Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 AM

204 posts, read 263,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot View Post
NCSU Hunt Library. Top 10 in the world.

Hmm.. I'd be interested in seeing some stats on that. Not saying it's false but never heard that before.

I know about the Hunt library designer company being top 10 but don't believe it translates to NCSU Hunt Library itself being top 10. But it is nice. ;-)

Hunt Library designer ranked in top 10
http://news.lib.ncsu.edu/2013/02/12/...ked-in-top-10/

Last edited by Andyrv; 05-05-2014 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
We always go to Cameron Village. I loved the old Olivia Raney Library that stood on the southwest corner of Hillsborough and Salisbury. I can still remember the smell of that place. It was sadly demolished years ago.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM

40 posts, read 47,700 times
Hunt ranks high on

Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Southeast is really horrible in my opinion. For instance, we couldn't locate one book on eastern philosophy recently even with librarian assistance. Computers are rarely all always functioning not to mention self checkout machines. I sometimes wonder if it is part of the agenda of closing it down as they planned 2yrs ago when the plan was suddenly halted. Closing was mentioned in the news. No further mention of it any longer. Sad... how do you just close an educational facility like a library. For people in Clayton who are in another county Johnston they don't even have a library. Actually they do but it is pretty pathetic.

Demonstration held to keep Garner library open :: WRAL.com

Smithfield's library is the flagship library in Johnston. With the growth Clayton is experiencing, I'd imagine its library would be getting a renovation soon.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM

679 posts, read 809,801 times
Anyone been to the Holly Springs library? I keep meaning to go check it out but haven't been yet.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Join the friends of the library and use the DH Hill library at NC State.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrv View Post
Southeast is really horrible in my opinion. For instance, we couldn't locate one book on eastern philosophy recently even with librarian assistance. Computers are rarely all always functioning not to mention self checkout machines. I sometimes wonder if it is part of the agenda of closing it down as they planned 2yrs ago when the plan was suddenly halted. Closing was mentioned in the news. No further mention of it any longer. Sad... how do you just close an educational facility like a library. For people in Clayton who are in another county Johnston they don't even have a library. Actually they do but it is pretty pathetic.

Demonstration held to keep Garner library open :: WRAL.com
That article is over 4 years old.

Southeast is in a weird position right now. Construction will be done surrounding the current library that will render it inaccessible for a while. Garner wants the library to move into a new building, which would be nice for the community. Wake County doesn't have the money to pay for the new building, so it would be on Garner to pay for it.

Naturally renovating the current building is cheaper than building a new one!!!

IT for all libraries recently had to contend with migration to Windows 7 which has caused some unexpected glitches. And of course there are the usual hardware quirks. These things happen in all libraries. This is definitely NOT a sign that the library is neglected purposely.

There is NO plan to close any Wake County Public library. The organizational goal is to make sure that every citizen of Wake live no more than a 10-15 minute drive from a library. The next new library will be NorthEast Regional...probably open in the spring.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Perfect timing! Wake County Libraries is conducting a Customer Satisfaction Survey. You can access it online.

If you use the library at all, or if you are not using it because of your dissatisfaction, PLEASE go online and participate in the survey.

The library management is very data-driven right now. Circulation statistics, computer use, program participation, door counts, etc. If you have suggestions for improvement, now is the time to get your human opinion heard!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM

119 posts, read 546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Perfect timing! Wake County Libraries is conducting a Customer Satisfaction Survey. You can access it online.

If you use the library at all, or if you are not using it because of your dissatisfaction, PLEASE go online and participate in the survey.

The library management is very data-driven right now. Circulation statistics, computer use, program participation, door counts, etc. If you have suggestions for improvement, now is the time to get your human opinion heard!
Where is the survey? It didn't show up on the Wake Co library homepage and I very much would love to fill in a desire for a far better kids/children program.

*vent - feel free to ignore* It's frustrating that they have such a limited selection of alternate media for kids. A smaller (size, budget, population base) library system I used fifteen years ago had kids music (cds and cassettes), kids movies (dvd and vhs), even a collection of software. I had expected good things from Wake considering the higher taxes and per resident funding only to discover they don't offer these, and will not do interlibrary loans of those media, nor do they have an arrangement with surrounding counties (Durham) who do carry the kids media like the past three systems I lived in, that allowed you to have a free membership there and utilize their materials. Even if they did something simple like creating a wishlist that people could purchase for donation against like other systems do - then all that would need to be done is barcoding and cataloging.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
There is NO plan to close any Wake County Public library. The organizational goal is to make sure that every citizen of Wake live no more than a 10-15 minute drive from a library. The next new library will be NorthEast Regional...probably open in the spring.

Good. Athens Drive was on the chopping block a few years ago during budget season. Glad it was spared.

And the underlined is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Join the friends of the library and use the DH Hill library at NC State.
I looked into it once. Not worth the cost. If you're not an alum there's at least a three figure fee, and a recurring yearly fee to continue to check out books. I'll pass.

WCPLs are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary