Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
I feel like I'm in Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average---
Taste really is subjective. Scientifically speaking.

You came here looking for pizza that tastes like what you believe to be good pizza that you've eaten in NYC.

You could ask a sampling of people IN NYC and likely get different responses regarding what constitutes the best slice of pizza.

But, you know that already.

Me? I have no clue. I don't consider pizza to be a gourmet delicacy.

Some of it tastes like crap to me. Some of it tastes good.

I prefer NY style to Chicago style (and I lived in the Chicago suburbs once upon a time).

Others may disagree with me.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Maybe you should say what pizza places you like in NY so people from there can help you compare. You mentioned Port Jeff, are from LI?

I like Randy's - got a couple slices from there the other day. They were actually almost TOO big.

Pizza by the slice is not a big thing down here. You won't walk into a pizzeria and see an assortment of pies sitting on the counter waiting for their slices to be chosen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
twingles, that depends on the place. I know several places that sell by the slice and do have the pies sitting up on the counter. My kids really like Alfredo's at University Mall in Chapel Hill (Alfredo is from Italy, btw) and they have the slices up front.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I like Sergio's up in Wakefield. They have Five locations per their website: Sergio's Pizza

Manhattan
Brooklyn
Long Island
and 2 in Raleigh

Since they make Pizza in Raleigh & New York if you don't like it you can blame both NY and NC for the bad pizza.

They have individual pies out on the counter behind glass and you can order by the slice. Just like most pizzeria up North. I'm not always the biggest fan of this approach since the pizza is sitting around for a while, but I like to order by the slice and while I don't think Sergio's is off the charts I does hit the spot for me when I have a hankering for a single slice.

Sergio's

Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
twingles, that depends on the place. I know several places that sell by the slice and do have the pies sitting up on the counter. My kids really like Alfredo's at University Mall in Chapel Hill (Alfredo is from Italy, btw) and they have the slices up front.
If you hit up Hillsborough Street you'll find approximately 20 million pizza by the slice places Was sad to find out my college favorite closed shop though.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
"Where in the triangle can you get a slice of pizza that most resembles what you are used to getting in NY?" (that is really your question without the associated condescension).

no--actually my question was where can I get a good slice of pizza--maybe only those
who aren't squeamish about NYC should answer it?

I've been to NYC, and prefer NYC pizza to that "other stuff". As a reference, I thought that John's on Bleeker was great, some of the vendors were also awesome. Ray's didn't do anything for me. D'Farro in Brooklyn was quite the experience, and damn good (if you search enough, you'll see a detailed photo-post I wrote on that experience), but the pizza alone was not worth the hassle and the $5 pricetag per slice (however the Hassle itself was awesome, and therefore way worth it). (Edit: The little pizza window next to the Paramount Hotel on 38th was really good, but I don't know if that was a result of the pizza, or the long night of drinking that preceeded it, so I almost left that off my list...)

For your question, I suggest that you try Randy's on Miami Blvd. (RTP). Not the other locations, and don't get a pie, get two slices and a drink. Go at lunch, not at dinner. It' gets crowded, but the lines move fast. You need to go with a friend, so one person can pounce on a table when it opens up.

Unfortunately, their sausage is not up to par, so if you are a sausage lover (not that there's anything wrong with that), then I'd suggest that you'll be disappointed. (I usually get two slices, one pepperoni, the other either cheese, or black olives, which is a personal and subject preference.)

My information above is sincere, and I believe it's the best slice in the area. My 73 year old dad, who grew up on Lon Giland agrees too. I do have to wonder where you are originally from. I'm guessing Montreal (or somewhere in French Canada). All the people I've met from any of the NYC Bureaus have been pretty cool....

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Would it be possible for us to acknowledge that tastes differ - among people and even regionally - so that when something is not to our personal liking we don't have to label it as somehow inferior? Is it not enough to ask where to find pizza that tastes like what you're familiar with in New York, rather than labeling pizza that is not to your liking as not "real" or not even "average"?

Eh, cut the guy some slack. I was up near Times Square, and they had a place that advertised that they sold "BBQ". Being raised right, I just bit my lip and walked to the nearest Irish Pub, but I have to admit laughing under my breath as I tried to hold my smirk.

BBQ in NYC. LMAO

Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM

71 posts, read 180,560 times
Im from NC but my faves are Randys and Cozzolinos in Cary.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Eh, cut the guy some slack. I was up near Times Square, and they had a place that advertised that they sold "BBQ". Being raised right, I just bit my lip and walked to the nearest Irish Pub, but I have to admit laughing under my breath as I tried to hold my smirk.

BBQ in NYC. LMAO
haha believe it or not some of the best Eastern BBQ I ever had was in Middlebury, VT, of all places. Turned out the owner of the restaurant was originally from NC

Old 05-01-2014, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,872 times
Default Best NY style pizza

Bella Italia in Wake Forest off South Main Street. Tucked into a sideways strip mall so you can't see it from the street. Owner is from Naples. Pizza sold by slices. It is awesome!!

Best pizza in New York - Johnny's Pizza in Mt Vernon. Nothing quite like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary