Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 PM

300 posts, read 973,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRAIN View Post
My problems were constant throughout the entire day. From the time I woke up through the time I went to sleep. Today it appears to be much better, fortunately.
Glad to hear it improved. My wife said it seems to be better now as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM

300 posts, read 973,730 times
Got home and the internet was unusable (around 1Mbit down per speedtest). I checked the firmware version of our cable modem (Motorola SB6141) and it was still at the 2011 version. I power cycled the modem and it forced a software download (3 flashing lights on the modem). 5 minutes later it rebooted. Internet is now blazing fast again (40Mbit down, 5 up). Firmware is now on the 2013 version.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 850 times
Default TWC Internet speed very disappointing

For many weeks we've experienced exceedingly slow Internet download and upload speeds, <9 download, <3 upload, notwithstanding TWC's promised 50% FREE upgrade speed. What total ^#*&)!!

An aside: it still may be better than DSL, so we're sticking with it for awhile but dropping the landline and TV in favor of 100% cell phone and Direct TV.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:10 PM

353 posts, read 459,134 times
It was fine for me for a little while, but right now here are my results:

Unacceptably slow.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM

821 posts, read 1,464,727 times
Same here...lots of drops. Usually have to reset connection, but sometimes that doesn't even help.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,930 times
we are good here but this is our first day on time warner so maybe they are funneling us the bandwidth to make us feel good about it
This is from my laptop while hubby plays Destiny on the PS4 so sharing connection

Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 AM

97 posts, read 126,128 times
I'd look at the physical coaxial connections. Make sure the connections are tight, no rust on the conductor (the thin wire that is exposed) or connector body, and that the cables are not damaged.

Since TW's tech support over the phone (for all three levels) is useless at best, DSLReports has a Time Warner direct support section: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

You'd have to sign up for a free account with DSLReports, though.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,183,772 times
My cable has been spotty for LITERALLY like the past two years. In fact, when I first turn my computer on, it takes 10-15 minutes to "warm up", and doesn't connect right away. TWC gave me a new modem, but that didn't change anything.

I moved to a new location last weekend, and the problems are persisting. This makes me think maybe it's the internet speed I have - I have the second-lowest level available.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:01 PM

660 posts, read 1,007,783 times
I have internet through TWC here in Western New York and have found it annoying. I pay for Turbo and they rented me a router that couldn't support the faster service. So, after figuring that out, I bought a nice new one, and Speedtest.net shows we're *OFTEN* (not always) getting download speeds of 20+ Mbps, which is what we pay for, yet we still have issues watching videos (on YouTube no less) or gaming, and have to re-boot the router to restore faster service. *SIGH* My boyfriend works in IT and so he's checked things I'd have never known to check (what devices are connected to our wireless system, etc), so who knows! I/we have read that TWC uses bandwidth throttling, but am not sure -- and they shouldn't be since we pay them a LOT.

I was hoping there were better options in NC; moving to Chapel Hill/Carrboro in early 2015!

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 PM

97 posts, read 126,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I have internet through TWC here in Western New York and have found it annoying. I pay for Turbo and they rented me a router that couldn't support the faster service. So, after figuring that out, I bought a nice new one, and Speedtest.net shows we're *OFTEN* (not always) getting download speeds of 20+ Mbps, which is what we pay for, yet we still have issues watching videos (on YouTube no less) or gaming, and have to re-boot the router to restore faster service. *SIGH* My boyfriend works in IT and so he's checked things I'd have never known to check (what devices are connected to our wireless system, etc), so who knows! I/we have read that TWC uses bandwidth throttling, but am not sure -- and they shouldn't be since we pay them a LOT.

I was hoping there were better options in NC; moving to Chapel Hill/Carrboro in early 2015!
In the Triangle area, you'll be stuck with ATT U-Verse or TWC (some areas are served by one or both ISPs).

There are a couple areas with CenturyLink such as Pittsboro and some residences in the Wakefield area (Wake Forest).

Durham has Frontier since FiOS left the area and sold their infrastructure to Frontier years ago.

Wake Forest was supposed to undergo beta testing for wired and wireless Gigabit but it is on hold (RST is focused somewhere else).

Believe it or not, Comcast serves an area in NC that is in close proximity to Danville, VA.

NC has a municipal network ban (spearheaded by ATT & TWC) that was enacted after the city of Wilson rolled out their own fiber (Greenlight).

Just remember, cable network bandwidth is shared amongst all subscribers. So a lot of upstream traffic can contribute to congestion. I think TW, at times, has poor routing management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary