Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Cost doesn't affect how much produce I buy - I can only eat so much! I usually get a weekly delivery from Papa Spuds, and supplement with produce from Whole Foods, Fresh Market and Trader Joe's as necessary.

ALDI - Weekly Ads

The places you shop are too expensive for me. When you have a family - maybe you do?- price is a big determining factor of where you buy groceries. When produce is on sale I buy in quantity and freeze. I'm looking forward to shopping at the new Aldi's. Here in Chapel Hill a large part of our budget goes for property taxes but we knew that when we bought here. We all have to make decisions based on personal priorities. I would love to shop Ht exclusively but it is just too expensive so I usually stay at Food Lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM

39 posts, read 194,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock11 View Post
And to chime in again, although they may mark down pineapples and other produce they have an overstock on, all the other items in their "sale" circulars are the everyday low prices that the items always sell for - like yogurt, not from concentrate orange juice, and pantry items such as crackers, baking nuts, etc. So, when you get to the store, you are faced with the exact same prices that are advertised. Which, I've found, in my personal experience are less expensive than even Walmart.

And, for any item that may actually be higher priced at Aldi than another store, I always make that price difference up, and then some, on the rest of my shopping basket. I call it 'losing in the popcorn, making on the peanuts' - LOL
[SIZE=3]We've been getting fresh pineapple for $.99 for MONTHS from Aldi. It's just the "going" price of it right now. It may go up to 1.69 when pineapple is less abundant, but I don't consider that a loss leader. It's always much cheaper than the grocery store.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Now the 1 produce I can talk to you about with expertise is avocados. I've got a 5 year old that has loved them since she was 7 months old. I'm talking 3-5 avocados a week--and she wanted more. In initially bought them at the regularly grocery store where the cost ranged from 1) 1.99 to 2.99 a piece, and 2) the quality was spotty (overripe/bruised avocado is very common in regular grocery stores because they have been sitting there so long). I was bemoaning the spotty quality and the financial burden my little tyke's avocado addiction was costing me, and a friend suggested we try Aldi.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When we first started buying at Aldi 4 years ago, they were $.79 a piece. In the past 4 years, the weekly price of avocado has ranged from $.49 to $1.19 a piece (all dependent on what the season was). Aldi carries firm avocado which allows us to bring them home and let them ripen without bruising. We feed the avocado addiction with gusto because of Aldi. Given that we buy about 7 a week, I figure we have saved around 1000 over the last 4 years in avocados alone.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We buy a lot of other things at Aldi, but the avocados are a no brainer for us.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The other added plus: Hubby will do Aldi runs for me b/c it’s a quick in and out for him. He hates the big grocery stores b/c all the choices make it hard for him to get in and out quickly. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]To each their own, but I’ve done really well with Aldi. [/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

53 posts, read 88,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
OK Aldi goers - FYI

Here is an article from more than an year ago about hacking of card scanners at Aldi (including Raleigh area stores). They may have taken steps to prevent it as we do not hear about it anymore but wanted to caution you

Hacked Card Readers Found At Aldi Stores In 11 States - The Consumerist

Just be careful since you have no remedy once a card is stolen and money is withdrawn from your accounts - since what Aldi takes is only Debit Cards (and cash, checks etc of course) and no Credit Cards. At least, with Credit cards your loss is limited to $50 if you report in certain time or dispute the purchases. But with Debit card? You are out of luck!
I heard about this through Aldi's website, where they published a press release warning customers about this. I've also been made aware about two other incidents of this happening at the bank I am a member of, as well as many gas stations throughout N. Raleigh that I frequent... Where are we safe anymore, really? If they want it, they'll find a way to get it, I suppose...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
OK Aldi goers - FYI

Here is an article from more than an year ago about hacking of card scanners at Aldi (including Raleigh area stores). They may have taken steps to prevent it as we do not hear about it anymore but wanted to caution you

Hacked Card Readers Found At Aldi Stores In 11 States - The Consumerist

Just be careful since you have no remedy once a card is stolen and money is withdrawn from your accounts - since what Aldi takes is only Debit Cards (and cash, checks etc of course) and no Credit Cards. At least, with Credit cards your loss is limited to $50 if you report in certain time or dispute the purchases. But with Debit card? You are out of luck!
Isn't this way off topic?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
Isn't this way off topic?
It's petty, but to be fair the OP's question was answered on the first page, and the rest of the thread is just as off topic.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
It's petty, but to be fair the OP's question was answered on the first page, and the rest of the thread is just as off topic.
I got it. In that case MyNC, Aldi>Kroger FTW!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Aldi does not usually take checks- just debit cards and cash. That is why I was so surprised and pleased they let me shop with a check when we passed by one on the way to the zoo and didn't have debit card credit card but did have a check.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

371 posts, read 1,219,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock11 View Post
I heard about this through Aldi's website, where they published a press release warning customers about this. I've also been made aware about two other incidents of this happening at the bank I am a member of, as well as many gas stations throughout N. Raleigh that I frequent... Where are we safe anymore, really? If they want it, they'll find a way to get it, I suppose...
Yeah, the retailers are supposed to inform their customers by law about any breaches. I do not think EVERY retailer got hit with these hacks - I guess some retailers are more attractive for these thieves to steal the info - may be due to the lax rules or something else?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

379 posts, read 959,621 times
Read in today's N&O that it will OPEN Wed (1/11)

Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM

371 posts, read 1,219,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
I got it. In that case MyNC, Aldi>Kroger FTW!
Well, I don't care if Aldi>Kroger. I do not work at either Kroger/Aldi and have no vested interest to support or not support any. I do not think I am convinced with any of the arguments to shop at Aldi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary