Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM

120 posts, read 206,415 times

Advertisements

I have been checking/deciding between Cary and Durham and wondered DPS has gotten better in the last few years? I know that there were concerns around 2007 but wondered if it has gotten better since then?

I have been looking at the neighborhoods that go to Creekside, EK Powe, Hillandale, and eventually into Riverside or Jordan HS.

Thanks,
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,978 times
I think it's very difficult to generalize DPS as a whole. There are some great schools and some not so great. Because DPS doesn't bus according to socioeconomics, etc. you might have one school where 98% of the children are on free/reduced lunch vs. another school where it's more like 50% or 25%. The free/reduced lunch statistic seems to be a decent one for determining test scores, parent involvement, etc, though of course that's a generalization as well.

I think you're better off looking at the individual schools you're interested in. I know happy families at Creekside, Powe, and Hillandale - if you visit, you will get a better sense of them. They are quite different schools - Creekside is probably 3 times larger than Powe in terms of student population and space. You might look into Easley as well, which is the year-round option for the Hillandale Zone (by lottery).

Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
I moved out of Durham in 2007 primarily because of the school issue. Many of my friends still live in Durham though and have kids the same ages as mine, and I find that they are generally happy with their schools. Sometimes I wonder if my moving was justified. Most of my friends have applied for magnet programs, year round programs, or charter schools though, and don't just go to their base school. We are talking elementary here, so I don't know much about middle/high schools.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM

305 posts, read 761,784 times
I have a child who just started at Creekside, and I can say I'm not concerned about the quality of the school. It's definitely big, but I'm not too worried about her getting lost, literally or figuratively. It seems like a solid school. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the private and charter schools we considered -- she goes to gym class, not yoga or creative movement -- but the teachers are warm, experienced, and qualified; the curriculum is reasonable; and she's getting along with her fellow students so far. I'm not worried at this point about elementary, and I'd be happy with her attending Jordan. I like the idea that she is being exposed to a diversity of ideas, SES levels, races, religions, and perspectives. Where I haven't heard there is significant improvement in DPS at this point is student safety and academic rigor at the middle school level outside of the YR schools, so I'm watching that closely as we figure out what we'll do when she hits 6th grade. I look forward to seeing what other folks have to say.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 PM

I think the overwhelming choices are almost paralyzing to me. My kids are in a traditional school, no options for magnets, charter or anything like that until middle school, and then to come into a school system that is so different like DPS and so large like WCPSS is daunting to say the least.

I am intrigued by the montessori and all the different charters and magnets that are offered in Durham and in Raleigh, but are they really good? I mean they sound good and "fancy" but do they actually achieve those milestones and goals that the schools are aiming for in terms of specialty and focus? And if they are not, then what are the hinderances? Are they something systemic, personnel related or something more individual to each school that can be changed within reason?

I just want to make sure that I am getting a clear picture of these "special" schools as I am trying to contemplate where we should move to.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 PM

5,158 posts, read 3,767,024 times
I don't know how bad the schools could possibly be. So long as they are safe and the teachers care and are qualified there shouldn't be a problem. I went to grammar school fifty some years ago. Our books were every bit of 5 years old or more in most cases and if the kids wanted to learn they did. Parents have to accept some responsibility.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM

68 posts, read 134,231 times
The News and Observer recently posted an article about how Durham Schools are losing its share of students. When we relocated here we moved to Raleigh, but since then we have met other parents who intentionally took their children out of Durham schools for a variety of reasons. It seems, from those I've spoken with, that safety and general welfare is still an issue worth considering when thinking about Durham public schools. Again, I have not lived in Durham.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the response TomDewey. So have the parents moved out or opted for private school?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
Thanks for the response TomDewey. So have the parents moved out or opted for private school?
This happens in Durham, just as it is happening in Wake and other systems...private, charter, etc... Parents are exercising their choice when and if they can.

That said, we moved from Raleigh to Durham for public schools and have been pleased after 3+ years now. I think your list of schools is a good one and second the recommendation to add Easley to the list; that's where we are. I know plenty of folks with kids in DPS and all are generally pleased.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
OP, where are you coming from? It might help as there may be some posters from the same area who can do a comparison of schools here to those where you currently live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary