Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 66,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
OP-
When you start driving thru these neighborhoods, another thing to look out for is a sense of continuity among the elevations and a sense of a consistent level of quality in construction.

Some West Cary neighborhoods began development as our market began a fairly rapid decline. As a result, they are still building out using a different builder or group of builders than the ones that were there at inception. One neighborhood in particular (Cameron Pond) has suffered a very long and drawn out build-out, exascerbated by the addition of the rusty power lines and the first developer orchestrating a back-door deal with a local utility that enabled them to DESTROY a substantial buffer between the Western border of the property and The Western Wake Freeway.

Lot location and orientation is an extremely big deal in some of the neighborhoods mentioned as well.

As always, my general advice is to consider a resale in an established neighborhood along with new construction in 27519. At your price point there will be opportunities to buy on streets that built out rapidly in neighborhoods that are complete. There will be no question as to what your surroundings will consist of, and minimal potential to have your value and lifestyle affected by future development.

I love new construction and have bought two new homes in Cary. Frankly the opportunities are different than they were in the past, and the 500-600K price point contains fewer great choices in new construction than pricepoints above and below that mark.

You may also look to consider SE Cary-plenty of parks, good schools, and larger lot sizes for the money. The commute is different to RTP but many people do it.

Good points! Building consistency is definitely something OP should consider at that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM

27 posts, read 129,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If overhead air traffic noise is of any significant concern, these maps may be helpful:
http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/home...cationWake.pdf

http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/nois...rs-parcels.pdf

Even if you are outside the noise contours where disclosure is required, you will have some plane traffic.
The Reserve and Highcroft are both mostly within the notification zone.
Thanks Mike. This is a life saver. Yes, this issue is very important to us. We have a child with a disability who is terrified of air traffic noise, and she surely can detect the faintest sound of that. Other regular noises are not so much of an issue; it's just air traffic noise.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dad View Post
Thanks Mike. This is a life saver. Yes, this issue is very important to us. We have a child with a disability who is terrified of air traffic noise, and she surely can detect the faintest sound of that. Other regular noises are not so much of an issue; it's just air traffic noise.
This input is a game-changer.
RDU is a busy mid-sized airport, and influences much of Cary, particularly West Cary into central Cary, and some of Apex.
Again, even if a home is in an area outside the noise level contours, it is possible to probable that there will be air traffic noise at some time in those areas..

Think about Wessex, and other neighborhoods in the area between Weston Parkway and Maynard, down to about Chapel Hill Road.
Weston Manor
Maybe Weston Pointe, although the 3500SF may be a bit large for that neighborhood, and the price range is generally below $425,000.
Governor's Row, a small neighborhood off Harrison Avenue.
Homestead, adjoining Governor's Row, and a lovely older neighborhood.
Harrison Place, adjoining Homestead, a beautiful neighborhood, of 20 year old homes. Has a community pool and Black Creek Greenway access.

These two may work, but come closer to air traffic:
Weston Oaks, a smaller tract-built neighborhood. Lots are smaller, though, but it backs to Crabtree Lake property.
Weston Estates. Weston Estates is in Morrisville, and you would find slightly larger lots and a mix of housing. You would be in the lower end of the neighborhood, budget-wise.

You might need to flex on the schools.
Lochmere or MacGregor Downs may be worth a look.
Bella Casa comes back into view, as well as SE Cary, Middle Creek Area.
Jamison Park, West Lake, Park at Langston, Churchill Estates, Greyhawk Landing(maybe, $$$), and a few others.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
This input is a game-changer.
RDU is a busy mid-sized airport, and influences much of Cary, particularly West Cary into central Cary, and some of Apex.
Again, even if a home is in an area outside the noise level contours, it is possible to probable that there will be air traffic noise at some time in those areas..
Yep, I'm in SW Cary near Apex (10 miles from the airport) and I do hear an occasional plane overhead. I don't know how far you'd have to go from the airport to *never* hear a plane.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
We never hear planes over here off Weston.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
We never hear planes over here off Weston.
I think your idea of "never" and a disabled child who is terrified of airplane noise's idea of "never" might be two different things. I'm just sayin'. We lived in our house for 3 months before we ever noticed an airplane, and my kids were like "are we near the airport"....which is pretty funny, because we are closer to the airport here than we were in NY, yet in NY you had to halt all conversation when planes went overhead because we were under the flight path. We get plane noise here, we just don't notice it (and we are outside the notification zone).

Which is another thing to consider. Our noise from airplanes increased tremendously the last few years we were in NY because of changes to the flight pattern. Given the area that you are looking in has pretty close proximity to the airport, you need to consider that that may happen at some point.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I'm not sure there's anywhere in Cary where you NEVER hear a plane. For the OP, I'd probably look towards Bella Casa. At 16 miles from RDU, it's got to be a better bet than Cary.

edit: And as I'm typing this, I heard a plane through my closed windows. Distant, but distinct. To give you an idea, here's where I am:

http://goo.gl/maps/TnY74

Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think your idea of "never" and a disabled child who is terrified of airplane noise's idea of "never" might be two different things. I'm just sayin'. We lived in our house for 3 months before we ever noticed an airplane, and my kids were like "are we near the airport"....which is pretty funny, because we are closer to the airport here than we were in NY, yet in NY you had to halt all conversation when planes went overhead because we were under the flight path. We get plane noise here, we just don't notice it (and we are outside the notification zone).

Which is another thing to consider. Our noise from airplanes increased tremendously the last few years we were in NY because of changes to the flight pattern. Given the area that you are looking in has pretty close proximity to the airport, you need to consider that that may happen at some point.
Yeah. I see your point.

Honestly? Maybe I hear one (I do mean hear it, not strain to hear it) once a month or two. We are very close to the airport, but the flight path just works out that way. This is NOTHING like Preston. Or Carpenter Village (which is worse, IMO).

I assume that's why my neighborhood was one that Mike J suggested.

We do not hear them indoors, but that may be due to the way our house is built.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. I see your point.

Honestly? Maybe I hear one (I do mean hear it, not strain to hear it) once a month or two. We are very close to the airport, but the flight path just works out that way. This is NOTHING like Preston. Or Carpenter Village (which is worse, IMO).

I assume that's why my neighborhood was one that Mike J suggested.

We do not hear them indoors, but that may be due to the way our house is built.
I have heard a plane or two in Wessex, so it is hard to guarantee "never."

The OP needs to consider whether "never" is a requirement, or if "very seldom" will work.

But, West Lake is the best bet. I have had planes overhead in Chatham County, close to Jordan Lake, and would be concerned about Bella Casa, too, if "never" is the goal. Bella Casa is in a straightaway extension of the countour that passes over Preston, Macarthur Park, and the north end of Bishop's Gate.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I have heard a plane or two in Wessex, so it is hard to guarantee "never."

The OP needs to consider whether "never" is a requirement, or if "very seldom" will work.

But, West Lake is the best bet. I have had planes overhead in Chatham County, close to Jordan Lake, and would be concerned about Bella Casa, too, if "never" is the goal. Bella Casa is in a straightaway extension of the countour that passes over Preston, Macarthur Park, and the north end of Bishop's Gate.
Yeah. I thought of West Lake. That would work.

I think "never" is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary