Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 AM

132 posts, read 445,621 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Raleigh and have heard that it is difficult to be a practicing Catholic in the South. Was wondering if any Catholics have experienced this and what are the Catholic churches like in the Raleigh area. Are people very involved in their parishes or are there a lot of holiday practicing Catholics? Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,049,709 times
Although I am not catholic, I would say that a large number of my friends are, and they are practicing catholics. There are a number of catholic schools in the triangle, and many many churches with very large congregations.

I don't think you would feel out of the ordinary here.

Leigh

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

577 posts, read 1,904,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
I am considering moving to Raleigh and have heard that it is difficult to be a practicing Catholic in the South. Was wondering if any Catholics have experienced this and what are the Catholic churches like in the Raleigh area. Are people very involved in their parishes or are there a lot of holiday practicing Catholics? Thanks for the input
Whom ever told you this either does not like you or is talking out the back of their neck. NC has a huge catholic population. Half my best friends are Irish catholic went to grade school together in the 70,s. My best friends mom always had the nunns over her house for dinner on fridays. NC is not some backward baptist early 1800 state, it is actually much more modern then alot of Northern states.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,371,296 times
Being Catholic is not an issue in the Triangle - perhaps due to the large number of people who have moved here from other parts of the country. You won't have a problem finding a parish. You can choose between large (in the area of 14K-15K parishioners) or smaller, depending on where you live and your preference.

There are certainly those who only visit on holidays and holy days. But there are many who attend regularly. Most parishes run 5 masses, and the more popular times (e.g., 9:30 and 11:30) seem to be at or near capacity.

The Catholic churches tend to have an active social ministry program, so if you are interested in participating you will have plenty of opportunities.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM

560 posts, read 2,852,015 times
Being a Catholic here has been no issue for us do far, about 3 months. We belong to a great parish in Wake Forest. I have found that the Catholics here seem more involved than they did on LI, NY where we are from. I think this is because the Catholic Church is a place where you can go and get very familiar feelings. If you ask 100 Catholics in any Parish I would guess that 95-100 of them would be from out of town.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,099,407 times
I started a thread about this a while ago and the response was overwhelmingly as you are getting now. Don't worry....Be Catholic!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM

445 posts, read 1,861,630 times
As a cradle Catholic who has lived in the South all my life, my experience has been if you live in a small rural town with few Catholics in can be a challenge - mainly due to ignorance about Catholicism. However I have lived in Raleigh for 14 years and due to the number of Northerners who have moved here, you won't have a problem. The churches are large though and there isn't one on every corner, but they all are very active and most have schools (K-8). I would recommend going to a few near where you'll be living and choose the one that you think fits your needs best.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,200,582 times
Huh.

You should see the parking lot at St. Raphael's on Sunday.

Y'all come on down. We won't make you become Baptists unless you want to be Baptists.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM

892 posts, read 3,165,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I started a thread about this a while ago and the response was overwhelmingly as you are getting now. Don't worry....Be Catholic!
LOL and there's your best answer!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM

53 posts, read 211,349 times
I'm Catholic too and I haven't had any problems finding a Catholic church in North Raleigh. There's St. Francis of Assissi on Leesville Rd. and there's St. Raphael off of Falls of the Neuse Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary