Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 21,168 times

Advertisements

29 year old single relocating to Raleigh area in August. Will be teaching in Angier but hoping to live closer to Raleigh downtown. Any suggestions for apartments within 25 miles or so of Angier towards downtown area? Looking to go up to $900/mo and would like complex with fitness center. Searches so far have been overwhelming. How bad would commute be from downtown area to Angier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lia55 View Post
29 year old single relocating to Raleigh area in August. Will be teaching in Angier but hoping to live closer to Raleigh downtown. Any suggestions for apartments within 25 miles or so of Angier towards downtown area? Looking to go up to $900/mo and would like complex with fitness center. Searches so far have been overwhelming. How bad would commute be from downtown area to Angier?
I would look in Garner, but I don't have any specific apartment recommendations. You can put in a downtown address, say, Fayetteville St, and the address of the school in Angier, into Google maps to see what it says the commute would be.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,184 times
I've certainly never commuted to Angier, but I think that commuting there from Downtown Raleigh would be long but doable, as long as you factor the extra time and gas into your decision-making upfront. I've definitely met people who do the opposite, commuting to Downtown Raleigh from Harnett County every day, which personally seems a bit nutty, but different strokes for different folks. And going the other way you'd be going against traffic, which would help a lot. As Francois suggested, you could shorten your commute considerably by at least moving part-ways towards Angier, such as Garner or even Fuquay, but that would mean a more suburban setting. Also, the southern part of Raleigh and Garner is traditionally a pretty middle-class and working-class area, so while it is a very nice place to live, there aren't as many big modern apartment complexes with fitness centers there as in some parts of the region. There are now some apartments with good fitness centers in Garner, though I don't have enough experience with them to specifically recommend any. Or how about the Renaissance Park development on the south side of Raleigh? It offers a nice balance of urban and suburban living, and has a pretty nice fitness center. I have known several people who have lived at Renaissance Park over the years and have enjoyed it tremendously. It's a short drive, bus ride, or bike ride, or a longish walk, from Downtown Raleigh, while still allowing for a fairly straight-shot commute to Angier. To me, that would seem worth checking out.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
If you can part with the downtown Raleigh thing, there are some nice apartments at the White Oak shopping center in Garner. You could walk/bike to everything in that shopping center and still be really close to work. You'd also be like a 10 min. or so drive to downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
Abberly place in garner...white oak plaza. I have many friends and co workers that teach in johnston county or harnett county that lived there when they moved here from out of state. We hung out there alot with them and is very nice....2 beautiful pool areas, fitness and rec center, Internet cafe etc. $800 to $1200 depend on floor and bedrooms.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
I have to go a little against the grain here and say don't give up on living downtown! As tompope said, you'll be going against most traffic, and with teaching, probably driving a little earlier than most so I'd say the commute is totally do-able. Plus, since you'll be living in downtown, you'll have access to all the nice young people things to do :-) I have quite a few friends who are teachers in Johnston Co and Harnett Co who live in/very near downtown Raleigh (many of their coworkers do too). I'm 30, single and live downtown and I love it. Always lots to do, easy to meet people because most people our age come downtown for weekend nights from elsewhere if they don't live here already. It's entirely possible to find a 1 bedroom in your budget, but you have to be diligent - check craigslist often, call the more established complexes/buildings and ask about move out dates of current tenets, etc. If you've got some specific places/areas you're looking at, let me (or the rest of the board too) know and you should be able to get good feedback when we can hone in on a certain spot.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I have to go a little against the grain here and say don't give up on living downtown! As tompope said, you'll be going against most traffic, and with teaching, probably driving a little earlier than most so I'd say the commute is totally do-able. Plus, since you'll be living in downtown, you'll have access to all the nice young people things to do :-) I have quite a few friends who are teachers in Johnston Co and Harnett Co who live in/very near downtown Raleigh (many of their coworkers do too). I'm 30, single and live downtown and I love it. Always lots to do, easy to meet people because most people our age come downtown for weekend nights from elsewhere if they don't live here already. It's entirely possible to find a 1 bedroom in your budget, but you have to be diligent - check craigslist often, call the more established complexes/buildings and ask about move out dates of current tenets, etc. If you've got some specific places/areas you're looking at, let me (or the rest of the board too) know and you should be able to get good feedback when we can hone in on a certain spot.
I'll just add that $900 for a complex with amenities in downtown is going to be nearly impossible. The OP might have to give up the onsite fitness center and look at some of the older properties. I do agree that it's well worth it though for everything that DT offers a single person.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 21,168 times
Thanks so much for the great information! Garner may fit the bill but don't want to exclude downtown altogether. Has anyone had experience with Wedgewood apartments which looks to be downtown? And for those living downtown, what is parking like? Coming from Chicago and having lived in the city, parking is a pain (and expensive).

Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lia55 View Post
Thanks so much for the great information! Garner may fit the bill but don't want to exclude downtown altogether. Has anyone had experience with Wedgewood apartments which looks to be downtown? And for those living downtown, what is parking like? Coming from Chicago and having lived in the city, parking is a pain (and expensive).
I've had some friends who lived in Wedgewood and they liked it well enough. Nothing super special, but if the price is right, I'd say go for it. It's walkable to Glenwood South and all the things there, and you can also hop on to the R-Line (Raleigh's free downtown circulator bus) and get off anywhere else downtown you like. Cameron Village is super close to Wedgewood so you'd have a very quick walk to the shops and restaurants there as well. Parking downtown can be a pain, but most of the buildings/complexes offer at least 1 space per tenant.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
Default Moving to Triangle

I am a 50 year old outgoing female and I am thinking about moving to the Raleigh-Durham area next June 2013. I work in a professional field that could be stressful at times and I am looking for a condo or townhouse subdivision where I would be able to walk to coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife (nice adult conversations and good music) or live within a short drive to adequate and safe parking to enjoy amenities. I am looking in the 250K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary