Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM

23 posts, read 59,447 times

Advertisements

My daughter was speeding through a school zone at 4:08 and got a ticket. She should have been 7 minutes later and all this would be gone. We need to go court and either ask for a prayer for judgement or get a lawyer. I have never used an attorney for a ticket and need help if it would be worthwhile and if it is a referral. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,199,307 times
It might be interesting to have an attorney challenge the enforcement since NC vehicle code does not require a vehicle or driver to be equipped with an operating clock or watch.

If no flashing sign to indicate the speed limit's effective hours, this could force the use of such signs.

Also "school days" restrictions need to be challenged to insure that folks not having school children are made aware by a sign indicating when restrictions are in effect.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 PM

317 posts, read 828,161 times
Not to worry you will get plenty of attorney junk mail in very near future. They are all the same. They will advise you on how to handle it. Pick one and they will get charges reduced depending on the details. You will still pay a fine in the end, because it's all about money.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 AM

875 posts, read 1,164,710 times
You're either going to pay an attorney, court costs, or both. Maybe if she faced the consequences she will slow down.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM

804 posts, read 2,008,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Also "school days" restrictions need to be challenged to insure that folks not having school children are made aware by a sign indicating when restrictions are in effect.
these are already posted in zones. believe me, i know, because i have to read them carefully since every zone is different & i'm paranoid because i've gotten a ticket in a school zone before.

to the OP, john fanney from bass bryant & fanney is one that i've used before & one that i have recommended to friends. be prepared to pay court costs which have gone up again. about five or six years ago when i had him handle something, it was around $400 (which included the court costs) but they have gone up since then. you may wish to evaluate if it's worth getting a PJC now or whether she wants to consider speaking with the DA at court that day to have it reduced.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 PM

28 posts, read 94,501 times
Quote:
It might be interesting to have an attorney challenge the enforcement since NC vehicle code does not require a vehicle or driver to be equipped with an operating clock or watch.

If no flashing sign to indicate the speed limit's effective hours, this could force the use of such signs.
Too bad some people think like this. You actually think because she was speeding in a school zone, it would be beneficial for her to argue that she was not forced to have a clock in her vehicle so she didn't know the time? And you're actually suggesting the government should now consider a new regulation to create flashing signs to warn people of when the enforcement is in effect? Wouldn't it be a better world if she owned up to a mistake instead of blaming others? I'd prefer that than to have to pay for a tax increase to insure people know what time it is when they're driving, just for the sake of argument and trying to get out of a ticket.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
these are already posted in zones. believe me, i know, because i have to read them carefully since every zone is different & i'm paranoid because i've gotten a ticket in a school zone before.

to the OP, john fanney from bass bryant & fanney is one that i've used before & one that i have recommended to friends. be prepared to pay court costs which have gone up again. about five or six years ago when i had him handle something, it was around $400 (which included the court costs) but they have gone up since then. you may wish to evaluate if it's worth getting a PJC now or whether she wants to consider speaking with the DA at court that day to have it reduced.
Not all school zones have lights to signal effective dates/hours. With traditional and year-round schedules along with extended holidays, how on Earth is a non school parent to know for sure what days are school days?

These rules should be unenforceable unless any driver can reasonably know that the rule is or is not in effect at the time they pass through.

Otherwise, the signs must be changed to indicate that you must obey the restriction unless you are certain the effective day/time is not the time you are entering the zone.

I have no dog in this race since my license is clean. I follow the old railroad rule that deems a missing or malfunctioning signal as the most restrictive indication the signal can display. You never lose this way.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1199 View Post
Too bad some people think like this. You actually think because she was speeding in a school zone, it would be beneficial for her to argue that she was not forced to have a clock in her vehicle so she didn't know the time? And you're actually suggesting the government should now consider a new regulation to create flashing signs to warn people of when the enforcement is in effect? Wouldn't it be a better world if she owned up to a mistake instead of blaming others? I'd prefer that than to have to pay for a tax increase to insure people know what time it is when they're driving, just for the sake of argument and trying to get out of a ticket.
I many times was not sure because my children finished school years ago. To be safe, I followed the restriction regardless of the a-holes behind me that flashed and beeped.

The rules are basically flawed since a driver cannot be certain if they are in effect at any given time.

Remember - ass|u|me makes an ass out of you and me.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,692,053 times
Speeding in a school zone has a heftier fine this year it went up ten-fold (from $25 fine to $250) plus court costs. It probably has a really big impact on insurance too. You should probably get a lawyer.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,812,623 times
Quote:
I many times was not sure because my children finished school years ago. To be safe, I followed the restriction regardless of the a-holes behind me that flashed and beeped.
Me too! I occasionally travel Holly Springs Road in the afternoons. There are 3 schools in very close proximity to each other. Two of them share the same school zone, so the usual 1-1.5 hour time frame is a lot longer. You'd be surprised how many people think the speed limit is only in effect when the cops are there directing traffic.

I make a lot of people mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary