Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 68,956 times

Advertisements

Am looking at relocating to this area as it has some nice houses and amenities within the community. However, have found that a sizable wildlife area is being removed and Section 8 affordable housing is in the process of being constructed there.

Understand the needs for this type of housing but am more concerned with where access roads will be, the style and height of the new properties, landscaping and time frame to completion. Have any design plans been publicly released on this?

Thanks,
R_H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
DHIC Water Garden Project Receives $870,000 Go-Ahead - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

Vicki

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks Vicki for the background.

There seems to be a complete lack of detail though in the proposed development. I can see it will be a max of 160 new residences and that they are getting good concessions from City of Raleigh and Wake County but that is it really. As they have financing you would hope there are some public plans available that the financing was based on - do these exist?

So - still interested in details of proposed layout, height of properties, landscaping, access points to the development and time frame to completion.

Thanks again,
R_H

Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
DHIC is a great organization. I fully support them and think they'll do well for both existing residents and families in need with this historic property. There are far worse organizations locally than DHIC. It was being development as section 8 by a hedge fund from Hollywood, California, then I'd be concerned. If I were you, I'd contact DHIC or the city directly.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I've read about this project on another blog somewhere. I don't think the project is that far along in the planning phase. It wouldn't surprise me if given the slow down in the economy over the past few years if work on drafting plans was halted. I'm not saying this project is dead, just not as far along as it probably should be so there may not be any plans to review at this point. Still worth making a few calls if you are really interested.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM

112 posts, read 237,466 times
R_H, this is my opinion, based on the conversations I've had with some residents.

DHIC is moving along quite fast on this project, just now finishing up the draining of the pond and Surveying of the property. No exact details are avail of what the project will look like, but I would opine that it will be relatively close to what they have been building recently. Take a look at DHIC, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening neighborhoods and families in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina.

As with most issues involving property, homeowners usually are not interested until it affects them and Long Lake residents are no exception. Most are upset at the lack of information and details, some are positive that the new project will bring vibrancy and foot traffic to the nearby shopping center and a few are furious at the surprise news.

My view is that eventually Marvino Lane/Glenwood Ave will likely be the main access point, including a new bus-stop. It seems to be set-up that way anyways. There was talk of exits/entrances thru the existing townhomes at Mt Valley Ln & Country Trail, but I don't see that happening without a long fight.

The area overall is a jewel and very convenient, so take this info with kindness.

Cheers

Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Jaysk8,

Thanks for the summary there - very informative and will certainly help make a decision.

I looked at the maps of the area at raleighnc.gov and saw the squared off end of road on Marvino Lane. This generally implies future road development and so your view is probably correct. It would then make sense for an entrance way to the development to be between Billingsworth Way and Sommerwell Street perhaps. The added side effect of this is that it looks like Marvino Lane would become a main entrance to the whole N-NW Long Lake development for those coming from Raleigh direction, drastically increasing traffic in that area.

Thanks again - it is a nice area and the above does give food for thought.
R_H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary