Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,269 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear any feedback from families who have relocated to Wake Forest. I am strongly considering this move. Is there anyone who can offer feedback on living in a community? I realize they all have differant rules however I have never lived in one at all. Any feedback on Sutherland or Ethans Glenn in particular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
When you say a "community," do you mean subdivision?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,780 times
I am also interested in this as I will be relocating in 2013 from the United Kingdom with my 3 daughters

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitespixie View Post
I am also interested in this as I will be relocating in 2013 from the United Kingdom with my 3 daughters
What are your specific questions?

If you mean "subdivision" when you mean "community," then I assume you mean "HOA" which means "Home Owners Association" which means there are rules and monthly fees.

Before purchasing a home in a subdivision with an HOA, you need to ask to see the by-laws. Some are strict, some aren't, and some are insane. Just Google "HOA nightmare" to read stories about HOAs all over the United States. Most people have no trouble with them -- you just need to know what you're getting yourself into.

Older areas (perhaps pre-1978) generally do not have HOAs.

If you mean what is it like living in Wake Forest -- it's a cute town that has boomed and has lost some of its charm, IMHO. It is now a collection of subdivisions with older homes near the center of town. But it's still very nice.

Driving on Capital Boulevard during rush hour is sometimes quite lengthy as far as time and frustrating but compared to the rest of the world, apparently it is not so bad.

The police department does not release crime figures to SpotCrime.com, so it's not easy to see what crime is like. I don't know if that information is available anywhere.

I live 10 miles away and have worked in Youngsville, which is north of Wake Forest. We go to Wake Forest quite often.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Ethans Glen is one of my all time favorite n'hoods! I'm not a huge fan of Sutherland but that is because it seems more country to me. Both n'hoods do have covenants (rules). And of course, you also have Wake County rules (laws)!

Wake Forest has really grown in the last 8 years. But, it still has a community vibe. There is lots going on...4th of July parades and they have their own fireworks. Lots of family stuff to do. Etc.

The biggest issue that I have with Wake Forest is that EVERYONE goes to work at the same time and goes home at the same time so if you need to travel down Capital Blvd., the traffic is heavy. Instead of driving 55 MPH, you'll usually go about 40 MPH. If you can avoid Capital Blvd., you'll be fine!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-20-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ethans Glen is one of my all time favorite n'hoods! I'm not a huge fan of Sutherland but that is because it seems more country to me. Both n'hoods do have covenants (rules). And of course, you also have Wake County rules (laws)!

Wake Forest has really grown in the last 8 years. But, it still has a community vibe. There is lots going on...4th of July parades and they have their own fireworks. Lots of family stuff to do. Etc.

The biggest issue that I have with Wake Forest is that EVERYONE goes to work at the same time and goes home at the same time so if you need to travel down Capital Blvd., the traffic is heavy. Instead of driving 55 MPH, you'll usually go about 40 MPH. If you can avoid Capital Blvd., you'll be fine!
Vicki, as you know I live on Capital in Raleigh.

The speeds I see from Raleigh to WF in many rush hour evenings are more like 15 mph.

Do you have a helicopter (LOL)?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Vicki, as you know I live on Capital in Raleigh.

The speeds I see from Raleigh to WF in many rush hour evenings are more like 15 mph.

Do you have a helicopter (LOL)?
The funny thing is that I was just there YESTERDAY! I was going into Wake Forest at 5 PM and I actually looked at my spedometer! Of course, I did stop for the stoplights!!!

But once the light turned green, my speed did get up to 45 mph... until the next stoplight!!!

I go in and out of Wake Forest quite often. I would say that during rush hour, it takes me about 20 minutes but if not rush hour, I can make it in 10 minutes! And that is without speeding!!!

Vicki

Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The funny thing is that I was just there YESTERDAY! I was going into Wake Forest at 5 PM and I actually looked at my spedometer! Of course, I did stop for the stoplights!!!

But once the light turned green, my speed did get up to 45 mph... until the next stoplight!!!

I go in and out of Wake Forest quite often. I would say that during rush hour, it takes me about 20 minutes but if not rush hour, I can make it in 10 minutes! And that is without speeding!!!

Vicki
I find volumes vary greatly by day. Some good trips, some awful.

Same on Old Wake Forest Road.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 13,780 times
My inquiry is more about what it is like to live there, I am getting married to a resident of WF so my accomodation is sorted.
I would like to know if the area is racially diverse as my children and I are biracial,does the area cater for African-American hair. What activities are on offer for girls? my daughters will be 17,13,12 when we relocate.
The school I am looking at is St.Mary's does anyone know of anyone attending this school and do they enjoy it? I am very excited as it looks a beautiful place but very apprehensive due to the huge change in culture going from the UK to the USA.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
St Mary's is a beautiful school. It's quite far from Wake Forest, though.

I've had friends who attended there many years ago and they all loved it. The campus is quite pretty.

Most of the Triangle area is diverse enough that you'll not have problems finding hairdressers and the like. No worries there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary