Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,139,369 times

Advertisements

It's sad that that even ONE language isn't a required part of middle school across the county. I have had my ups and downs, goods and bads with WCPSS, but this is just one thing I have not reconciled with them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,681,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's sad that that even ONE language isn't a required part of middle school across the county. I have had my ups and downs, goods and bads with WCPSS, but this is just one thing I have not reconciled with them yet.
I can't say I disagree with you. However, I am the sort that would be teaching other languages from a very young age. Doesnt' matter what language exactly...just another one besides English.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 PM

I agree, but not every parent out there is bi lingual. I actually think foriegn language should be a required part of elementary school curriculums and not kept hostage by WCPSS in the magnet programs. It's a basic component of education like math and language arts. .Most studies actually show higher IQ's in children of all races/ethnicities who speak a foreign language. They should be required just like PE and healthful living.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,681,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I agree, but not every parent out there is bi lingual. I actually think foriegn language should be a required part of elementary school curriculums and not kept hostage by WCPSS in the magnet programs. It's a basic component of education like math and language arts. .Most studies actually show higher IQ's in children of all races/ethnicities who speak a foreign language. They should be required just like PE and healthful living.
You'll never convience most parents of this. There are some that don't think Spanish should be taught at all. I heard a rant the other day at work...quite sad.

However....WF-R middle has Spanish..I am sure there are other nonmagnet middle schools in the county that do as well. (I know Heritage doesn't.)

It's my understanding that the principals at each given school have a large say in what electives are offered. (They only have funds for so many...they have to pick and choose.)

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Personally, Idon't care what parents say about it. Some parents don't think sex ed should be taught in school either, but WCPSS has decided that it's part of a balanced education so they teach it anyway. Foreign language should be viewed the same way. Almost every major country on the rest of the earth learns a foriegn language at an early age except the US.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 AM

648 posts, read 2,983,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndshaver View Post
Wow! That commute sounds dreamy...no sarcasm in the least. It beats the socks off my husbands 1 hr. 15 min. commute to San Francisco. The Bay Bridge or BART - doesn't matter...either stinks. He gets in the car and listens to the radio to see which one is FUBAR, then he takes the other (which can, at a moments notice become FUBAR as well.)

Ahhh...40 minutes...he'll love it :-)
Just wait a few years. CH-to-Raleigh will get closer and closer to what he's used to.

I've found (from limited research) that the closer your home is to an established school, the less likely you are to be redistricted. ES I'm thinking about are Douglas, Brooks, Leesville Rd, North Ridge, Jeffrey's Grove in North Raleigh. And if you're not balking at the prices in East Chapel Hill, you can afford to be inside the beltline.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,097,975 times
Our district here in MA starts language in 6th grade. They have 1/2 yr of conversational French and 1/2 yr of Spanish. Then they choose between the two for 7th/8th grades. There are more language choices at the HS level.

My 11th grader is now in FrenchIV and is starting Latin I.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,701,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
True but some Durham schools are experiencing over crowding.
Which is why they are building new schools. Even with the redistricting in Wake the schools are overcrowded, I don't think that's the issue. I think most people's issues are that their kids are going to new schools every year. Almost like your moving every year, and sometimes your kids are going to schools very far away from their home. I want to keep my kids as close to home as possible, at least while they are young.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM

906 posts, read 2,385,102 times
Oh, so many comments I want to respond to.

Coltank--I think further compounding the reassignment due to growth issue is that WCPSS thinks nothing of reassigning kids solely for diversity purposes.

Lamishra--I am in 100% agreement that foreign language should not be reserved for magnets only. This is a very big source of frustration for me with WCPSS as well. We were at a magnet elem for 4 years just so we could get daily Spanish instruction. We are leaving this year because we just cannot do the commute anymore--almost 2 hours a day driving my kids down there and back. We had no bus, not even an express bus, but we did 'illegally' use an express bus stop. Still didn't make the commute much shorter.

Desdemona--principals do have some discretion with what they offer. BUT, non-magnet schools are absolutely prohibited from offering any program that can be seen as 'competing' with a magnet. So according to Ken Branch, the director of magnets, if my base elementary wanted to offer Spanish once a week, that would be ok. But they would not be allowed to offer daily Spanish instruction or leveled instruction because it would compete with the magnets. Never mind that there is only 1 elementary magnet that guarantees daily foreign language instruction in the same language from K-5. Some other schools offer FL, like Wiley and Hunter, but it is not as intense and/or they cannot guarantee that the electives won't fill up and your child may have to take a diff language or none at all.

Lamishra--Its also amazing to me the huge inequities between middle schools (and I'm sure HS as well). We are very fortunate in that our current middle school offers Band, Orchestra, French and Spanish (I'm sure others as well but those were most important to me). But friends of mine 1 street over are assigned to Durant Rd Middle, which doesn't offer Orchestra or ANY foreign language at all. It boggles my mind.

Voice for Equity in Wake Education

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 57,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Just wait a few years. CH-to-Raleigh will get closer and closer to what he's used to.

I've found (from limited research) that the closer your home is to an established school, the less likely you are to be redistricted. ES I'm thinking about are Douglas, Brooks, Leesville Rd, North Ridge, Jeffrey's Grove in North Raleigh. And if you're not balking at the prices in East Chapel Hill, you can afford to be inside the beltline.

BUMMER! So, in a nutshell...what is the current commute from CH to Raleigh? (regular work hours apply)

Also..does anyone know what other electives or courses the regular schools are prohibited to teach, such as foreign lang.?....if any....

This seems weird to me - magnet schools not wanting any "competition". What happened to wanting to offer equal programs to all the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary