Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 PM

206 posts, read 310,733 times

Advertisements

I found some of my parents papers with the address we used to live at on Reedy Creek Rd from 1970-1971. None us have been back to that area since but I go to feeling a little nostalgic and drove out that way. I couldn't find the house we lived in. I remember there were only 2 houses in our section about 1/4 mile apart and less than that was a creek running through the woods we played in. And a little further down they were building a new highway. My parents say they dont remember any of it. But I was 13 and remember it all.

When I drove down Reedy Creek Rd now there is no woods, creek, or anything else. It's like the area never existed. Lots of houses and so forth but nothing even looks familiar. I googled the address we used to live at and the address itself doesnt even exist anymore. The satellite picture shows the middle of the street where our house used to be. Sad.

Does anyone from that area know what happened? Did they tear down the houses that were there in the early 70's and pave over the creek and mini farm land that was there so they can build all new?

I can give the exact address if any of you are really knowledgeable about that Road. If not does anyone know how I could research city files to find out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
Is it possible it was Old Reedy Road? There is also a Reedy Creek Road in Raleigh but it's near Cary that runs across Edwards Mill past Schenk Forest and a bunch of farm land owned by NCSU.

Last edited by lamishra; 03-23-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info, I didnt realize there could be an old Reedy Creek Rd. I will have to check a map. I was begining to think I imagined living there until I found papers with our old address lol

Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,125,058 times
It is confusing! But if none of it looks familiar at all, it might not be the right road.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM

51 posts, read 101,852 times
Default Reply

Just a thought. Have you tried looking at an old Sanborn map? You can find them online. This might help.I know UNC had a collection of them that are available online.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,944,452 times
I remember a few small farmhouses out there many years ago...just can't think exactly where they sat in perspective to today's landmarks. I accidentally slipped off the road in a snowstorm while making a flower delivery and walked up to one of those houses to use the phone(1975) The lady was nice enough to have her teenage son go out with the tractor and pull me out. I couldn't for anything get her to take any money for all the trouble. I had one of the other guys deliver her a nice fruit basket the next weekSorry...I wish I could have remembered the address for you

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Back then it was nothing to see a 12 year old driving a tractor on the road like a car and it was legal. There were lots of tractors on the road. I remember working on a tobacco farm one summer in Rolesville and we took tractors every place.

I just looked at the Sanborn site, they have a map of Raleigh up to 1950, but nothing listed for the 70's and none for Cary. The search will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary