Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,617,881 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are flying in to Raleigh Durham airport next Thursday for a few days to look around. We are looking to relocate after the next year. Can any give me some family friendly areas to check out while we are there? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,965,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
My husband and I are flying in to Raleigh Durham airport next Thursday for a few days to look around. We are looking to relocate after the next year. Can any give me some family friendly areas to check out while we are there? Thanks
You're gonna have to be more specific about what you're looking for. "Family friendly" incorporates much of the Triangle.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Well, we are flexible but need to stay relatively close distance to the airport since my husband is English and still flies back to London for work every 6 weeks or so. We have a four year old son that is very active playing golf and soccer. He goes to preschool a few hours in the morning. So we need to be near good schools. We will be renting until we get settled in an area that suits us best. We really just wanted to have some areas to check out on our visit to get a feel for the triangle area but only have a few days.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,584,883 times
I've long advocated conducting proper due diligence, researching as much as possible online and trying to visit the area several times at different points in the year to figure out where you should live. But truth be told, your planning to rent, wanting close proximity to the airport and likely wanting to be someplace among those in a similar position (e.g. young child, relocating, etc.) makes me think you should definitely start with both Cary and Brier Creek. While they aren't necessarily the areas I would target to buy a house and put down roots both of those areas will help you quickly develop a social network and feel like part of the community.

Good luck with your move, this is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Thank you. Sadly, we dont have the money or the time to make trips through out the year. We moved back to the US from UK two years ago. When we considered our move back to the US we made a list and researched a lot then. Raleigh was on our list, Fl wasnt but we ended up here because of family. We have spent 2 years unsettled and wishing we had just stuck to our initial list. I have some friends that grew up in and around Durham and said it was a good place to grow up and have a family. We are looking forward to our visit next week to get a feel for the area.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Where is your or his work locally? You'd want to cut your commute if possible; that is of more importance than being near the airport (which everywhere in the Triangle pretty much is, except far-flung areas in the east and south of Wake county) for a trip every 6 weeks. No problem at all finding "family-friendly"--the Triangle is more like a giant suburb with a couple of small downtowns in it--but what other factors are you looking for?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM

51,660 posts, read 25,904,681 times
The entire area is family friendly. There are retirement communities and, of course, the Rue Sans Famille that you might want to skip on your visit to the area, but if your friends say Durham, then look at Durham.

Search for newcomer information on C-D. There's all sorts of info at https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

There was a recent thread about someone working at the VA in Durham on Sunday night.

Good luck on your adventure.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:47 PM

My husband works from home apart from the travels back to the UK for work. Thats why he has to go back every 6-8 weeks.
Because he is gone every 6-8 weeks I would like to find a safe family friendly area. We miss living in a close community so it would be nice to live close to down town areas. Like I said my son is very active and likes to be outdoors so it would be nice to be close to parks if possible.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,683,606 times
Seems like the newer neighborhoods have more kids and may appeal to you. Just an personal observation, maybe someone in the real estate field can comment. I state this because it may be easier to adjust and meet new people when kids are involved. Plus, with no through traffic it's easy to observe things that are out of place, i.e someone casing the house for a burglary.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:45 PM

Thanks. I have contacted some property management places so we can look at some homes while we are there to get an idea of what is in the areas. I would rather be in a more mature community. The development we live in here in Florida is full of the same type and colored houses, real cookie cutter and we have retention "pond" in the back yard with alligators and snakes. Not really a place we can let our son go out and play.
I am looking forward to getting away for a few days to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary