Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM

114 posts, read 431,532 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking for birthday celebration ideas for DD who turns 4 in sept. I have around 5-6 kids to invite and going to places like bounceU , marbles , tkjungle , etc doesn't make too much sense money wise with such a small guest list.
We are considering having party at home as a last resort.
I am looking for ideas where we could have a small celebration at an outside venue - is there any place I could take a few kids for some simple fun activities around cary, morrisville area.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
Our son just turned 6 earlier this month. For the last 3 years, we have simply invited a half dozen kids and their parents to our backyard to play in the kiddie pool, slip-n-slide, and sprinkler. We serve hotdogs, watermellon, + cake and ice cream. Easy and cheap and the kids have a ball. Nobody comes inside unless they have to pee. However, my son is now starting to get invited to these big parties at Monkey Joe's, etc. Not looking forward to keeping up with the Joneses.

Last edited by NewUser; 08-24-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,655 times
That is such a great age!

You could do Frankies - not their 'birthday party' deal, but just take a group with their parents and all do some activities together. They have picnic tables outside where you can ask if you can bring cupcakes or a cake in.

The other thought was to do a park -- you don't mention where you are...but most of the parks in Raleigh have picnic tables and playgrounds and free space area (field, etc) -- that way they aren't at your house and can run off some energy -- if you pick one with a nice playground and a field, you can alternate between 'free play' and some planned activities. Filling buckets with water/sponges is a fun activity for that age. walking with a ball in a big spoon without dropping it. Frisbee toss is hilarious at that age. freeze tag is fun. with tiny gifts for all 'winners' - stickers or balloon or some such.

and as a backup for rain or inclement weather, you could do your house...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
I'd go to one of the local parks like Marla Dorrel Park in Cary for a couple of hours! Marla Dorrel Park

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

NewUser- yes, we are in the same boat.She has been attending parties at jumpzone, museums etc in the past year and partly expects hers to be the same and with the guests it has become a norm. The problem for me is I dont have a 10-20 kids on my list and spending $200 or more on just 5 to 6 kids seems too high to me.I may just end up doing that , though!

WeLuvNC- I will check out frankies. Thanks for the suggestion. We are in morrisville and the park is so busy most of the times, I am just not sure about it.Also DD goes to the park with most of the kids who will be invited on playdates so I was hoping we could do something "different".

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Lamishra, thanks for the suggestion..I have not yet checked out any parks in cary....maybe one with some more activities (beyond the playground)for little ones might fit the bill.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
It's tough with that few kids because most places you pay a flat fee for up to 15 kids. It's worthless to spend the money just for that few kids.

You could rent a bounce house for the kids at your house, they would love it, but it would still be at least $200....however you wouldn't have to go anywhere and you have them send an attendant to take care of watching the kids. Serve some cake, open the gifts and you're done.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,012 times
Draw the line with the Jones'...it will make them feel superior and that is what they want anyway. It is a good opportunity to explain that every family has assets and priorities and has to make their own choices based on what they value. We happen to value family time (which, lucky for me, is relatively inexpensive ;-)

I tell my kids they can only invite the number of guests equal to their age: 10 years old, 10 guests. At age 10 they also had the option of a slumber party with HALF the number of guests. Or they can take ONE friend on a big outing (like an amusement park or beach day)

I also know lots of families who alternate a big party one year with a family party the next. If you have more than one kid, you stagger the big parties to spread out the expenses. Child can invite ONE guest to the family party which is at home or restaurant or outing (depending on what you want to spend) of the child's choice. You might be very surprised by what the child will choose!

There are often lots of good deals on Groupon/LivingSocial for kid friendly outings. I just bought 50% off MiniGolf/Snow Cones at some Penguin golf place for 5 people. My DD turns 11 on Aug 31, so she has to make 4 new friends at her new school, then we'll go for an outing sometime in September.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,012 times
Family Fun magazine has a website with TONS of easy birthday party ideas...themes with simple snacks, games, etc. They would work for home or park.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks librarySue for the familly fun magazine tip. I did not know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary