Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycookiestl View Post
I know in the forums people have said something to the effect that the test scores are similar to other districts based on race, etc. However, I would be very concerned if a large proportion of the students (thinking esp. in middle/high school) had a bad attitude, low respect, low achievement and didn't care, classes were very far behind or poorly managed, even if my kids did well in honors classes, etc. Socially, it just seems risky for any kid if that is the environment they are in every day. Are Durham schools like this from what people have observed?
You really need to look at the StrongDurhamSchools.com website that someone else suggested. You will get first hand accounts.

I live in South Durham and will list some good schools to consider down here:
Creekside Elem, Hope Valley Elem, Forestview Elementary, Pearsontown Elementary (year round). Jordan High School, Durham School of the Arts (6-12 magnet.

Githens Middle School is on par with Brogden Middle School. My oldest is currently at Kestrel Heights Charter School in South Durham (6-12) and we are very impressed with the middle school program.

There are plans to eventually build 2 other elementary schools in South Durham. The need is here, but there is not bond money yet. With that growth I imagine an additional middle school will be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary