Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM

33 posts, read 207,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
For heaven's sake, don't just get a degree to have a degree. Get a degree that will guarantee a career...like something in health care. If I could live my life over again.......
I think I was a little too dismissive of this advice at first. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was 18 and decided to switch my major from accounting to criminal justice because the sample class at orientation was "more fun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
Degrees don't guarantee careers as far as I know, but I do know I haven't been able to apply for a lot of jobs I'm otherwise qualified for and would love to have just because I don't have a bachelors. Many jobs don't seem care so much what the degree is in, they just want you to have one.

I agree with part of what you're saying, because I think a lot of degrees probably aren't worth the cost. My situation is a little different, I was only about 4 - 6 classes away from graduation. I'll take whatever degree I can transfer the most credits to.
It is true that no degree guarantees employment, and that these days in particular, one should get a degree that actually has employment prospects (says he whose first BA was in Linguistics...), but it is also true that once you're "within smelling distance" of a degree, you might as well finsih and get SOMETHING to show for the years you put into school. Even if you don't ever "use" it, having that piece of paper that says you attained something is worth personal satisfaction, and, from an employment standpoint, it shows that you can start what you finish (in this case, even years later). In this area, having a Bachelor's in most fields might not be "worth" much, but not having one when so many do would almost certainly be a hindrance.

I know a woman in her 50s who had been to at least 4 colleges and universities over the years, never quite finishing the program she was in; she finally went to an admissions counselor at one school and said "here are my transcripts; help me find whatever degree I can get the fastest". Getting back on the horse after falling (more than once) is an admirable trait.

Quote:
I think I was a little too dismissive of this advice at first. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was 18 and decided to switch my major from accounting to criminal justice because the sample class at orientation was "more fun".
Yes; the old "what you enjoy vs what you can make a living with" argument. I made a smilar switch and it took me two Bachelor's and a Masters (all of the double majors) to finally end up in something "quote-unquote employable". But it is also myopic to claim that no class that doesn't directly lead to a job is valuable, either. Generally my advice to people or kids regarding college is to double major in one thing you love and one thing that will get you a job (and more power to you if these are one and the same!). This economy, in particular, is brutal to the liberal arts folks--even though I do believe it is certainly a benefit to society to have them (us) around.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,739 times
During Graduate school I earned a stipend working in the University's Admissions Dept. (reviewing applications, transcripts, and essays, etc). The advice from fellow C-D members to meet with an admissions counselor is spot on. This is your opportunity to present "your case."

DO NOT lie about your past enrollments. Everything is computerized and linked, especially if you have ever applied for financial aid. If they catch you lying, your chances of admittance will be very low.

Every university is different, however, it is fairly standard that a student must complete at least 60 credit hours at that particular institution to receive a diploma. This protects the "brand" of each college. It wouldn't be fair for instance for a student to complete 3 years at a humdrum college, then transfer to Harvard and receive a Harvard diploma. Also, a college wants to be certain that you are worthy of a diploma with its name. I imagine that someone long ago determined that 60 credits is the "magic" number. Keep in mind that many colleges will not transfer credits that are older than 6 years, which is why you really need to speak with an admissions counselor.

I know that you want to finish as quickly as possible and without paying a lot. However, this may not be possible.

On a positive note, most admissions departments will work with you. They want to see you succeed and many offer extensive opportunities for non-traditional students.

Best of luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM

101 posts, read 227,106 times
Also look at Mout Olive College they have a program that makes it so you can have a bs degree in 75 weeks. They say it is intense-one night a week and I believe a course finished every 5 weeks. And I believe they would honor your transfers. They also do it online-but they said that was harder. They have several satelite locations around the state.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM

223 posts, read 577,017 times
Make sure you avoid the University of Phoenix scam! Not that you were considering it, but many do when they feel that they have limited options.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
NC public colleges and universities have matriculation agreements with the community colleges in NC that address transfer of associate degrees earned at a state community college. (Note I'm talking only NC community college to NC college/university.) In most instances, those matriculation agreements cover only AA and AS degrees. AAS degrees are in most instances not covered. However, a couple of colleges do have matriculation agreements that cover AAS degrees - UNC Greensboro has a "2-plus" program for certain transferring AAS degrees. I think, but am not sure, that UNC Charlotte may also have such a program. Beyond that, a student with an AAS degree is treated as any other non-degreed transfer student. The advantage of transferring a degree is that the college only looks at your record in that degree program - if you have other college experience in which you didn't do so well, they don't count that in calculating your GPA, for example.

Oh, and by the way - "UNC-Greenville"? Perhaps you mean East Carolina University? There is no UNC Greenville.
LOL! I know it's ECU -Pirate land Was tired and distracted...thanks for correcting. Glad you mentioned UNC-C...my relative transferred some of those same credits there too, he was pleased with how they worked with him.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
I think you need to ask yourself why you want this degree. Do you want to finish for the sake of finishing or do you really want to do something with your degree?

Having a Bachelor's degree in either Criminal Justice or Accounting does give you some options. Have your researched what types of careers you would be interested in pursuing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary