Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 56,119 times

Advertisements

Our three children, two lower school students and a middle school student have applied to bioth Ravenscroft and Durham Academy. We did a lot of reasearch on private schools in the area and visited several campuses. We were very impressed with both schools. Although we have not yet formally received confirmation of acceptance I feel confident our kids will be accepted at both schools.

I'm hoping to get some first hand information from Ravenscroft and Durham Academy parents and students. What are the positives, or possible negatives from the inside?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
They are over 30 miles apart. Is location a consideration?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
1. Where do you live? That should be a big consideration.

2. There are LOTS of threads comparing area private schools. The "Search forum" function will take you there.

3. Cary Academy is another school you might want to put into the mix--but again, it depends on where you live.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,927 times
Default Same answer as everyone else

How far do you want to drive to school. I'm more familiar with North Raleigh and like the area a little more than the Duke Forest area. So my personal opinion (and we know what they say of opinions! LOL) is for Ravenscroft.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Thank you for the replies.
We currently are in an apartment in Brier Creek. We will probably stay in this general area, so either DA or Ravenscroft will be a manageable commute.

One concern I have is how new students will be welcomed socially. I am hoping my children can fit in and find friends easily. We are a very down to earth people. We make a lot of sacrifices in order to have our children in private schools. I'm hoping to have a student body and parent body that values education and family and doesn't view a bumper sticker from a private school as a status symbol.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM

182 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mae View Post
Thank you for the replies.
We currently are in an apartment in Brier Creek. We will probably stay in this general area, so either DA or Ravenscroft will be a manageable commute.

One concern I have is how new students will be welcomed socially. I am hoping my children can fit in and find friends easily. We are a very down to earth people. We make a lot of sacrifices in order to have our children in private schools. I'm hoping to have a student body and parent body that values education and family and doesn't view a bumper sticker from a private school as a status symbol.
then you probably should follow the advice above on Cary Academy. founded by SAS owner Jim Goodnight. I've lived here for 50 years and known lots of families from Ravenscroft. There's no getting around the fact that most of the families are quite wealthy if not old money. I have known a few families that sacrificed to send their kids there but for most it's not an issue. can't speak for Durham Academy.

now the families I know at Thales I would characterize as probably sacrificing to send their kids to private school, and I think they're more concerned with education than status. nothing about Thales screams status to me. same fo Cary Christian

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Most of my relatives went to DA, however I sent my daughter to Ravenscroft. Both are good schools. I have not seen the recent list of what colleges were attended by recent grads, however if there is tendency for one to send more to the Ivy League schools than the other, I would pick that one.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM

Thank you
I did look at Cary Academy and Thales. Cary Academy does seem like a wonderful school but it is exclusively upper school. No lower school or middle school.
We also looked at Thales. Wow. That is a very different school. Shockingly different. Not at all of interest to us. I think most people considering Ravenscroft, Durham Academy, Cary Academy, or even St. Timothy's, St. David's, The raleigh School or Duke School would not consider Thales. They are just VERY, VERY different. I'm sure the school is appealing to many but not right for our kids who are very creative and outside the box thinkers.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mae View Post
Thank you
I did look at Cary Academy and Thales. Cary Academy does seem like a wonderful school but it is exclusively upper school. No lower school or middle school.
We also looked at Thales. Wow. That is a very different school. Shockingly different. Not at all of interest to us. I think most people considering Ravenscroft, Durham Academy, Cary Academy, or even St. Timothy's, St. David's, The raleigh School or Duke School would not consider Thales. They are just VERY, VERY different. I'm sure the school is appealing to many but not right for our kids who are very creative and outside the box thinkers.
Not true....Cary Academy has a middle school (grades 6-8). My friend is a math teacher there.

Cary Academy: Middle School

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

413 posts, read 877,662 times
Another recommendation to check out Cary Academy. They
offer generous scholarships and a neighbor's child, very
gifted, was able to attend and flourish. The parents experienced
job loss and the school made sure the child could continue to attend. That
is really impressive in my book!

Last edited by ncjoy; 02-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary