Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 PM

89 posts, read 961,338 times

Advertisements

OK... I've never had central air before OR a house of my own, so please forgive me for a stupid question. I've been in my new house for 3 months now. I live alone because the hubby has been in Iraq for 13 months... The first full month I was here my electric bill was about $90, next month it was around $140, and this month it was almost $200. I am shocked. I live alone and don't do a whole lot except watching tv and listening to the radio. The house is 1900 sq. feet and has 2 central air units--one upstairs, and one downstairs. I have no idea what I should be keeping these on, and if both should be set at the same temp. Up until now they were both set at 78 and the fan was set to auto, and I never really adjusted the temp because it kept me comfortable. I was so freaked out by this bill that I shut them both off tonight, but I know it's not feasible to keep them off because I will sweat to death. Any advice? Should I keep one temp higher than the other... is there a science behind this? I don't spend much time upstairs, and for the first month I was here I didn't even turn the upstairs air on, but a friend from Florida said since my house was so open with cathedral ceilings that I'd be better off using both. Is this a normal bill considering how hot it has been? I can't really shut the air off when I go out since I have 2 dogs that would get too hot. Sorry for rambling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,406 times
We have a 1700 square foot home and our last bill was about 260. Our hot water is gas so this is not in the bill. I don't think it sounds to high. We keep our ac set at 72.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslikeska View Post
OK... I've never had central air before OR a house of my own, so please forgive me for a stupid question. I've been in my new house for 3 months now. I live alone because the hubby has been in Iraq for 13 months... The first full month I was here my electric bill was about $90, next month it was around $140, and this month it was almost $200. I am shocked. I live alone and don't do a whole lot except watching tv and listening to the radio. The house is 1900 sq. feet and has 2 central air units--one upstairs, and one downstairs. I have no idea what I should be keeping these on, and if both should be set at the same temp. Up until now they were both set at 78 and the fan was set to auto, and I never really adjusted the temp because it kept me comfortable. I was so freaked out by this bill that I shut them both off tonight, but I know it's not feasible to keep them off because I will sweat to death. Any advice? Should I keep one temp higher than the other... is there a science behind this? I don't spend much time upstairs, and for the first month I was here I didn't even turn the upstairs air on, but a friend from Florida said since my house was so open with cathedral ceilings that I'd be better off using both. Is this a normal bill considering how hot it has been? I can't really shut the air off when I go out since I have 2 dogs that would get too hot. Sorry for rambling...
If you have an open cathedral ceiling, it is likely that your upstairs unit will do most of the cooling, since convection will take the warmer air up to the second level return grille.
Set your upstairs unit at the temperature you want and the downstairs unit a degree warmer. If the return grille is in an open area, close the bedroom doors in rooms you are not using and make that unit take the air off the top of the high ceiling.
If that open ceiling has a ceiling fan, run it all the time to mix the air.

Have you changed your filters for both units?
With the amount of run time this summer, and having dogs in the house, they well may be filled with dust and hair. That makes the unit work a little harder to cool you. "Work a little harder" is code for "Higher bill."
If you don't know how to change filters... I would be glad to show you what they are and how to do it.

And really, for a 1900 SF home with open ceiling, your bill doesn't sound all that high. Sad to say.
But maybe your units could run more efficiently and save a couple of bucks for you.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
We have a 1700 square foot home and our last bill was about 260. Our hot water is gas so this is not in the bill. I don't think it sounds to high. We keep our ac set at 72.
Thank you for responding. I can now relate with my dad who always went around turning off all of the lights in the house regardless of whether or not you were sitting in the room reading, doing homework, playing a game, etc... haha. In fact, I'm sitting here in the dark as we speak.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you have an open cathedral ceiling, it is likely that your upstairs unit will do most of the cooling, since convection will take the warmer air up to the second level return grille.
Set your upstairs unit at the temperature you want and the downstairs unit a degree warmer. If the return grille is in an open area, close the bedroom doors in rooms you are not using and make that unit take the air off the top of the high ceiling.
If that open ceiling has a ceiling fan, run it all the time to mix the air.

Have you changed your filters for both units?
With the amount of run time this summer, and having dogs in the house, they well may be filled with dust and hair. That makes the unit work a little harder to cool you. "Work a little harder" is code for "Higher bill."
If you don't know how to change filters... I would be glad to show you what they are and how to do it.

And really, for a 1900 SF home with open ceiling, your bill doesn't sound all that high. Sad to say.
But maybe your units could run more efficiently and save a couple of bucks for you.

Thanks for the advice. I changed the filters when I first got here, but not since, and my pup has a tendency to lay right on top of the vents, so they may very well be ready for another change. I already keep all room doors closed since I have a very open floor plan. The previous owners said something about having the air conditioners services at the beginning of each summer. Is this something everyone does? Would I know if they needed to be serviced, and is it pointless in September to even worry about it?

Last edited by jesslikeska; 09-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: I obviously don't even know what month it is, haha

Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,137 times
I have to agree that amount does not sound all that unreasonable for an electric bill to me either. I applaud your husband for what he is doing for our country. It must be very difficult for you. I wish you all the best and good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
It sounds about right. My house is smaller, 1600 sq feet, no cathedral ceilings and a family of four. Ours is around $200.00 for peak months (which last month was DEFINITELY a peak month with the heat wave).
Later in the year it's much lower.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 PM

So you guys are saying that I don't need to hire a Private Investigator to spy on my dogs while I'm out to make sure they're not throwing wild parties?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslikeska View Post
Thanks for the advice. I changed the filters when I first got here, but not since, and my pup has a tendency to lay right on top of the vents, so they may very well be ready for another change. I already keep all room doors closed since I have a very open floor plan. The previous owners said something about having the air conditioners services at the beginning of each summer. Is this something everyone does? Would I know if they needed to be serviced, and is it pointless in September to even worry about it?
If the house is more than about 7 or 8 years old, I would definitely suggest having them looked at.
Do you have gas furnaces or heat pumps?
Again, if the furnaces are more than 7 or 8 years old, I would suggest having an HVAC guy inspect the heat exchangers for rust or corrosion.
If you have perforation in the heat exchangers of a gas furnace, this may let carbon monoxide into the home during heating season.
Not really an issue if it is a heat pump and not gas heat.

And that perforation can cost you precious money, as conditioned air, heated or cooled, is pumped out the furnace flue.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,907 times
Oh, this is the WORST electric bill of the year! After this one, it'll start going down and you can put your heart back in your chest. Actually the winter bills are kinda nice because the weather is usually moderate here. I keep the A/C on 75 and don't touch it. I consider part of my August bill a medical expense, because if I had to broil all month to keep the $$ down, I'd hurt someone.

I'd say keep the doggies happy and leave the a/c...a few more weeks and we'll all be able to open the windows again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary