Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM

1,703 posts, read 2,597,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
... I was out at my oak trees 20 minutes a day removing them. ...
There is an insect called Gall Wasp but it is not a Yellowjacket.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall_wasp

Yellowjackets hatch in brood cells in a paper nest. No galls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow...cle_and_habits

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 03:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,377,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"The stomping seems like it might wake them up.".....they can wake up and get nasty all they want...but the hole is now plugged by the golf ball. The golf ball is now at or below ground level, causing no impediment to the lawn mower, so with the hole now plugged, it's business as usual.

PD...I understand you like your method, no doubt it has worked well for you....just as other methods have worked. It's not rocket science, the object is to kill them, either quickly with chemicals or slowly via starvation. Is it OK if two or more methods are discussed, or must we all adopt the bowl method henceforth ? We can all "what if" the bowl method....such as... what if a well meaning child sees the bowl and decides it doesn't belong there and....or what if a dog decides to investigate by turning the bowl over with it's nose....what if a neighbor...what if you hit it with the lawn mower...
Bottom line is.... whichever method is used....be careful when eradicating yellow jackets, they are easily agitated.

Regards
Gemstone1
It's not uncommon for yellow jacket nests to have more than one entrance. A bowl surreptitiously placed over a hole causes them no alarm. A stomp may cause alarm and if they can't get out the plugged up hole they may come out the backdoor and attack. Having been stung recently I just want to do whatever I can to avoid raising the alarm. Those suckers are vicious!!

Y'all can use whatever methods you like. I'm just explaining why I choose the bowl. It's sneaky and it doesn't disturb them; no chemicals; and it's effective. Other folks may want to do the old school method of pouring gasoline down the hole and lighting it on fire, but I'm not into that one either.

As far as
Quote:
what if a well meaning child sees the bowl and decides it doesn't belong there and....or what if a dog decides to investigate by turning the bowl over with it's nose.
Same could be said of a golf ball, too.

The glass bowl method is widely recommended — it's not something I made up.

Yellow Jackets | Landscaping Ideas and Hardscape Design | HGTV
Getting rid of yellow jackets in your garden | WTOP

Yellow Jackets vs. Cake Cover: A Success Story
Quote:
The light that comes through the cover convinces the wasps that there's hope, so they don't try to dig an alternate entry hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary