Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,173 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods is starting to carry so many items that are not organic, that I find myself reading the labels there more than I do at regular grocery stores.

(Plus it's always so crowded!)

Can anyone recommend any alternatives? Are any good farmer's markets open this time of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
Try Welcome to NCFarmFresh.com ~ A directory for fresh North Carolina produce and products.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,732 times
The pickings are slim at the area markets The State Farmer's Market in Raleigh is going to have more selection than the smaller markets in Durham and Carrboro, but probably not much in the way of organic.

Have you tried Weaver Street? or the Durham Food Co-op?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,153,379 times
The Durham Farmer's Market is trying to stay open this winter for the first time, so start there, they need the business! Durham Farmers Market
They have a locally grown requirement, so you are going to get more local meats than vegetables this time of year.

The Carrboro Farmer's Market also has some limited opening for the winter and has a locally grown requirement: Carrboro and Southern Village Farmers' Markets in North Carolina

I believe the Cary, Wake Forest, and Moore Square Farmer's markets are all closed for the season.

The State Farmer's Market in Raleigh is open every day but does not have a lot of organic product.

Trader Joe's is opening in Chapel Hill November 30.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,387,555 times
Carrboro Farmer's Market is open on Tuesday 11/20 from 3 to 6 so that you can buy produce for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,131,945 times
Not sure which area you are located.... Earth Fare in Brier Creek carries a good mix of organic and conventional. They also try to carry local produce. I choose them over Whole Foods although it's a longer drive for me. Harmony Foods on Creedmoor and Millbrook (in Raleigh) has a small selection of organic foods. Check out the website. It is updated with the current inventory and color codes it. Larger Harris Teeter stores have a nice organic section. Also, Lowes Foods often highlight local and organic produce. This is usually limited to the newer Lowes Foods stores.

Of course, if you aren't opposed to imported organic foods, you can pick up salad mix and other veggies anywhere these days - including WalMart and Costco. I am a skeptic. So, I question the try organic nature of these product in light of all the recent recalls in toys, toothpaste, etc.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 44,916 times
Default Farmer's Market's

any new suggestions to Farmer's Markets in near North Raleigh?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM

14 posts, read 44,916 times
It would be great to have this farmer's market in North Raleigh! Check out link and sign petition! Thanks! Just found out about this.
http://frtcfarmersmarket.weebly.com/

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,972 times
wake forest has a saturday farmers market - and I believe it's year round.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM

646 posts, read 2,051,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
wake forest has a saturday farmers market - and I believe it's year round.
Not really. From their web site:

Every Saturday starting 1st Saturday in April until the 3rd Saturday in November 8am

Holiday markets 1st and 3rd Saturday in December

Winter Market with abbreviated hours in the regular parking lot :
3rd Saturday of January, February, and March 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary