Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

20 posts, read 158,156 times

Advertisements

Carolina Preserve is a new (?) planned community from developer Del Webb, but I wonder how far along are they and if anyone has actually seen what it is they offer? It is my understanding they have a pretty good track record and deliver what they advertise. It all sounds very good indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,371 times
Isn't Del Webb part of Pulte? We bought a Pulte house last year in one of its nicest neighborhoods and I'm unimpressed, but maybe Del Webb has different management.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I've taken a few clients in to see Pulte/Del Webb at Carolina Preserve. The houses are pretty nice AFTER you add in your options. I had clients buy one of the smaller houses but after adding their options, it came out to be about $250,000. The monthly dues are pretty high but as they keep saying "you are buying a lifestyle". As you are aware, its for the 55+ active adults and they have a huge clubhouse with a pool. The clubhouse has 36 clubs and so there is plenty for everyone to do. A few of the folks actually buy golf carts as most of them are down to one car, being retired.

Last year, there was a one year's wait to build. I haven't been out there in a while so I'm not sure what the wait is now or if there are any re sales out there.

Vicki

Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Vicki,

Thanks for your helpful and appreciated thoughts. This is the deal. We have dear friends who are moving into one of the Del Webb homes ASAP for reasons quite different from our situation. They have been arm-twisting us to "come on down" as they know our desire to jettison our home in the land of perpetual snow and ice for something more temperate. When I was stationed at Bragg, I got to know several parts of the Tar Heel state but no parts really well...but that was a long time ago and things change. BTW,from your experience, do these homes usually have a basement? If we had a basement, and if this is not typically counted in the "living space" then this could be a big asset. Depending on a couple of factors, we are planning an exploritory visit sometime in October. Perhaps you might be in a position to talk with us about this and other nearby areas?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,930 times
My mom and stepdad have been in their Carolina Preserve home since early May. It's a "Dogwood" series (the mid size and price of the 3 home "series"). They were very lucky and stumbled on a cancellation in phase 1 (it was the ONLY lot in the entire phase that was open and it happened to be a pretty good lot, too).
As long as you understand that about a third of the purchase price of a CP home is going toward the lifestyle aspects of the community, it's a great place to be if you fit the "over 55/active" mold. The house itself is not a great deal at all in $/SF.
The house is actually pretty well constructed-better than any of us thought it would be. The only issue they have had is with a couple of boards of hardwood flooring needing to be reglued.
The location is great for them as all of us kids/grandkids are pretty close by (Cary/Apex/Fuquay). they are very happy with their decision.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Continental, There were a few lots that could accomodate a basement. Of course, they came with a hefty "lot premium" plus the cost of the basement. I do believe Del Webb/Pulte gives you the option of finishing off the basement or leaving it as unfinished. You have to realize that our lots with basements are usually on a hill due to the basement not being "cut in" to the ground but rather just built on the side of the hill. Hope that makes sense! In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions.

Vicki

Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
I have inspected several of the Del Webb homes over there and they come out pretty well from a home inspectors standpoint. Of course, every house is its own project so there is room for error. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them though if you want a well built tract home. The clubhouse and pool are amazing!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 AM

Thanks Vicki and guys! Your observations have been helpful. All things being equal, CP probably is a good deal for what it is and offers. We have friends who bought into a Del Webb community in Plymouth (MA) and do not regret the move. I hate to keep coming back to the question of basements, but would I be correct that in saying that most of the newer NC homes in and around Cary-Apex (built post 1980), in the 2K SF size, have them? I know, for many folks this feature is not a deal-breaker, but for me it would be, so do you think my expectations are unrealistic?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Continental, most of our homes in this area DO NOT have basements.

It is very expensive for a builder to dig into the red clay to build a basement. Therefore, most of the basement homes (yes, we do have a few) are built on lots that are very slanted.

For instance...from the front of the house, you would not know there was even a basement. Then if you look on the sides of the house, you'll notice that the lot slopes down in the back. If you look from the backyard, you'll see the basement. Seems strange until you actually see it.

There are a few neighborhoods that had those sloping lots and built homes with basements. For example, Long Lake in North Raleigh had quite a few. That neighborhood was built by Pulte. If I remember correctly, there was a huge lot premium for the basement lot and then Pulte charged $29,000 to leave the basement unfinished. This was about 4 years ago when the neighborhood was started. You can now find re sales in there, as well as other neighborhoods, with basement homes.

Hope this makes sense...its early for me!!!

Vicki

Old 08-18-2007, 07:59 AM

29 posts, read 313,079 times
I have bought into the Emerald collection in their phase 2E. Originally I was told that the house would be ready April-July '08. Recently they told me that it's been moved back to Aug-Dec '08. Seems that the people that develope the land for them are having some delays. This delay doesn't disturb my plans too much since my move is flexible. I have spoken to a few current residents and they seem quite happy. One did have a problem with the wood floor in the kitchen so we went with the ceramic tile, which is much nicer looking but hell on your feet with long cooking chores - don't plan on too much of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary