Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 66,181 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this past weekend I a "possession of alcohol in a state park" ticket at ravens rock. No huge deal but I want to see if anyone had gotten one of these before. No driving was involved so I wouldn't think there would be points on my license, right...

I'm 27 so it wasn't anything underage.

Got to love the $35 fine with $130 court costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Ugh. That stinks. Were you being obvious with it? (Just asking).

Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 PM

No, it was the morning we were leaving and were packing everything up. Had a few bottles out that were about to go in a bag to hike back out. Ranger just popped up out of nowhere.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
I had that happen to me once. Came back to the campsite after hiking and opened a beer while making dinner. I was stupid and had the can sitting on the picnic table. Ranger inspected my cooler, where he found the rest of a 12-pack, gave me a ticket, and told me to have it all dumped out by the time he came back around from checking the other campsites . . . . . so I dumped it all out. . . . . . the one I was drinking went onto the ground to make a nice big puddle, and the other 11 went right into a big pitcher, which I stashed in my tent for later that night.

Nowadays I always open the bottle, pour it into a coffee cup, and then stash the bottle away again out of sight.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I had that happen to me once. Came back to the campsite after hiking and opened a beer while making dinner. I was stupid and had the can sitting on the picnic table. Ranger inspected my cooler, where he found the rest of a 12-pack, gave me a ticket, and told me to have it all dumped out by the time he came back around from checking the other campsites . . . . . so I dumped it all out. . . . . . the one I was drinking went onto the ground to make a nice big puddle, and the other 11 went right into a big pitcher, which I stashed in my tent for later that night.

Nowadays I always open the bottle, pour it into a coffee cup, and then stash the bottle away again out of sight.
Like being back in the dorm all over again, having to mask alcohol consumption....

Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,251 times
I've only been warned in the past. It is a pain when you're camping somewhere. Nothing refreshes more after a 15 mile hike than an cold beer.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. But it shouldn't affect your license, and since it sounds like a simple citation, it shouldn't show up on your record.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM

41 posts, read 83,092 times
It will not affect your DL or insurance points but it will def go on your crminal record and follow you for the rest of your life. Consider:

1) going to court and talking to the DA to see if you quallify for a "deferral" program that would caused it to be dismissed, if they will dismiss the charge if you do community service, or will allow you to get a PJC, which is not technically a conviction. Or hire a lawyer.

2) these are handled differently in each judicial district so somebody elses experience may not be meaningful.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,576 times
I received a similar ticket when attending a concert at the new downtown Raleigh ampitheater. I believe it was a "Consumption of a malt beverage on goverment property" which makes it sound like I was sitting on the stairs of the Capitol building chugging a 40 when in fact I was sitting on my tailgate in a parking deck.

Long story short, plead guilty and now I have a criminal record (misdemeanor) that I have to disclose on all job applications. yay But it's easy enough to explain to someone and has not prevented me from getting a job.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grababun View Post
It will not affect your DL or insurance points but it will def go on your crminal record and follow you for the rest of your life. Consider:

1) going to court and talking to the DA to see if you quallify for a "deferral" program that would caused it to be dismissed, if they will dismiss the charge if you do community service, or will allow you to get a PJC, which is not technically a conviction. Or hire a lawyer.

2) these are handled differently in each judicial district so somebody elses experience may not be meaningful.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Should I just show up on my court date to ask about the "deferral" or PJC? Is this worth getting a lawyer?

Sucks because there were a bunch of us out there but I took the blame so it would only be one ticket and not one for everyone.

Unless I'm mistaken on every job application I have seen it just asks about felony's.

I don't mind paying the fee but don't want some stupid thing on my record.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,576 times
Most job applications I've seen ask if you've ever been convicted or plead guilty to a misdemeanor or felony (excluding minor traffic violations).

As I said...it's easy enough to explain away...it is just a hassle to have to take the time to explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary