Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM

90 posts, read 367,045 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from Northern Virginia to Raleigh. Schools are primary concern, so we are applying to Ravenscroft. We would, however, like to also build a home (probably 2m+). We sort of narrowed down the options to Hasentree and North Ridge (purchasing 2 homes beside each other, tearing down, and then building). The proximity of North Ridge to Ravenscroft is attractive, but so is a neighborhood of all new residents, which Hasentree offers. That is what we moved into in Virginia and we found everyone eager to meet one another. How would the commute from Hasentree to Ravenscroft be?

Second question...Anyone familiar with how the lifestyle feels in Raleigh compared to Northern Virginia? We have 3 young children. I have lived in the DC area for about 40 years and think a change would be nice.

Thank you for any insights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Hasentree to Ravenscroft would take about 15-20 minutes. It is a nice easy drive for the most part. Hasentree is a very beautiful neighborhood. I have inspected houses in just about every spot in the triangle, and it is my favorite hands down!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
Default Rush hour commute time?

Thank you for replying to my post. Would the commute take 15-20 on average in the morning to get the kids to school by 7:45/8:00? Do you know what the feeling is like in the Hasentree area of Raleigh. We live very close to DC and would like something a little more relaxed.

Thanks...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Hasentree is beautiful, but it is located north of Highway 98, which means its pretty much out of "Raleigh". It is very rural around there, with Falls Lake and a lot of old farmland and forests surrounding it. There are some great country roads that are perfect for cycling out that way. It will take you at least 10 minutes to get to pretty much anything from Hasentree. As for the 15-20 min AM commute, that sounds about right. However, the traffic heading south in the mornings and north in the evenings seems to get worse by the week, so that could change as more developemnt continues to occur in the northern part of Wake County.

The North Ridge location is awesome, especially since you're looking at Ravenscroft. It is also convenient to one of the best shopping centers in N. Raleigh and you could even be downtown in 20 minutes or less from there. However, there are mixed opinions of teardowns around here, so if being accepted with open arms by your future neighbors is of great importance to you, Hasentree may be the better bet.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Hasentree (queen mommy from this forum lives there) is beautiful! I think there are now three family living there. If you live in hasentree, my guess is *most* of your shopping, every day life will be in wake forest. Wake Forest is definitely a smaller town feel, much much less traffic than you are used to in NOVA, and there is enough here now so that shopping is fine. They are in the process of adding many new businesses, etc which may help in the future. Ravenscroft is probably about 10 miles, but it is down falls of neuse which can back up in the morning. I don't know what it will be like when they start the bridge reconstruction. You do have another option, 98 to six forks, which is a little longer mileage wise, but may be a shorter commute time wise. North ridge is definitely closer to ravenscroft, but it all depends on the amenities that you want, the time for construction, and how well the house will then fit in the surrounding neighborhood.

Anyhow, I think either choice will good it just depends on your family! There is another person on the forum (I am sure there are many) but she just moved from NOVA to wake forest, her user name is beadlady. She may be able to give you more insight into the differences.

Good luck!

Leigh

Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I find that its always easier to meet people when you move into a newer neighborhood. When our neighborhood was new, we had pot luck dinners, 4th of July parties, etc. As people move, the neighborhood will change. Moving into an older neighborhood where friendships are much more established just means that it may take you a bit longer to meet your neighbors.

Vicki

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 31,536 times
Default Hasentree -Moved from South Raleigh to North

Originally from the Atlanta Area, I've found that it doesn't matter where you live - north or south of Raleigh, getting anywhere here is a piece of cake comparatively. I don't know how that will measure up to DC, but my friend who moved here from the DC area 7 years ago agrees with me about the traffic. As for Hasentree... I beleive you 'll have a hard time beating the opportunities that new neighborhood can offer. Privacy yet convenience. I have spent alot of time in there and I LOVE the quiet life it affords and yet I can be to another area of Raleigh/Wake Forest/Durham from Hwy 98 in minutes.

P.S. you might consider looking at the older part of Keith Road inside Hasentree. You can get a much larger lot which would accomodate an estate the size you're wanting to build and still have room to play without spending 1/2 your budget on the land....

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM

354 posts, read 1,217,552 times
Remember, in Hasentree and most communities custom builder's add 6% to their construction (+ land price) that the buyer ends up picking the tab for to pay for the real estate commission.

So go in with a buyer's agent that will only charge you a flat fee and rebate back their portion of the commission. The savings on a 2M house could be $40k to $50K. No loose change.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Ummm...excuse me. Who told you that the selling agent gets the 6%???

FYI...so you won't seem so WRONG, in the future...the listing agent or onsite agent gets 2.5%, developer gets 1% and selling agent gets 2.5% (in this case senerio, as commission are not "set").

Now that I've enlightened you...perhaps you can do the math correctly.

Have a great day!

Vicki

Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ummm...excuse me. Who told you that the selling agent gets the 6%???

FYI...so you won't seem so WRONG, in the future...the listing agent or onsite agent gets 2.5%, developer gets 1% and selling agent gets 2.5% (in this case senerio, as commission are not "set").

Now that I've enlightened you...perhaps you can do the math correctly.

Have a great day!

Vicki
Don't misquote me! I never said the selling agent gets 6%. Where did you get that from?

No reason to get all excited. Do the math 2.5% of 2M is 50k. Let me know whose math is wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary