Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM

29 posts, read 53,543 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to the triangle area upon my retirement in a few years. one of our possibilities is the wake forest area. In my (Internet based) research, it strikes me that US 1 ( Capital Blvd) seems to be a dividing line between areas that appear ( at least on the surface) to be somewhat different. The east side of Capital Blvd appears to have more "cookie cutter" developments with smaller lot sizes, more congestion, more smaller "townhouse" units and cheaper prices along with the resulting demographic impacts that these factors entail. The west side of Capital Blvd appears to be the opposite, and on the whole- appears to be a "nicer" area. I am interested in finding out if locals see things the same way. Is the east side of Capital Blvd ( north of 540) the "wrong side of the tracks" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 PM

129 posts, read 179,445 times
I'd say that Capitol Blvd is a definite dividing line. However, north of 540 towards Wake Forest the dividing line softens. Wake Forest is it's own place and you'll find a mix of property types.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 PM

360 posts, read 722,899 times
That depends. Some areas are on the low end of things, but there are many nice things on the eastern side as well. Rolesville for instance barely has anything under 200k. Heritage in Wake Forest is also on the east side and is pretty pricey. you also have the Riverside community on the eastern side that is a mixture of townhomes and single family homes and nothing there is under 150k.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeenan View Post
My wife and I are considering relocating to the triangle area upon my retirement in a few years. one of our possibilities is the wake forest area. In my (Internet based) research, it strikes me that US 1 ( Capital Blvd) seems to be a dividing line between areas that appear ( at least on the surface) to be somewhat different. The east side of Capital Blvd appears to have more "cookie cutter" developments with smaller lot sizes, more congestion, more smaller "townhouse" units and cheaper prices along with the resulting demographic impacts that these factors entail. The west side of Capital Blvd appears to be the opposite, and on the whole- appears to be a "nicer" area. I am interested in finding out if locals see things the same way. Is the east side of Capital Blvd ( north of 540) the "wrong side of the tracks" ?
Not even close. All of Wake Forest proper is 'wrong side of the tracks for you? Come on. Geesh.

What you are noticing for the most part is that the west side of Capital that far north is mostly in the Falls Lake watershed...and there are different rules for lot size and development.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM

29 posts, read 53,543 times
The watershed issue did not occur to me. However , it is ironic that there have been so many groundwater contamination problems on the west side of Capital Blvd in wake forest.

Wake Forest residents drink contaminated water for years - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville

Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,925 times
Quote:
The watershed issue did not occur to me. However , it is ironic that there have been so many groundwater contamination problems on the west side of Capital Blvd in wake forest.

Wake Forest residents drink contaminated water for years - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville
So many? It was one contaminated industrial site that contaminated wells in that area only.....not a water shed issue. I have a bigger issue that the EPA knew of the problems and didn't warn the homeowners....but this still doesn't make Wake Forest the 'wrong side of route 1'.

Oh...and most of Wake Forest is on city water....they don't have wells, so this wouldn't be concern even in the poorest neighborhood of Wake Forest.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:31 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,280,783 times
there have been more than the one cited? I mean, it affected quite a few nearby residents. And it's awful that it happened.

But as to your original point, north of 540 there's not a real difference in the quality of homes/residents. Wakefield would certainly be the nicest, and it's on the west side, but Wakefield had a heckuva lot more foreclosures it seems to me than the Heritage side.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there have been more than the one cited? I mean, it affected quite a few nearby residents. And it's awful that it happened.

But as to your original point, north of 540 there's not a real difference in the quality of homes/residents. Wakefield would certainly be the nicest, and it's on the west side, but Wakefield had a heckuva lot more foreclosures it seems to me than the Heritage side.
Because there were more upscale homes built there before the crash.

That's why I assume this to be the case, anyway.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,887,372 times
Quote:

FYI This was Stony Hill Rd, north of hwy 98, the most northern end of Wake Forest. this area was mostly undeveloped until recent years. Wake Forest proper is south and east of this.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM

633 posts, read 1,166,851 times
so this concerend well water? No city water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary