Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,751 times

Advertisements

We moved from Cary to Durham with all of the craziness that was going on in the Wake County School System...

We look forward to when Stella (2.5) goes to either Creekside (traditional) or Pearsontown (year round)....

Durham is a great option, do not overlook it!
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

679 posts, read 810,516 times
I've recently been looking into moving to Durham. Although we don't have children yet, we'll eventually need to think about schools once we do have kids. Most all of the houses we are interested in are in the Parkwood ES/Lowes Grove MS/Hillside HS school district. What is the opinion of these schools? I don't usually see these mentioned when people talk about the preferred Durham schools.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,618,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I've recently been looking into moving to Durham. Although we don't have children yet, we'll eventually need to think about schools once we do have kids. Most all of the houses we are interested in are in the Parkwood ES/Lowes Grove MS/Hillside HS school district. What is the opinion of these schools? I don't usually see these mentioned when people talk about the preferred Durham schools.
Yes. I think there's a reason those schools are not discussed They are not typically among the preferred DPS schools. I recommend Durham transplants with kids to focus their home search on a neighborhood school that they'd be happy with, and then if your school plans don't include lotteries for charters/magnets, or none of those pan out, you still have a solid option.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,618,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
I am intrigued by the montessori and all the different charters and magnets that are offered in Durham and in Raleigh, but are they really good? I mean they sound good and "fancy" but do they actually achieve those milestones and goals that the schools are aiming for in terms of specialty and focus? And if they are not, then what are the hinderances? Are they something systemic, personnel related or something more individual to each school that can be changed within reason?

I just want to make sure that I am getting a clear picture of these "special" schools as I am trying to contemplate where we should move to.
In terms of Durham, you cannot wisely base a move on charter/magnet schools unless a) you wait until you get into a particular charter or magnet and then move near it or b) move into guaranteed walk zone that some of the DPS magnets have (Watts, Morehead, Club Blvd, others).

The charter and DPS magnet schools operate on lottery systems (except magnets with walk zones), so you could potentially get into none of these schools. Or you could buy a home, apply a bunch of places, and then end up with a crazy commute. If you look at the charter schools that appeal mostly to families in Durham, you have Voyager, Kestral Heights, Sterling Montessori, Orange Charter, and Central Park School. I'm leaving some out, but if you plot these on a map, you'll see how completely spread out they are. If you move to SW Durham, apply for lotteries, and get only into Voyager for example, it's gonna be a long and unpleasant commute for a 7:30 elementary drop-off at Voyager.

I don't think there's anything "fancy" about the schools. My child is in a year round magent, so not too different than the traditional DPS schools, but I have talked to plenty of people with kids at charters and magnets. Charters can operate somewhat outside the boundaries of the regular public schools, so they have a lot more flexibility in what they can do. They typically have smaller class sizes and may have a theme like project based learning. The magnets have a theme like Montessori or Arts, etc. so students may have special programming not available at non-magnets (like dance or drama at Sandy Ridge).

There are crappy magnets and charters just as there are crappy regular schools. Good schools tend to have a strong, respected, and effective principal, great teachers, and involved parents. You can find this in all different kinds of schools in many different places.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM

120 posts, read 206,469 times
Thanks Jill7930 for your insights. I hadn't thought about Durham being so spread out and if I were to work, it would make dropping off and pick up difficult. And I have read that getting into most of the highly sought after charters are quite difficult and you may never get in! So you have to be willing to go to your zoned school or seek private.

To answer a previous poster, we are currently in a suburb of Richmond called Glen Allen. We are in a highly rated ES with no options for anything other than our home schools that we are zoned for. It is pretty simple, you go to school where you are districted for. Options get a little bit more complicated as you enter middle or high school but they are mainly based on academics and not lottery.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM

68 posts, read 134,264 times
Yes, I believe some parents have chosen private/charter over public schools. But, as others have pointed out, Durham is indeed spread out (options). Durham does have a new class of people who are very involved in the community, so I imagine things in the schools could turn towards the other direction quickly.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM

72 posts, read 288,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
... It seems, from those I've spoken with, that safety and general welfare is still an issue worth considering when thinking about Durham public schools. Again, I have not lived in Durham.
Safety and general welfare are issues worth considering when thinking about ANY school, public or private, Durham or elsewhere. Certainly there are areas of Durham and particular schools where this may seem to be more of a concern, just like essentially any decent sized town. We live in Durham and have children in public, magnet, and charter schools in Durham. We have not had any concerns at all about safety and general welfare in Durham - zero incidents, zero accidents, zero complaints. This is first hand experience over 20+ cumulative school years in Durham. Incidentally, our son will leave his charter school next year to return to public school - we feel that he will have more and better academic options at the public school. Not every school is the same, but there are plenty of options if you are willing to seek the right solutions for your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
Yes, I believe some parents have chosen private/charter over public schools.... Durham does have a new class of people who are very involved in the community, so I imagine things in the schools could turn towards the other direction quickly.
This is great news! I can't wait to meet this "new class of people" here to relieve those of us who have been so dedicated to this wonderful community for the past decades. Though, not so sure I'm excited about the prospect of our schools "turning the other direction" - we've seen how that has gone in Wake county (I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course. I would not presume to know anything about what Wake county or any other school districts).

Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 AM

120 posts, read 206,469 times
Gopher Blue, could I ask where your kids are currently attending? I think as long as my kids safety is not a concern, I would be open to DPS.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM

162 posts, read 461,206 times
The schools in the northern part of Durham county are great! My kids went to Little River Elementary, Carrington Middle School, and Riverside High School. The last one is in Voyager Charter School. There is a very loyal group for Northern High School and a new middle school and elementary school have opened. I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids again to any of those schools. Very involved parents and solid track records. As with any school in any county, you're going to have your less desirable elements. I would not discount Durham schools in any way. Plenty of successful people have graduated from them.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM

72 posts, read 288,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
Gopher Blue, could I ask where your kids are currently attending? I think as long as my kids safety is not a concern, I would be open to DPS.
Creekside Elem (public), Voyager Academy (charter), DSA/Durham School of the Arts middle and HS (public magnet), and Jordan HS (public).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary