Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,736,531 times

Advertisements

These pests are overrunning my feeders!!! Any suggestions on foods they don't like or humane management suggestions???
I thought switching to safflower seed and a millet mix might help but they're still here and driving me bonkers, AND keeping away my bluebirds and finches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,617,172 times
I had to google that one!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,032,736 times
Me too! I let any bird that drops by feed at our feeders - even the furry wingless ones with bushy tails. We don't discriminate in Chapel Hill.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM

528 posts, read 941,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Me too! I let any bird that drops by feed at our feeders - even the furry wingless ones with bushy tails. We don't discriminate in Chapel Hill.
That's funny. I tell my husband that all the time (why does he care what "type" of bird eats the food he puts out) but he complains that the grackles are hogs and empty out the feeder so soon that the other birds never get a shot.

For the OP, unfortunately, we haven't figured out how to solve this other than "shooing" them off when we see them (losing battle but it gets us a little exercise running around waving our arms like idiots). ;-)

Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,256,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
These pests are overrunning my feeders!!! Any suggestions on foods they don't like or humane management suggestions???
I thought switching to safflower seed and a millet mix might help but they're still here and driving me bonkers, AND keeping away my bluebirds and finches
What type of bird feeders do you have? I have 6 bird feeders in my yard and had an issue with them a few weeks ago. Grackles and Starlings LOVE hopper feeders. I temporarily took down my hopper feeder and put it in the garage. The finches, chicadees, and nutchatches were still able to eat food out of my caged tube bird feeders and caged suet feeder. The cage kept out the larger, aggressive, unwanted birds. I also have the Dinner Bell bird feeder from Wild Birds Unlimited. I lowered the dome on it and that also prevented the grackles from taking it over. My caged Bluebird feeders allow them to eat in peace. Woodpeckers were still able to eat from my upside down suet feeder.

I buy all of my feeders from Wild Birds Unlimited. I know their feeders can be expensive. But, you get what you pay for. I am no longer wasting money on unwanted visitors including squirrels, grackles, raccoon, or possums!

On a positive note---Grackles and Starling are usually around for just a few weeks. They will eventually move on!

Last edited by escapenc; 04-24-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,647 times
We have also found that the grackles and starlings tend to descend in groups and empty the feeder out quickly, spilling lots of food on the ground. They don't bother our tube feeder or our squirrel proof feeder that has a perch and spins. But they make fast work of our feeder that has a tray. This particular large feeder has a roof so we bought a wireless door bell chime at the hardware store (make sure it works on batteries not a plug in). It cost $9.99. We fastened the chime to the feeder (on the tray) and can ring the bell from inside the house. For some strange reason the grackles and starlings do not like that bell and will fly away whenever we ring it. The other birds tend to ignore it. I figure our neighbors wonder what the heck is going on, but they have never complained (we have great neighbors and are on good terms with them). Anyway, we have used the doorbell for several years now and it has worked for us. Can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,700,359 times
Ahh, so that's what they are! You can try my method...

When I see them at my feeder, I open the door and clap. They fly away. 5 minutes later, they are back. I go out and clap and they fly away. They come back 5 minutes later. I go out and clap and they go away. We repeat this several times until either they or I give up. Seems to work

What has helped a little is that I have one of those Squirrel Buster feeders that have a sliding cage that is activated by weight. The Grackles are large enough to lower it a bit if one sits on it, and closes if more join in. This has reduced the activity at that feeder quite a bit.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,787,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1977BA View Post
We have also found that the grackles and starlings tend to descend in groups and empty the feeder out quickly, spilling lots of food on the ground. They don't bother our tube feeder or our squirrel proof feeder that has a perch and spins. But they make fast work of our feeder that has a tray. This particular large feeder has a roof so we bought a wireless door bell chime at the hardware store (make sure it works on batteries not a plug in). It cost $9.99. We fastened the chime to the feeder (on the tray) and can ring the bell from inside the house. For some strange reason the grackles and starlings do not like that bell and will fly away whenever we ring it. The other birds tend to ignore it. I figure our neighbors wonder what the heck is going on, but they have never complained (we have great neighbors and are on good terms with them). Anyway, we have used the doorbell for several years now and it has worked for us. Can't guarantee it will work for everyone.
Fantastic idea !!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,189,003 times
I have no "humane" suggestions. But they non-native species like starlings, many will suggest you "thin the herd".

Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,736,531 times
Well first, let me bow to the genius of the bell on the feeder! GREAT idea!
I have 4 suet cages, 1 Squirrel buster, 1 tube feeder, a small saucer-like hanging dish for the mealworms, and an old coir-lined planter which has worked well for songbirds as a feeder and a supplier of nesting material. And 2 hummer feeders which the squirrels LOVE to empty when they get thirsty!
My issue is that of some of you- the Grackles intimidate all my smaller birds away; not to mention how they wipe out the suet blocks in a single day! I hope that they will move along soon so that the bluebird and the finches will return.
I will try to be patient and hope they move along soon.
What are you all putting in your feeders?- and why did you choose that?

Does anyone have tips for getting Orioles? I've tried orange slices and apple slices in the past, to no avail. I had them in mesh bags, though. Poor choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary