make that grade.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
According to US News. According to Newsweek/The Daily Beast CHCCS schools rank highly. I don't really care about the lists, but there are lots of different ones out there. Always, consistently, across the board CHCCS scores highest on SATs every year, fwiw. It's all about the individual kids, though.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,974,558 times
Great students make great schools. I've yet to see much proof that it's the other way around.

Chapel Hill schools have a lot of great students, and it supports them very well.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM

613 posts, read 747,586 times
No shortage of excuses. The fact remains that the US achievement is very mediocre. Many countries around the world leave us behind and spend much less doing it.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
No shortage of excuses. The fact remains that the US achievement is very mediocre. Many countries around the world leave us behind and spend much less doing it.
So what? Breaking news: Global economic competition isn't over who can win the 8th grade spelling bee. On the measures that matter (creativity, entrepreneurship, economic activity, output, inventions, etc.) the U.S. excels. Clearly we're doing something right, even if we're not turning out champion Mathletes.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM

613 posts, read 747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
So what? Breaking news: Global economic competition isn't over who can win the 8th grade spelling bee. On the measures that matter (creativity, entrepreneurship, economic activity, output, inventions, etc.) the U.S. excels. Clearly we're doing something right, even if we're not turning out champion Mathletes.
Really? So we don't have to import engineers from foreign countries? If it were not for foreign instructors many science/math /engineering schools in the US could not operate.
H-1B visa? No need for those anymore?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Really? So we don't have to import engineers from foreign countries? If it were not for foreign instructors many science/math /engineering schools in the US could not operate.
Again - if we can attract the best and brightest from other countries (who have paid for their education and training), then we must be doing something right.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM

644 posts, read 844,668 times
Quote:
If you think that "imported Engineers" are due to a shortage of Engineers here, then my friend you are quite mistaken. Let's not confuse a need for "foreign" instructors in academics with industry. And, the influx of immigrants to American academics has been around since our institutions have been in place. Einstein was not born yesterday.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

744 posts, read 1,265,043 times
Yes, Chapel Hill/Carrboro has a lot of bright students but the schools are also more challenging than other schools in the Triangle, at least for high school. We have friends living in Durham and Raleigh with kids the same ages as our kids. We have discussed what their kids have to read for English classes, how much of a homework load they have, what the competition with other students is like, etc. We have found that what our boys have to do at East Chapel Hill High is a lot more work and it's a lot harder. When I drop the boys off at school a lot of the kids look like zombies, I don't see a lot of happy faces. My 11th grader feels a bit overwhelmed at times this year. We have friends who have sent their kids to Durham Academy because East was just too demanding. I wouldn't recommend CH high schools to everyone, especially if you plan to take a lot of AP or advanced classes. On the other hand, our experiences with CHCSS elementary and middle schools have been, on the whole, wonderful.I realize this is anecdotal fodder on the internet and I don't in any way want to sound elitist, I just thought I'd share our experience.

As for the racial disparity issue, I don't know what the solution is but the ones offered by the author of the article, lower property taxes and lower cost housing, sounds oversimplified. Who's supposed to offer this lower cost housing? Does it guarantee that middle class families will move into them? As for allowing more businesses to operate in Chapel Hill/Carrboro as an additional source of tax revenue, my first question is, where? It's not like Chapel Hill/Carrboro has a lot of empty land. So what we are seeing are these mammoth condo buildings going up with first floor commercial retail space. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is losing the small, college town charm that it used to have. Second, I suspect many of us choose to live in Chapel Hill BECAUSE of the lack of strip malls, fast food joints, and gas stations and willing to pay a higher property tax in order to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary