Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Given Ikea's penchant for cheap land, I too think that the Triangle's eventual store will be between Raleigh and Benson on I-40. Who knows?
Ikea will clearly want to capture Fayetteville, Wilmington and all of Eastern NC with their second NC store location. I'd be very surprised if Ikea located near the center the Triangle or on its western edge.
The challenge with that location is, Fayetteville, Wilmington and Eastern NC are not classic IKEA markets. Young families/professionals, college students and folks in transition are. More urban areas would tend to attract them.

My assumption of the 40/85 corridor is due to the much higher vehicular traffic, proximity to the Triad, and close to UNC, NC State and Duke. Essentially, pick up the Triangle plus all the through traffic on I-85, which is a significant N/S corridor.

I just can't imagine the ENC market being attractive to IKEA. Not that I don't think it will be some years before they come here, mind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
The challenge with that location is, Fayetteville, Wilmington and Eastern NC are not classic IKEA markets. I just can't imagine the ENC market being attractive to IKEA. Not that I don't think it will be some years before they come here, mind you.
I agree. Someone else mentioned a location near Benson in order to cater to "Coastal" folks. It wouldn't make any sense for Ikea to open a location there. Folks from eastern NC already make regular shopping trips to Crabtree, etc. for shopping. A more central location would be ideal.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 AM

606 posts, read 903,342 times
Hmm what about down by Smithfield for a location? Just tossing it out there but I doubt IKEA will be coming to this side of the state any time soon. I like IKEA. I'd shop there more if one was closer.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
The challenge with that location is, Fayetteville, Wilmington and Eastern NC are not classic IKEA markets. Young families/professionals, college students and folks in transition are. More urban areas would tend to attract them.
But the market in Fayetteville/Ft Bragg is probably one of the places in the state with the highest amount of transition. Big numbers of military families are moving in and out of Fayetteville every year. Folks from Fayetteville already come up to Raleigh and Durham to shop, so I think on the south side of the Triangle (my suggestion was near Southpoint) would be ideal. Fayetteville is also home to two smaller universities which could figure into the market. UNC-W students in Wilmington would likely be interested in an IKEA, too.

Looking at the Forbes Migration Map (which is just fun) the figures they have for Cumberland County are 33,400 for inbound migration which is right up there compared to the Wake County number of 56,600. Forsyth Co (Winston-Salem) is only 16,800 inbound migration and Guilford is 23,600, for a combined total inbound migration number of 40,400. Add in Harnett County (10,800) to Cumberland Co's number and you've got 44,200, not counting Moore Co, Hoke Co and Lee Co which also see a lot of young military families moving in.

FWIW, New Hanover Co has an inbound migration number of 13,000. Onslow County (Camp LeJeune) has an inbound migration of 23,400.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,164,862 times
Quote:
My assumption of the 40/85 corridor is due to the much higher vehicular traffic, proximity to the Triad, and close to UNC, NC State and Duke. Essentially, pick up the Triangle plus all the through traffic on I-85, which is a significant N/S corridor.

Doesn't make any sense to stick one right between two current Ikea stores, which is what the I-85/I-40 corridor does. Moot point anyways, as it's not planned, and likely to never happen.

But if it were, Morrisville, near the old outlet mall, would be a major boost to renovating the shopping in that area.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
It's interesting looking where IKEA currently has stores. They do have some clustered as other folks were saying, like around DC and Philly.

See complete IKEA store list
Arizona
Tempe

California
Burbank
Carson
Covina
East Palo Alto
Emeryville
Orange County Costa Mesa
San Diego
West Sacramento

Colorado
Centennial

Connecticut
New Haven

Florida
Orlando
Sunrise
Tampa

Georgia
Atlanta

Illinois
Bolingbrook
Schaumburg

Maryland
Baltimore
College Park

Massachusetts
Stoughton

Michigan
Canton

Minnesota
Twin Cities

New Jersey
Elizabeth
Paramus

New York
Brooklyn
Long Island

North Carolina
Charlotte

Ohio
West Chester

Oregon
Portland

Pennsylvania
Conshohocken
Pittsburgh
South Philadelphia

Texas
Dallas
Houston
Round Rock

Utah
Draper

Virginia
Woodbridge

Washington
Seattle

Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Maybe this article will be helpful:

Is IKEA Coming To ... [My Town]? » IKEA FANS | THE IKEA Fan Community

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM

72 posts, read 128,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedeadmau5 View Post
you sound like someone who calls somewhere around woodbridge home.
Smokey Bones for BBQ!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
But the market in Fayetteville/Ft Bragg is probably one of the places in the state with the highest amount of transition. Big numbers of military families are moving in and out of Fayetteville every year. Folks from Fayetteville already come up to Raleigh and Durham to shop, so I think on the south side of the Triangle (my suggestion was near Southpoint) would be ideal. Fayetteville is also home to two smaller universities which could figure into the market. UNC-W students in Wilmington would likely be interested in an IKEA, too.
And beach homeowners are always needing new furniture for their rental houses after a hurricane lol.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Quote:
Population Density: The most basic requirement for a market is population. IKEA’s market research calls for a minimum of two million people within about 40-60 miles of a single media market. Statistical data from the US Census is used to determine whether a market is viable simply on the grounds of population density. Metropolitan Statistical Areas may be used as long as the population is in one media market.
Well we've got that one in the bag:

Quote:
The eight-county region, officially named the Raleigh–Durham–Chapel Hill CSA, comprises the Raleigh–Cary and Durham–Chapel Hill metropolitan areas and the Dunn Micropolitan Statistical Area. A 2012 Census Estimate put the population at 1,998,808.[1] The Raleigh–Durham television market includes a broader 23-county area which includes Fayetteville, and has a population of 2,726,000 persons.[2]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary