Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 AM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times

Advertisements

I got an email from Progress Energy about their energy-efficent lighting initiative. The program offers discounts up to 65% for purchase of Energy Star CFL's/LED's and fixtures. I'm doing some remodeling so that appears to be a very nice motivation for going 'green'. Unfortunately, in my case the program is jive.

Progress has a link to an online retailer they've partnered with for LED recessed downlights. I was happy to see they offered a product from a local business, Cree. I entered my Zip Code to trigger the discount and found that there was no discount, despite the indication on Progress's website that this was an eligible product and the retailer's website that this was a discounted price courtesy of Progress. Same price as normal, and in fact the highest price I found on the product after a quick Google search for the item.

I called Progress's 'expert' line (which, by the way has the wrong hours of operation posted on the web) and asked for details. Predictably, the call center person (who I'm sure is a swell individual) was clueless.

YMMV, but be alert, the program seems to be just one more empty claim from a utility looking for some good public relations.

Weasels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Duke Energy was kind enough to send me two boxes of CFLs for free.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Excellent! Free is a very good price.
(Just don't let the glass break, mercury is a pain to cleanup properly)

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

735 posts, read 1,585,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Great! I have about 10 more boxes you can have for free too. UV, eye strain, burn out constantly, forever to come up, color constantly off, forget it. Garbage. Duke can have them.

I changed to all CFL 7~ years ago. They did not last more than a few years and were not much more than LED's are today. I decided to slowly introduce LED's to see if I get the same effect. Thankfully I hoarded the stores prior to the 100w ban so, I have a few years to spare while LED's get their kinks worked out.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
Great! I have about 10 more boxes you can have for free too. UV, eye strain, burn out constantly, forever to come up, color constantly off, forget it. Garbage. Duke can have them.

I changed to all CFL 7~ years ago. They did not last more than a few years and were not much more than LED's are today. I decided to slowly introduce LED's to see if I get the same effect. Thankfully I hoarded the stores prior to the 100w ban so, I have a few years to spare while LED's get their kinks worked out.
Yeah, I'm holding out for LED's for all the reasons you listed. That's what was disappointing about the Progress scam. The retailer was offering first rate products, Phillips and CREE lamps, just none of the stated discounts. I'll be waiting as well. Do you like the LED's you do have?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I got some CFL's a while back at Home Depot with a special Progress promotion label. They were 40 and 60 watt incandescent equivalents and were about $1.25 for a pack of 5. They are serving me well.

Promotion ended at Home Depot and I see the bulbs for $1 each in individual packs at Dollar tree.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of CFLs - mostly due to color, but the ones Duke provided are decent in the right applications. They are warm temperature (not daylight), and we use them only for general area illumination (e.g., recessed light fixtures), not any lights that would be used for reading or kitchen preparation. Some have been in use for over a year now, and thus far none have burned out.

I'd like to replace several lights with LEDs eventually, but right now the cost is prohibitive in terms of payback based on expected usage.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
I replaced all my recessed lights throughout with LED and love them. They ran about $30 a piece, but will last for many, many years and the lighting looks great. They have "warm" and "cool" lighting so you may prefer one over the other. We liked the "warm" better and will likely change more of our bulbs over the next year or two.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I replaced all my recessed lights throughout with LED and love them. They ran about $30 a piece, but will last for many, many years and the lighting looks great. They have "warm" and "cool" lighting so you may prefer one over the other. We liked the "warm" better and will likely change more of our bulbs over the next year or two.
Good information, thanks. The pricing seems reasonable as well. The Progress offer lists a recessed LED at around $60, so even if they were offering a 50% discount it still makes their program nothing special.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
Cree today announced a 40 watt equivalent LED bulb (normal A series type) for $10 - on sale at the big box orange stores.

Cree News: Cree Introduces The Biggest Thing Since the Light Bulb.

Claims to pay for itself in a year - *if* it's on 6 hours a day at prevailing electric rates. Includes a 10 year limited warranty.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary