Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
And the highly-ranked schools.
Quite true.

Which is similar for Chapel Hill. And another reason it's a magnet for transplants.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 19,568 times
Albany ny to the Carolinas 55yrs young starting driving business like airports doc appts take u where u need to go, buying a home some where in up &coming area any thing to say maybe! like area or area for job idea

Last edited by ilovenyc1; 01-26-2014 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: did not finish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst89 View Post
please look beyond the Triangle! It is a perfectly nice area, but everyone seems to move there.
fixed

Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 19,037 times
dalamarjj78,

My wife is also Asian (Japanese), and we're thinking of moving to Raleigh too. There are a few Japanese NPO's operating in the Raleigh area. My wife has been able to get some info in Japanese, and we plan on meeting the person who's helping us when we visit there later this year. Perhaps there's a similar Thai organization that could help your wife? It's great to network that way.

We're in the same boat as you. We work like crazy only to break even. LOL. And that was before the ACA, which is killer.

We haven't made a final decision yet. Obviously we want to be there and see it in person first. I think it's important to recognize there will be challenges, but the mortgage and health will be much more affordable. I look forward to exploring the area.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,994,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks - I'll definitely take this into consideration and take a look at other areas, too. The main reason we were looking at Cary is because various sources on the web rank them very good in relation to cost of living, housing, crime rate, etc.
My family moved down from Massachusetts last summer and we love it down here.

That said, it's been my impression that Cary is one of the most expensive Raleigh suburbs in terms of housing.

Crime rate is low, schools are great and there are lots of Asians there so those care all plusses if your wife is Asian, but you can definitely find cheaper homes in other towns (not sure about the rental market).

I find that part of the triangle (near RTP) to be more crowded and congested, and that's part of the Boston lifestyle that I was only too glad to leave behind. We're living in Garner and I just love the laid-back pace in this area.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM

613 posts, read 946,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf22777 View Post
Come for a visit. While here go to most any supermarket in Cary or Apex, probably Morrisville as well. Every 5 minutes someone in Patriots or Red Sox garb will walk in. Talk to them, you will get a lot of feedback on the area, my guess is mostly positive.
It's funny. I just looked at my weekly update from realtor.com--I have it set for properties in Durham right now. I'm always amazed at the prices of sf homes--half price, or probably less, than comparable properties in E. Mass. And I don't know if this Winter's the worst one yet (in Mass.), but it has to be close. It's relentless.

I'd like to add a question to what the OP asked, something like: Could a "Massachusetts Liberal" survive in NC? Just meaning, if someone has "Democratic sensibilities", would they feel out of place in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary areas? Not that I go around ranting about Politics or anything, I'd just as soon talk about the Red Sox, or where to get good Bar-B-Que.

For the people who moved to NC from Mass.: count yourselves lucky--this Winter is truly hideous......

Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,362,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
That said, it's been my impression that Cary is one of the most expensive Raleigh suburbs in terms of housing.
You don't want to visit Chapel Hill, then. It has traditionally been more expensive than the rest of the Triangle.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,713,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
You don't want to visit Chapel Hill, then. It has traditionally been more expensive than the rest of the Triangle.
But it also isn't a suburb of Raleigh either. I think that Cary, in terms of suburbs, ranks up there pretty high in comparison. However, it's all relative....you can find many price ranges all over the area.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM

285 posts, read 493,672 times
Quote:
Could a "Massachusetts Liberal" survive in NC? Just meaning, if someone has "Democratic sensibilities", would they feel out of place in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary areas? Not that I go around ranting about Politics or anything, I'd just as soon talk about the Red Sox, or where to get good Bar-B-Que.
The Triangle is decidedly liberal, especially when compared to the rest of the state. Your general interactions with neighbors and co-workers will be no problem. Many people have a more liberal viewpoint, and almost all take a live-and-let-live approach.

On the other hand, you may have some significant frustrations with our state government. Currently, we have a Republican-controlled legislature and a Republican governor, which has led to some laws and policy changes that are very unpopular in the Triangle.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,362,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
But it also isn't a suburb of Raleigh either. I think that Cary, in terms of suburbs, ranks up there pretty high in comparison. However, it's all relative....you can find many price ranges all over the area.
True. I'm not convinced Cary is the highest priced area outside of Chapel Hill, but prices in neighborhoods that are in a "better" location do tend to fetch more money than those in a less desirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary