Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 15,643 times

Advertisements

There are sooo many Chinese restaurants in the area, yet most them are take out and buffet crap. Though there are a few sit down places in the area that serve real authentic down to home stuff and I'd like to share a few with y'all:

1. Hong Kong on Guess rd in Durham. Really nice dim sum. Always stir up some good memories of living in Hong Kong for a few years back in the 90s every time I eat there. This place is always packed on weekends. Just wish they would renovate or relocate to a larger place (Honey's?)

2. Dimsum House on Jerusalem rd in Morrisville. Pretty good but not as good as Hong Kong.

3. Taipei Cafe on Chapel Hill rd in Morrisville. Runs by a lady who used to run Mama Wok in Cary. They serve Peking Duck but have to call in a day before.

4. Super Wok off E. Chatham and Maynard in Cary. Lotsa spicy stuff!

5. Gourmet Kingdom on E. Main st in Carrboro. Pretty good for the folks in the Chapel Hill area.

6. Captain J's Restaurant off Calvary and Capital in Raleigh. This place is a mixture of strangeness and greatness; it's got a nasty and unappetizing buffet but the sit down order menu is phenomenal. I thought this place was a rerun of that buffet that got bad mouthed on channel 5 and shut down by the health department but apparently it's not. They've got couple chefs straight from Flushing in New York so it's almost like Chinatown food in Raleigh!

It's close to lunch time so wish y'all Boun Appetite and enjoy these Chinese gems in the Triangle area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
hah I had no idea Captain J's was Chinese food. I assumed it was calabash or something.

35 in Cary has great food as long as you order off the Chinese menu and not the American menu. Bar Able is good for Chinese drinking food. Kinda sorta like tapas I guess.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,015 times
They cant relocate to Honeys...I think they are tearing down that building.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrarot328i View Post
There are sooo many Chinese restaurants in the area, yet most them are take out and buffet crap. Though there are a few sit down places in the area that serve real authentic down to home stuff and I'd like to share a few with y'all:

1. Hong Kong on Guess rd in Durham. Really nice dim sum. Always stir up some good memories of living in Hong Kong for a few years back in the 90s every time I eat there. This place is always packed on weekends. Just wish they would renovate or relocate to a larger place (Honey's?)

2. Dimsum House on Jerusalem rd in Morrisville. Pretty good but not as good as Hong Kong.

3. Taipei Cafe on Chapel Hill rd in Morrisville. Runs by a lady who used to run Mama Wok in Cary. They serve Peking Duck but have to call in a day before.

4. Super Wok off E. Chatham and Maynard in Cary. Lotsa spicy stuff!

5. Gourmet Kingdom on E. Main st in Carrboro. Pretty good for the folks in the Chapel Hill area.

6. Captain J's Restaurant off Calvary and Capital in Raleigh. This place is a mixture of strangeness and greatness; it's got a nasty and unappetizing buffet but the sit down order menu is phenomenal. I thought this place was a rerun of that buffet that got bad mouthed on channel 5 and shut down by the health department but apparently it's not. They've got couple chefs straight from Flushing in New York so it's almost like Chinatown food in Raleigh!

It's close to lunch time so wish y'all Boun Appetite and enjoy these Chinese gems in the Triangle area!
As you mentioned, the Captain J's location had an unbelievably bad health report involving rodent infestation in its previous incarnation as the Yong Feng Lou Chinese buffet. Hopefully the ownership and sanitation has changed as well as the food selections.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrarot328i View Post

I'm not Chinese but my partner is. I find Hong Kong to be filthy. I like the food but I hate eating food in a dirty environment. Dimsum House is where we go most of the time. We like waiting for the carts and I don't like it when they hand us a menu and ask us to order from that.

I am still looking for a place to get (Taiwan) stinky tofu.

EDIT: It is interesting that Hong Kong gets a higher health rating than Dim Sum House. HK still feels dirty to me.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

Tapei101 in Cary (if they are still open, last time I drove by, I wasn't sure) definitely has/had it. Superwok probably does too.

And you "might" try Grand Asia.

BTW, for OT, Grand Asia is cafeteria style, but really good, and fun. My daugher and I go and split a $6.50 tray all the time, and it's plenty for two. 3 "foods" plus a trainload of white rice.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 15,643 times
Quote:
Oh I forgot about Taipei 101 on E. Chatham in downtown Cary, across from the new theatre construction site.

I think they still sell stinky tofu. I've never tried them there but I did once back in Hong Kong. Tofu was okay but the smell from the frying oil was quite nauseating! Some people loved them so much that they would bring'em to work everyday just to stink up the place! To each its own I guess...

Yeah Hong Kong was quite filthy when I was there. I guess the standards over there are just different than here. Think Clyde Cooper's or B's Barbeque in Greenville vs. Sanitary in Morehead City lol. People would go eat/pack the place regardless of its sanitation condition.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro had stinky tofu last time I was there. They also had 1000 year eggs, sauteed lotus root and other less common items.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
I need to add C & T Wok Restaurant in Morrisville. GREAT authentic food. I found out about the place from a physician I work with who is Taiwanese. She and her family live in North Raleigh, eat there often as do her parents who live in Chapel Hill. The restaurant also has both American and Chinese menus. The place is small; last time I was there we were the only non-Asians....proof it's good!

http://www.ctwokrestaurant.com/

Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro had stinky tofu last time I was there. They also had 1000 year eggs, sauteed lotus root and other less common items.
You can also get a good amount of such things at Grand Asia Market. Especially those eggs. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary