Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,373,274 times

Advertisements

^Yeah. That's why they want applause held until the end.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 PM

606 posts, read 906,161 times
When my daughter graduated it was at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. The kids were told to warn their parents that if they cheered and carried on, their child wouldn't get their diploma. I thought that was a harsh threat. That being said, the people that cheered and carried on screaming, were very rude and I was embarrassed for their child. I'm not talking about clapping and a small little cheer. Most people couldn't contain themselves and act like adults. Sadly, the poor children that were called immediately after the kids that were cheered, lost out the most. No one could hear their names being called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
When my daughter graduated it was at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. The kids were told to warn their parents that if they cheered and carried on, their child wouldn't get their diploma. I thought that was a harsh threat. That being said, the people that cheered and carried on screaming, were very rude and I was embarrassed for their child. I'm not talking about clapping and a small little cheer. Most people couldn't contain themselves and act like adults. Sadly, the poor children that were called immediately after the kids that were cheered, lost out the most. No one could hear their names being called.
Yup. This is why I had to warn my mother, of all people, not to make a fuss when my son graduated.

She kept it to one wolf whistle. I was amazed. She totally embarrassed me at my graduation.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM

1,323 posts, read 1,541,767 times
Back in the day, I guess my parents ASSUMED that I would graduate from high school, so it wasn't a hollering event. Are things more touch and go these days? But, seriously,I think part of it is that some people are just compelled to do what they are asked not to do. Immature and self-absorbed.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,623,498 times
My son graduated from Apex High in 2007 at Reynolds Coliseum. It was 96 degrees that day with no AC. We were in a balcony that was directly in front of the stage which was a great vantage point for seeing the graduates sitting AND walking across the stage. However...being dressed up, and huddled with the families of the other 500 graduates, we were sticking to our seats and clothes by the time they got through the first 50 of those 500 names.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,036,565 times
We had almost 1,000 people in my graduating class and it was held in my school's arena-style gym (so families in the raised seats and us on the floor). Do schools here not have venues on campus that would accommodate graduation?

Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
My son graduated from Apex High in 2007 at Reynolds Coliseum. It was 96 degrees that day with no AC. We were in a balcony that was directly in front of the stage which was a great vantage point for seeing the graduates sitting AND walking across the stage. However...being dressed up, and huddled with the families of the other 500 graduates, we were sticking to our seats and clothes by the time they got through the first 50 of those 500 names.
Yup. I did that the year after. It was just as hot and miserable.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:39 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,457,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
We had almost 1,000 people in my graduating class and it was held in my school's arena-style gym (so families in the raised seats and us on the floor). Do schools here not have venues on campus that would accommodate graduation?
No, they don't. The bonds approved don't even cover construction for the appropriate number of students, much less arena-style gymnasiums.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,050,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Back in the day, I guess my parents ASSUMED that I would graduate from high school, so it wasn't a hollering event. Are things more touch and go these days? But, seriously,I think part of it is that some people are just compelled to do what they are asked not to do. Immature and self-absorbed.
People have always cheered at loved ones accomplishments..
Self absorbed ?? good grief..

Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
People have always cheered at loved ones accomplishments..
Self absorbed ?? good grief..
If you know that extended cheering will drown out the name of another graduate?

Yes. It's self absorbed and incredibly rude.

Nobody's kid is gonna be upset if the parents leave the bullhorn at home. Trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary