Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At 20 to 22 stories high with ground-level retail, the 320-unit building will anchor the northeastern corner of the Edison development, situated on a downtown block bordered by Blount, Davis, Wilmington and Martin streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
I am excited about this project but I am only cautiously optimistic about it. There are still a lot of vacant condos downtown so I don't know how much demand there is for more. That being said, I am always happy to see people invest in downtown and there is a need for more retail in that area to make downtown living more attractive.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,165,204 times
Quote:
Sandreuter said he would be willing to offer rent-free space to a grocery. But conversations with Harris Teeter and other grocers suggest the market is not ready.

“All grocers that I know of, who have looked at downtown, say we just don’t have enough people yet,” he said. “We just don’t have the demographics to support it.”
I hate how these grocery chains don't take into consideration at all the people who work downtown. When I worked down there I would have LOVED to have a grocery store within walking distance of my office. I could have picked up lunch in there on days I forgot my lunch at home and I could have gotten my groceries for the week on my way home from work.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am excited about this project but I am only cautiously optimistic about it. There are still a lot of vacant condos downtown so I don't know how much demand there is for more. That being said, I am always happy to see people invest in downtown and there is a need for more retail in that area to make downtown living more attractive.
Apartments /= condos. There is a big demand for modern rental properties downtown that isn't being met, though I think the apartments being built in the Glenwood South area will help a lot with that.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I hate how these grocery chains don't take into consideration at all the people who work downtown. When I worked down there I would have LOVED to have a grocery store within walking distance of my office. I could have picked up lunch in there on days I forgot my lunch at home and I could have gotten my groceries for the week on my way home from work.
I think the big grocery stores do take into consideration the workforce downtown but even then the numbers don't add up. I'm sure some people would be like you and shop after work or go eat lunch there, but these big grocery store chains need a customer base that extends beyond 9-5pm which is all they would get out of the workforce downtown. I want to see a grocery downtown as much as the next guy but I can see why they are reluctant to jump in the market.

I think something like a Whole Foods or Trader Joes which would actually pull in people from the burbs as well as serve the downtown population would be the most successful.

I agree apartments =/ condos but the demand for apartments downtown is highest for "affordable" modern apartments. If these new apartments end up being high end apartments with $2,000+ / month rent (which is pretty likely given the nature of this project) they will likely suffer the same fate of the high end condos in the local downtown market.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Grocery stores don't mind if people work nearby as that adds a few lunchtime customers, but they make their decisions primarily based on "rooftops" not businesses. People shop on their way home or near their home on weekends, not near their work unless those are in the same place. Too much perishable stuff is bought on a regular shopping trip for it to be otherwise.

I'm still happy to see any movement at the Edison though. Each piece allows more to come behind and build on it. I just hope they figure out something with Coopers BBQ.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,271,918 times
If it is a good idea, someone will do it. Since with free rent the majors turned it down, an independent may see opportunity.
Maybe a visionary investor will grab up a Piggly Wiggly franchise?
IDigThePig.com - Piggly Wiggly North Carolina and Virginia

I would stop in just to say I did.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I think something like a Whole Foods or Trader Joes which would actually pull in people from the burbs as well as serve the downtown population would be the most successful.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'd love to see an Earth Fare go in down there so I wouldn't have to schlep up to Brier Creek whenever I wanted to go there.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,426,685 times
There are no places to buy groceries downtown? My fiancee and I were considering renting a loft when we move, but we would want a place to buy groceries within walking distance.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
There are no places to buy groceries downtown? My fiancee and I were considering renting a loft when we move, but we would want a place to buy groceries within walking distance.
There's little bodega type places for things like milk and during the growing season there's a farmers' market on Fayetteville Street every Wednesday but you currently can't do your grocery shopping walking downtown. You'd have to take a bus or drive to the Kroger off of MLK Blvd or the Harris Teeter in Cameron Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary