Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,339 times

Advertisements

I’m sure there are many parents in the Wake County School system whose children are struggling academically. My child was in Title I reading in second grade. I watched a slightly below grade level reader fall further behind in the program. I opted to get outside tutoring for my child before the reading problem got worse. My child made fast progress with the outside tutoring. In the fourth grade I was approached by the school and asked if I would like my child to participate in the Title I program again and also attend an after school learning program. It was presented to me as “to make sure your child stays on track” with everything achieved with the outside tutoring. I foolishly agreed to allow my child to participate in the program. I should have known better. The after school program is a joke and it is my opinion that many of the children are there for the free after school babysitting. Due to my ignorance of letting my child participate in the program again (after it failed miserably the first time) here we go again, my child is below grade level. My child is now AGAIN in private tutoring to undo the damage done by the “Title I” program. The more children WCPSS can get into these programs, the more Federal Funds they receive. The more they dumb down children, the longer they are in the Title I program. I read something from another frustrated parent and it made so much sense to me. “Like crack to a crack addict, WCPSS is addicted to federal money. IMHO, that is the real goal of the WCPSS & School Board, i.e., make all the school Title One schools, at any expense.” That is so true, even if it means keeping our children below grade level, to keep them in a program for the sake of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,360,467 times
This post offers insight from someone new that expresses concerns we all have had or currently have. The WCPSS is over crowed, no question about that but 'WE' all decided to move here. We all wanted a lower cost of living, nicer weather, and in some cases a better place to raise or families. None of that is free, there is a price to pay for that. The area has lower taxes then a lot of areas in the country and that attracted us. So much so that 'WE' quickly over crowed the school systems. Imagine that.

Well 'WE' are where 'WE' are. The WCPSS is trying to fix that and got a $1B Bond passed to build new schools and fix others. As most of 'US' all know takes time. Schools are running close to 2 years now to acquire the land, build the school and occupy it. Yea we could shave maybe 6 months off that by working 7 days a week but the cost will go up.

In the meantime more people are coming to Wake County. 'WE' know that the people in charge of growth and development know that so why do 'WE' let them build new schools that handles today's children. Why don't we mandate every new school has to handle a 75% to 100% planned growth. It always amazes me that 'THEY' no sooner get a new school done and here comes the trailers oh sorry 'cottages'. WHY? 'WE' as the tax payers and bond approvers 'MUST' ensure the planners have planned for the growth the area has been seeing.

When you hear or see a new school being planned for your children please please please ensure you provide your input at the public meeting to ensure they are planning for the growth we are seeing. Don't allow a school to be completed in 2 years that only has room for the children they see attending today with a modest increase. 'WE' as a society have no problem building Mansions but expect our kids to be educated in double wide trailers. What went wrong?

Sorry about being long winded but I am passionate about this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary