Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,793 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Wake Forest in October with my wife to attend Southeastern Seminary. I know this is a broad question, but does anyone have any advice about the area? I guess I'm looking for things that are unique to the triangle area. We're moving from Virginia Beach, so it's not going to be that much different (compared to Los Angeles, Seattle, etc.) for us.

Also, any advice about the area in general would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandroach View Post
I'll be moving to Wake Forest in October with my wife to attend Southeastern Seminary. I know this is a broad question, but does anyone have any advice about the area? I guess I'm looking for things that are unique to the triangle area. We're moving from Virginia Beach, so it's not going to be that much different (compared to Los Angeles, Seattle, etc.) for us.

Also, any advice about the area in general would be greatly appreciated.
There are plenty of things to do...but to be honest...since most of the Seminary students keep to themselves, so I really doubt that those of us that live in Wake Forest would have much to offer you in sharing what we like about the area.

Just be polite to the folks that have made Wake Forest their home and you'll be fine and find things to do.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
Once you find your way around wake forest....definitely venture out into the triangle area! In wake forest, there are a lot of great restaurants (I like miltons in wakefield, la foresta, etc). Wake forest will probably have what you need on a day to day basis, with grocery stores, target, etc There is a quaint tea room in downtown, and I get my haircut at creative shears downtown (a husband and wife operation, they both cut hair).
The farmers market operates downtown in the spring and summer

In and around the triangle:

Duke Gardens (a great place to picnic in the spring to look at amazing flowers)
Duke campus, which is just a beautiful place
UNC campus as well, it is fun going to the old well and seeing those "touristy" things about campus
Umstead park in raleigh, and honestly any of the greenways throughout the triangle are well maintained and nice to get out and walk/bike
Downtown durham is a must, I love the old tobacco mills now restaurants and housing
going to the nc state farmers market (completely huge!!)

I am sure there are many many more things you can do!!!!!!

Leigh

Old 07-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
In wake forest, there are a lot of great restaurants (I like miltons in wakefield, la foresta, etc).
You do know that most of the people from the seminary won't go to any place that serves alcohol....which is most of the decent resturants and many of the not so great ones!

There was a group of folks talking at the dog park the other week about La Foresta (which I finally tried and love!) and one women, who we found out later whose husband is a student there, said she'd love to try it, but they don't go to any place that serves alcohol.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You do know that most of the people from the seminary won't go to any place that serves alcohol....which is most of the decent resturants and many of the not so great ones!

There was a group of folks talking at the dog park the other week about La Foresta (which I finally tried and love!) and one women, who we found out later whose husband is a student there, said she'd love to try it, but they don't go to any place that serves alcohol.
I did not know that!!!! That would definitely limit the restaurant choices, shortys probably even serves beer!!!!

I cannot even name restaurants (outside of fast food) that do not serve alcohol...............

Leigh

Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I did not know that!!!! That would definitely limit the restaurant choices, shortys probably even serves beer!!!!

I cannot even name restaurants (outside of fast food) that do not serve alcohol...............

Leigh
LOL...I was going to say that Shorty's would be the only place left...but I think you are right....they do serve beer!

Downtown has so much potiential..but the even coffee shop just closed (they weren't open on Sunday's..so that had to hurt their business)....so I don't know what is going to happen anymore.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 486,139 times
My sister goes to Southeastern as an undergrad and while they are not supposed to go to a place that is MAINLY alcohol (AKA bar) and they are not supposed to drink alcohol in any restaurant, they are most certainly allowed to eat in restaurants, even restaurants that serve alcohol. lol. as long as it's not being served the them

Old 07-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOltmans View Post
My sister goes to Southeastern as an undergrad and while they are not supposed to go to a place that is MAINLY alcohol (AKA bar) and they are not supposed to drink alcohol in any restaurant, they are most certainly allowed to eat in restaurants, even restaurants that serve alcohol. lol. as long as it's not being served the them
I am just going by what the lady said. She wouldn't talk to anyone again when we continued speaking about resturants and left.

If someone from the seminary is polite...no problem..as I said. I do wish they'd teach their students how to cross the bloody street properly though...jaywalking in traffic is not a good idea no matter who they think they are.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 41,836 times
shorty's does not serve beer

Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I am just going by what the lady said. She wouldn't talk to anyone again when we continued speaking about resturants and left.

If someone from the seminary is polite...no problem..as I said. I do wish they'd teach their students how to cross the bloody street properly though...jaywalking in traffic is not a good idea no matter who they think they are.
I soooooooooooo agree about the jaywalking-they don't even look up and acknowledge that someone has stopped for them-they seem to stare down at the ground. I wonder every time will this "Christian" look up and smile,nod...anything? Is this policy or is being rude a pre-requisite for attendance?!
And while I'm at it...I have had several conversations with students and one faculty member. The student was bothered by some of the Christmas songs-They really don't even have a right to sing about it... she remarked. The faculty member was cheating on his wife and used to punch his dog in the face! Most that I have met have a cult like mentality and very un-Christian like attiude-specifically- the I'm better than you part that I am sure most that know them can relate to. I also know a mom who wanted to put her kids in the preschool there but they wouldn't let her because she was a Mormon!! And they will not accept any donations or volunteers in any capacity of any organization that allows homosexuallity-didn't Jesus regularly hang with some of the worst sinners? HMMMMMMM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary