Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to North Carolina: first time home buyers, cross country moving, housing, high tech jobs, vegetarian living.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,658,570 times

Advertisements

Currently, I still live in Massachusetts (about 35 miles outside Boston) but have been wanting to leave. I'm in a similar boat as you, single, want to buy a decent home but can't afford one in my area without being "housebroke".

I've been to Raleigh quite a bit and also Austin, TX. I can't help you on the other cities you've mentioned. Raleigh and Austin are similar to me in that they both have most city amentities with more of a town atmosphere. Austin does have a nice lake, Lake Travis and I think has a great vibe. I think Raleigh has the potential to have an even better vibe very soon. Every time I'm back there it seems more and more "up-in-coming" in a way. I met quite a few young professionals and they were all very nice and easy to talk to. Glenwood South was definitely a fun time. I just never experience that in the Boston area. Add in the high cost of living and the cold weather, I don't think this area was ever for me.

The thing I like about Raleigh is you can go the coast, the mountains, Durham, and Chapel Hill all within decent times. Washington D.C. is only 3 1/2 hours away and Charlotte isn't too far. I have seen bigger bugs, but nothing that bad. I would say the humidity overall is less in Raleigh than in Austin. Austin is about 3 1/2 hours from the ocean. Texas has less overall taxes, but real estate in Austin is among the highest in the state. From what I looked at rents and homes around Austin will be more than the Raleigh area.

Racism or bigotry exists everywhere, but I've seen more and heard more it in and around Boston than any southern city I've been to. That isn't too say one is less or more biased than the other, but northern cities like to say they are "progessive" and "open-minded", but that isn't always the case.

I would try to visit if I were you and if you move stay around or inside the beltline where more young professionals are. The suburbs from what i've read and seen are really nice, but consist of mostly young families. North Carolina is a really beautiful state though and the majority of the people have always been very curtious and respectful when I and others have been there. People in Texas were also the same way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,537,034 times
DCGrl wrote such a nice summary about racism and its complexities in the south that I really don't need to add anything.

As "Jew-Bu"s, we are not lonely here. More have Buddhist leanings than are Jewish, but that's fine. Yoga dn vegetarians are everywhere. Churches are everywhere, too. NC is still in the South.

I moved here from California (for the economy, back in the early 90s). The triangle area is not spectacular in beauty---but it is accessible and green. Biking, hiking, riding are good year round for the most part. Easy weekend trips are possible to the blue ridge, appalachians or the coast. Visit and take a hike at Eno State Park in Durham. You'll see what I mean by the "quiet beauty" of the piedmont.

Durham and CH/Carrboro/Hillsborough might be better matches for you than Raleigh, in terms of your interests.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM

214 posts, read 664,356 times
1st of all, I'd like to say that I'm glad to see you are basing your decision on more than just cost of living. How a place fits with your lifestyle is everybit as important as the cost of living.

I can only compare the Triangle, Portland, and Austin.

I liked Austin but wasn't overwhelmed. One thing to keep in mind is that the terrain is flatter than the triangle. My former employer is headquarted out of Raleigh but had a large office in Austin. The Austin employees hated coming to Raleigh because they consistently missed their turns. They were used to being able to see the turn about 2 miles away and that just isn't going to happen in raleigh with the trees and the hills.

Portland - I really liked Portland. I spent a couple of weeks in Portland/Vancouver and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Some of the houses seemed to be a little run down, but over all, a gorgeous area. I don't know a lot about their economy, though. Apart from possible job market/economy issues, my only concern would be the possible rain illusion that Seattle suffers from. It can rain on Monday and be grey on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, rain again on Friday, and you will swear it rained all week long. That can have a bearing on state of mind.

Raleigh - I'm partial to the triangle. It's coloful during spring and fall. It's green during the summer and winter is relatively short. The one thing about the Triangle you have to consider is that it's not one metropolitan area. It's 4 different mini-cities. Many people are underwhelmed when they arrive because Raleigh isn't a large city (neither are Durham, Cary, or Chapel Hill) even though the triangle as a whole may be larger than their home. For some, that's an advantage - others, it's a disadvantage. You'll have to decide. Personally, I think that because you have 4 different areas you are more likely to find what you're looking for.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,658,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
1st of all, I'd like to say that I'm glad to see you are basing your decision on more than just cost of living. How a place fits with your lifestyle is everybit as important as the cost of living.

I can only compare the Triangle, Portland, and Austin.

I liked Austin but wasn't overwhelmed. One thing to keep in mind is that the terrain is flatter than the triangle. My former employer is headquarted out of Raleigh but had a large office in Austin. The Austin employees hated coming to Raleigh because they consistently missed their turns. They were used to being able to see the turn about 2 miles away and that just isn't going to happen in raleigh with the trees and the hills.

Portland - I really liked Portland. I spent a couple of weeks in Portland/Vancouver and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Some of the houses seemed to be a little run down, but over all, a gorgeous area. I don't know a lot about their economy, though. Apart from possible job market/economy issues, my only concern would be the possible rain illusion that Seattle suffers from. It can rain on Monday and be grey on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, rain again on Friday, and you will swear it rained all week long. That can have a bearing on state of mind.

Raleigh - I'm partial to the triangle. It's coloful during spring and fall. It's green during the summer and winter is relatively short. The one thing about the Triangle you have to consider is that it's not one metropolitan area. It's 4 different mini-cities. Many people are underwhelmed when they arrive because Raleigh isn't a large city (neither are Durham, Cary, or Chapel Hill) even though the triangle as a whole may be larger than their home. For some, that's an advantage - others, it's a disadvantage. You'll have to decide. Personally, I think that because you have 4 different areas you are more likely to find what you're looking for.
Austin is relatively flat unless your in West Austin, the hills section. I agree, moving is definitely more about cost of living. That is a factor and helps, but most important is if you really want to be somewhere else, experience something new, and adapt to the area.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 57,547 times
Chapel Hill, or better yet, Carrboro. No offense to anyone, but for a lack of better term, Carrboro is a bit, what I call, granola. Chapel Hill is a celloge town, and Carrboro is right next to it. Carrboro is a bit more artsy and, haha, more granola. Weather is good here, and yes, there is a drough, but what southern state isn't in one? About 40 min to RTP. Durham is the next town over too.. you can find fromes in the $150-200K range. This area of NC is all I know of it so far, but it's nice.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM

18 posts, read 57,547 times
oh, and here's a website Welcome to Carrboro.Com - Your hometown website

Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S & M View Post
I'm going to have to get out to Carrborro, one of these days. I like 'granola' (as long as I can have my iPhone with me )

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM

12,628 posts, read 32,114,094 times
Go figure Vicki! At least you know you're in the area that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary