Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM

20 posts, read 59,428 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if anyone can recommend an optometrist or ophthalmologist in the DURHAM area or as far east as Brier Creek. I have only tried Dr Terry Kim at Duke Eye Center and that was 2 years ago. I was very disappointed that his Fellow did the entire exam and neither of them took my concerns seriously regarding the dilating of and decreased vision in one of my eyes. After spending the past 2 years being upset that I paid more than $200 for that visit which was not beneficial to me in the slightest, I am now ready to seek out another practitioner if someone can recommend an eye doctor they trust. Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude/snarky comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 PM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
What SERVICES are you looking for EXACTLY? I mean, are you needing an eye exam for a glasses or contact Rx? Do you have an eye disease? Are you unsure what you need?

Really, an ophthalmologist and an optometrist are two totally different specialties. You need to define what you are looking for and what you need.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 AM

20 posts, read 59,428 times
Yes I would think they would be quite different as well. Sadly the ophthalmologist did less of an exam than some optometrists I have visited in the past, so an optometrist that has in-office diagnostic capabilities for visual fields disturbances would be sufficient.

Thought I was clear enough - random eye dilation and decreased vision in one eye.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmistyt View Post
Yes I would think they would be quite different as well. Sadly the ophthalmologist did less of an exam than some optometrists I have visited in the past, so an optometrist that has in-office diagnostic capabilities for visual fields disturbances would be sufficient.

Thought I was clear enough - random eye dilation and decreased vision in one eye.
Not to be arguementative, but you REALLY need to see an opthalmologist. Not an optomitrist (who rarely if ever have the equipment required to properly test visual fields).

Personally, I'd suggest anybody at Duke. As someone who lost 25% of my visual field, I'd also suggest you see someone QUICKLY.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM

826 posts, read 1,934,482 times
I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. Were you having the dilated pupil and decreased vision at the time of the exam? If you did not, it's hard to say what might have caused it. If your vision was normal at the time, a likely explanation is that you may have been exposed to something that dilated 1 eye and took away your ability to focus (resulting in blurred vision). Once it wears off, your pupil and vision go back to normal.

There are other possible causes but it's hard to do testing if the dilation is not present. It does not sound like a visual field problem and your testing probably wouldn't show anything.

If you are not anti-Duke, I would highly recommend Dr. Anna Bordelon, Dr. Tina Singh, Dr. Preeya Gupta or Dr. Derek DelMonte. They are all excellent - smart and caring. I would go see them at the satellite clinics outside of Duke (i.e. Page Rd, Southpoint, Cary) - there is less likelihood of seeing a fellow out there. Otherwise, I notice that you work at Durham Regional. Go ask the OR techs and scrub nurses which ophthalmologist they would recommend.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,183,984 times
Dr. Dwight Perry is FANTASTIC! And he's a stone's throw away from Durham Regional. He was one of the first in the Triangle area to become certified to perform Lasik surgery. Check him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary