Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 39,167 times

Advertisements

I don't know what is wrong with me, i have been getting tickets one after another lately. Here is what happened..

I got 3 tickets total..

1). First ticket i got was due to tail gating

(completed), The judge took it as improper equipment

2). speeding on highway at 3 a.m 80 mph on a 65 mph ( i got this ticket probably 2 weeks after the first one)

Court date 4/14 ( hillsborough Court)

3). This is what i'm really worried about.... I was driving on a road that intercepts into the highway at Raleigh I 40W from crabtree mall back to chapel hill. The speed limit at that road was 50 mph but i drove 77 mph. I wasn't in a good mood that day, my sister and mom make me wait hours in the mall, and wasn't really paying attention to speeding signs and all cars was driving really fast.

Court date 4/7 (Raleigh Court)

I don't know what to do... i know i definitely need a lawyer for the 3rd case , what about the 2nd one? It bothers me how my 3rd ticket's court date is before my 2nd too. What is the worst scenario and what are some alternative/ways i can do to reduce the penalty.... somebody help..

and my parents don't know about my 2nd ticket... should i get a different lawyer for the 2nd ticket because its in hills borough and the 3rd one is in Raleigh. Or just stick to one lawyer...

Last edited by nctl501; 03-24-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM

804 posts, read 2,005,120 times
get an attorney to handle them. s/he can advise best how to deal with the situations. you'll have to pay but it's worth it. it's possible they can perhaps consolidate them & then do a PJC (prayer for judgment continued) which means that the points on your license will be tolled (not assessed) for a period of three years or whenever you receive another ticket, whichever come first. if you receive another ticket within that three years, they will not only asses fines/points on the new ticket, but also pick up the one(s) covered under the PJC. talk to an attorney. this is not a situation that you want to handle yourself.

you'd also better plan on slowing down for the next few years or else you won't be able to afford insurance!

Last edited by LoopDeLoop; 03-24-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,941,187 times
Don't drive angry

Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM

381 posts, read 1,326,150 times
Yes, definitely hire an attorney. I presume both pending tickets are in Wake County. I'll PM you the name of two excellent traffic attorneys who are a good friends of mine.

As a side note, if you have two convictions for any speed above 55mph within a one year period, your license will be suspended. This is why it's important to have an attorney coordinate both tickets for you.

Regarding a PJC, that may be an option, but it should typically be your last resort. Regardless, you get 1 PJC per household in a 3-year period with a max of 2 over a 5-year period per household.

A significant negative with a PJC is that the speed you plead to still shows up on your DMV report; this often leads to your policy being rated high risk and being assigned to the reinsurance facility. If that happens, you will have a 40% increase on your base liability rate regardless of insurance points or license points.

Final note - slow down. Here's a blog entry I wrote that may help: A Thought While Driving « where the blogs have no name

Good luck,
Mike

Disclaimer: I am an attorney and handled thousands of traffic tickets in the Triangle early in my career, but I have not handled traffic tickets now in 10 years. The attorneys I'll PM you about are not affiliated with my firm; I simply know they do very high-quality work.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM

892 posts, read 3,162,576 times
Hillsborough is in Orange County so either try to find an attorney who will go there as well or be sure to communicate b/w the two attorneys.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
s l o w d o w n?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
grow up and slow down.

and be glad youre not my kid.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctl501 View Post
i know i definitely need a lawyer for the 3rd case , what about the 2nd one?
I may be wrong, but I believe the second one presents the largest risk for you - namely suspension of your license.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 AM

381 posts, read 1,326,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the second one presents the largest risk for you - namely suspension of your license.
The 80/65 won't cause a suspension in and of itself, but the 77/50 will. Both would hit insurance pretty hard, though.

Any speed in excess of 55mph that is also more than 15mph over the speed limit triggers a suspension.

fwiw,
Mike

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
Any speed in excess of 55mph that is also more than 15mph over the speed limit triggers a suspension.
Thanks Mike. Just so I'm clear - is it more than 15 over, or 15 or more over? Sounds like it's the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary