Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,525 times

Advertisements

Hello guys and gals!

I'm in desperate need of a new pair of running shoes. The problem? I have a couple restrictions that are making it nigh impossible.

1) I have a slight to moderate collapse in my arch when I run, thus meaning I need stability running shoes, which are a little more pricey. Which leads me to...

2) I am on a VERY tight budget. Attending college isn't cheap. And it's bad when it's coming out of your own pocket.

So I'm looking for something that I will pay an absolute maximum of $70 for (including shipping). I would really love to find something even less. I know that "last year's model" will be cheaper, but I can't seem to find anything online. Going to an actual store is completely out of the question. I've called around and no one seems to carry any stability running shoes for anything less than ~$100. So, can anyone point me to something online that meet this criteria? After spending hours and hours over the past two weeks searching, I'm about to give up and just buy something cheap from PayLess or Walmart, regardless the impact on my feet.

Cheers,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times
Bull City Running's Tent Sale is in a couple of weeks. I've always been happy with them and their service. Maybe they will have something for you?

Bull City Running Co.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM

292 posts, read 507,478 times
If you ask any experienced runner, if they could only give one bit of advice, what would it be? Most of them would probably say don't skimp on shoes. They are the only bit of equipment that you have to buy that really matters to a runner, and they last a relatively long time with normal use. If you're into the range of "above normal use" (heavier runner or higher mileage), it makes an even greater case for not skimping.

It sounds like you've already decided that the $30 difference between running shoes and cheap shoes that look like running shoes but really aren't is worth risking long term damage to your knees or other injury. I'd urge you to reconsider. The knee replacement surgery down the road will cost a lot more than thirty bucks.

I also highly recommend trying the shoes in a store -- preferably one that has a treadmill you can get on and see how they feel during an actual run before the purchase.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Fleet Feet in Raleigh is great for this - they will watch you run, show you different support options, etc. Hard to find shoes for <70 but you'll have peace of mind that you're getting the RIGHT shoes. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
OP, how much do you pay for books each semester, $500? Seems like a good pair of shoes would be worth the price.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I would go to Fleet Feet or Bull City Running and let them fit you. They may be able to point you in the direction of some less expensive shoes. Different brands fit differently. I can wear Nike, but can't wear Adidas or New Balance.

They might also be able to offer you some advice on orthotic insoles that might help your arch problem.

If you're looking for an online option you might check out Zappos. They offer free shipping and returns.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 PM

527 posts, read 686,409 times
OP, I would go to a place and get fitted. Plan to spend between 110-120 bucks and do not skimp on your shoes - the risk of injury is so not worth it. I worked for a place here in Raleigh for over a year - the money is so worth a good, pain free run.

Fleet Feet Raleigh is where I'd try.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:30 PM

138 posts, read 256,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
If you ask any experienced runner, if they could only give one bit of advice, what would it be? Most of them would probably say don't skimp on shoes. They are the only bit of equipment that you have to buy that really matters to a runner, and they last a relatively long time with normal use.
I understand the tight budget, but personally I'd save somewhere else and spend the money for GOOD shoes. What shoe is GOOD for you depends on many factors, including your feet & running style, so I agree with others who have suggested getting fitted.

I have suffered from Plantar Fasciitis, and understand the importance of using the correct shoe. Without the correct shoe you will spend more money on medical issues or possible inability to walk {at least without pain}.

Good luck- I know being a student can put a strain on things

Old 09-07-2013, 04:20 PM

51 posts, read 83,528 times
Fleet Feet is good and I also like Capital Run Walk. No, they aren't less than 70 dollars, but the shoes were a zillion times better than Nike or New Balance. When I got my shoes I did a Google search for local coupons like this: (local shoe store) + coupon. I found one for Capital RunWalk that was 10 dollars of off any shoe that was 100 dollars or more. Don't know if they still offer that coupon but you could do a similar search for the other stores around here.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Try Kohls. Find a good one or two year old stability shoe online (or a few) and look for them in the store, their inventory is pretty much all older model shoes. Also DSW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary