Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 08:31 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

I'll add this:

Please, people. Get off of your phones when you're driving.

It's not one specific age group, I see all ages, all social classes, all types of people doing this. Moms in their beheamoth SUVs, (the new 'mini van'), business men, (literally, yesterday, the car in front of me in the left lane went wildly into the right lane, almost hitting the car next to him. Older man, business type, driving a Mercedes, on his damn phone!), younger people.

I've never seen so many people with their faces in their phones like I do here. Traffic doesn't get through lights because the first person in line is so involved in their phone that they don't see it turn green, and ya'll 'too nice' to even give a quick beep of the horn. Two cars make it through the light, extending the long line for the next light change.

People going way under the speed limit because they are on their phone while driving.

People pulling out in front of other cars because they are on their phone while they pull out of a parking lot, a side street, a driveway...

Come on. Nothing on that phone is that important.

I drive around all day. Up to 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.

I had one SUV sideswipe me because, guess what? She wasn't paying attention.

I've avoided multiple accidents, and in my estimate, 80% of them were on their damn phones.

I see this all day long. I drive all over Raleigh, Cary, Holly Springs, Apex, Morrisville...this is a massive problem. So many people on their phones while behind the wheel.

Put it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 09:37 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Is that a Chick-Fil-A going up near Page and Miami?

Old 07-26-2021, 11:50 AM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nice We had a salad last night with fresh homegrown tomatoes and cukes…then two slices of leftover cheese pizza

We planted two more tomato plants yesterday from rooted suckers. I hope to get tomatoes well into fall.
Do you do anything special to keep your cucumbers from getting bitter? This is my first year trying to grow any vegetables, and I'm having mixed results with the cukes. The one I picked yesterday tasted bitter, but the one I picked a few days before that was fine. I don't know if it's just the hot weather we've been having or something else. I pick the cucumbers when they're small, so it's not that it stayed on the plant too long.

I bought a couple locally grown cucumbers at the store a couple years ago that were both bitter (I'd never had a bitter cucumber in my life, so that was a surprise), so it's not just me!

Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Do you do anything special to keep your cucumbers from getting bitter?
Not really. I grow mine next to the foundation of the house, and this was the first year in that location. I prepared the soil in each hill by mixing in a generous amount of organic mushroom compost. After setting out each plant I watered them in well with a large watering can with Miracle Grow. I then put some slow release granular fertilizer around the plant. I water daily and these turned out really good. We planted a Burpless Bush variety that would stay fairly compact. We store them in the refrigerator in a tall container of water almost completely submerged. It is by far the best way I’ve found to keep cukes fresh.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:56 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Whoops, replied to the wrong thread -- ignore this post.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:19 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Meanwhile back at the ranch

Old 08-01-2021, 08:57 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Went off-peak to the Southpoint Mall, and stopped by Nordstroms.

Years ago I was in a Nordstroms, NJ I think, and IIRC it lived up to its White Glove service reputation, which I have more heard of than actually experienced as I don't go there.

Not the one in Durham it seems, and not due to Covid - staff in the shoe department were standing around and not servicing customers, one of them close to us was chatting up a customer for the entire 20 minutes we were there, another was playing with his phone and not helping us, then a gaggle of them were together oblivious to us, and after not getting their attention had to approach them for a sale that nearly wasn't.

Maybe Nordstrom isn't Nordstrom anymore.

Last trip to Belk Raleigh was just the opposite - attentive and polite.

Anyone else have such experiences?

Old 08-02-2021, 02:07 PM

130 posts, read 109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Meanwhile back at the ranch
Little Jimmy realizes that his pet Cobra has escaped.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
i miss that thread
i want to discuss things

Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
There was a drive-by shooting at Wendy's in Carrboro last night. I was walking in my neighborhood which is about 2 miles from there and I kept hearing sirens, one after the other. I figured there was a big car accident nearby. Yikes! One person was hospitalized and another injured; lots of gun casings on the ground.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...ys-restaurant/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary