Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM

41 posts, read 57,423 times

Advertisements

Another place my wife and I were interested in looking at homes is the Planters Walk S/D off of 64 Business in Knightdale. Seems like a nice family oriented neighborhood with great ammenities like walking trail and pool. My one concern is that the new section of I-540 literally splits the subdivision in two halfs with I-540 crossing right between what seems to be the older part of the neighborhood and a new phase. It would be great to be so close to I-540 for travelling to / from work, but I worry there would be a considerable amount of noise from all the traffic making the homes in the area less appealing and hurting their resale value in the future. Anybody here live in Planters Walk and have the same concerns? Are owners trying to sell before this section of I-540 opens in April 2007?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM

312 posts, read 1,906,189 times
Hi,we went to Knightdale with our realtor and she showed some Planter's Walk houses to us. We liked the area and the shopping centers aren't too far from there. Once we headed back to FL and did some extensive online research on Knightdale, we found several negative things about Planter's Walk and other subdivisions close by.

It was mainly about kids aren't allowed to play on their home street, like basketball and jump-roping, when it's not busy. HOA doesn't like it and warned homeowners not to let their kids playing on the street just because it will hurt the value of their property. Alot of parents are upset since there is no playground nearby and they're paying their HOA for nothing. Also, there were gangsters' graffiti showing up on cars, sidewalks, building, etc. I also read that some schools aren't too good.

All you have to do is to type the subdivision's name, town of knightdale, city hall meeting, etc, on your favorite search engine online and you will come up with the info about it. That's where I got the info from.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,909,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
It was mainly about kids aren't allowed to play on their home street, like basketball and jump-roping, when it's not busy. HOA doesn't like it and warned homeowners not to let their kids playing on the street just because it will hurt the value of their property. Alot of parents are upset since there is no playground nearby and they're paying their HOA for nothing. Also, there were gangsters' graffiti showing up on cars, sidewalks, building, etc. I also read that some schools aren't too good.

The hoa doesn't like kids playing ??

How can kids playing hurt the value of property??
Has anyone else seen seen in their HOA

Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 PM

They don't like kids to put the portable basketball pole on the street and play. They also don't like kids use the chalk drawings on the sidewalk. HOA is saying that it's unattractive to the community.

Kids play balls and tend to crash onto the windows - both cars and houses.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:45 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,043,576 times
I do not personally know anything about the neighborhood, but I would really investigate the 540 thing before you purchase. Try to go to the dot site and find out where exactly the bypass is coming through. You would be surprised how much noise (even with barriers) it can make and how much it does effect the future sale of a home.

as for kids playing ball in the street. Our HOA in cary didn't allow portable basketball goals in the street either, and most don't. they allow them in the driveways of most homes, but not in the common areas on the streets. as for chaulk, that would have been tough to enforce on our neighborhood! it was everywhere!

Leigh

Old 08-27-2006, 05:03 PM

26 posts, read 95,469 times
I can't help but to feel upset when I read this... We complain that our kids spend too much time watching TV, and we compare to the times when WE were raised and how much time we spent outside playing. The beauty of living in a development is that kids CAN play outside and there would be little concern about them getting hurt, and what do we do? We limit them from doing the very same things we said we did and WANT them to do: play outside with the kids in the neighborhood, draw with chalk and jump around, scream with joy when they are having fun....Go figure...

Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 PM

SergeNJ - I completely agree with you. That's why we bought a house where our subdivision have playground, swimming pool, clubhouse, and more to keep my son active instead of staying home and watch TV. We ended up bought a house in Johnston County and very happy with it.

Speaking of 540 thing, I have to agree with leighbe because I don't feel safe for having kids playing near the highway. Noise is another problem and it can hurt your chance of selling your house in the future. Most buyers are usually stay away from highway, railroad track (that's me - took a looooonnng time to find a buyer for our FL home!), well water, bad area, etc.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 AM

Here are some articles I found, regarding to 540 noises and graffiti crimes.

"Planter’s Walk residents are happy the walls are going up," referring to the newly concrete walls to block from highway noises.
http://www.easternwakenews.com/news/story/2939327p-9381589c.html (broken link)

"Planter's Walk resident Mark Pitzel said he worries about gang activity, but is more concerned that town leaders may be infringing on the constitutional rights of teen-agers. He compared the efforts to an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show," saying Knightdale should be more like the reasonable Sheriff Andy Taylor and less like nervous deputy Barney Fife."
http://www.easternwakenews.com/news/knightdale/story/2482910p-8887001c.html (broken link)

he Knightdale EMS building on First Avenue and adjacent businesses, the Planter's Walk clubhouse and random signs within the development, and Wellington Nursing Center were all reported to have been tagged by the group, police said. Authorities do not believe members of the Folk nation are trying to convey a message of violence — only to mark their territory.
http://www.easternwakenews.com/news/story/2222546p-8602946c.html (broken link)

Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM

41 posts, read 57,423 times
Thanks for the link to those articels cakeprincess. I was oblivious to the gang problem out there. I don't want to say that I wouldn't consider living in Knightdale becasue of it becasue I am sure there are soem very nice places to live there, but I am saddened to leanr that one of the subdivisions I was looking at houses in has had problems with graffiti in the past. The older section of planters walk seemed like such a nice family oriented place to live, but this has made me think twice about it. Thansk again for your inpu!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 AM

ncgreen - you're certainly welcome! I, too, was disappointed when I found out about it. I really love Knightdale area, especially the shopping area and sports program for kids, but I got more turned off after I read about their schools' report. We ended up living in Clayton and loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary