Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 AM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times

Advertisements

So today in Cary (an area of town I am not usually in) a Cary police officer pulled me only for not wearing my seat belt. No defense. I was not wearing it. No reason why I was not. No other citation.

$25.50 fine plus $106.50 court costs = $132!!!!

The big question is...is this going to cost me insurance points?

I looked up the statute here: GS_20-135.2A

which says:
(f) No drivers license points or insurance surcharge shall be assessed on account of violation of this section.

So to me this sounds like no license and no insurance points. Am I interpreting this correctly?

If so, it hurts, but I'll pay the $132.

But also, are there any options for getting it dropped? I have a clean driving record...no citations in over 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
I don't know about Wake, but in other counties, I've seen people get it dropped by promising the ADA that it will never happen again.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM

379 posts, read 959,366 times
Definetly, go & appear...chances are VERY favorable that the court courts will be dropped.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,733 times
First, no points for insurance purposes.

As for the charge, you can go and possibly get it dropped but I can tell you that regardless if the drop the seatbelt charge, court costs are not dropped so you will still have to pay that regardless.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM

379 posts, read 959,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
First, no points for insurance purposes.

As for the charge, you can go and possibly get it dropped but I can tell you that regardless if the drop the seatbelt charge, court costs are not dropped so you will still have to pay that regardless.
From personal experience just last week, I not only fought my parking ticket, based on the fact that upon looking up the statute the fine issued of $25.00 was not allowed to exceed $5.00 The judge actually had to look up the statute to find this to be true. He then dropped all court costs as well.

Also, several parking ticket cases before me, the judge lowered their fine to $10 and dropped the $141.00 in court costs.

If a seatbelt charge is different, unless you speak from personal experience, I would fight it.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
definitely show up. but i'd be surprised if they drop court costs. in my experience they've typically dropped fines but not court costs for traffic violations (sounds like parking violations may be different).

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
OK, well yay! that no points will result from this.

So now it's a matter or whether it is worth it to show up. One other question...do I have to wait until the day on the citation? Or can I go before that? The day given on the citation is in May which seems so far off. I'd rather take care of this sooner.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM

260 posts, read 638,191 times
Even if you fight and get fine and/or court costs dropped, it will go in your driving record and your insurance company will take a note. Different insurance companies act differently but rest assured your insurance company will notice it eventually ( may take a year ) and use it against you.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
Even if you fight and get fine and/or court costs dropped, it will go in your driving record and your insurance company will take a note. Different insurance companies act differently but rest assured your insurance company will notice it eventually ( may take a year ) and use it against you.
You are wrong. There are laws to regulate this.

Chapel Hill Insurance Points | Drivers License Points Raleigh| North Carolina Driving Law| Wake County Insurance Rates

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post

Not sure I'd be so certain. My independent agent says he's seem some companies adjust the discount they offer below the rates that are set. So you could see your rate go up by virtue of them choosing to give you less of a discount.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary