Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 11,013,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Ugh, gave me unpleasant flashbacks. I drove up THAT VERY HILL that day (was wondering if I'd see my car in line in the videos), and yes, it was terrifying to see cars uphill of me sliding all around. It probably took me45 mins just to get from the bottom of that hill up to where the Convention Center is (wasn't there then), but when my turn came, I made damn sure nobody was immediately in front of me.

Ironically, I thought my troubles were "over" after that hill--8 hours later (on Falls of the Neuse, just like OpAck), I finally got to North Raleigh!
My wife finally got on the Beltline at Brentwood Rd at 3:00 pm. She got home to North Hills at 10:30. My daughter was stranded at Broughton. She finally walked home around 9:00 pm. I felt completely useless because I couldn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

187 posts, read 805,636 times
So does anyone know what the National Weather Service is predicting for our area next week or what the European weather models are showing? Those are what seem to be accurate... I'm always so frustrated by the local weather forecasters - always wrong...

Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,200,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I totally agree with this statement, HOWEVER, the incident that he was referring to (1/2" of ice shutting down the region) would have been the same anywhere. Plows, salt, nor driving skills could have overcome that. It was a freak occurance where the ground was VERY cold, and the precip fell quickly and froze to ice.

It could have happened in Minnesota, and they still wouldn't be able to deal with it (except that if it was in MN, there would already be snow on the ground, and the air would have been colder, so it would have fallen differently, and therefore it would never happen in MN...)

I laugh at NC Snows too (and the Browns), but this one was really not a result of all of that.
Gotta agree with that. It was a freak event that people like to use every once in a while to laugh at southerners! The truth is that is was a horrible, horrible mess, like I've never seen in this area. It was definitely an anomaly.

And funny, I always find the local forecasters better! I usually ignore the national models!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 11,013,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
So does anyone know what the National Weather Service is predicting for our area next week or what the European weather models are showing? Those are what seem to be accurate... I'm always so frustrated by the local weather forecasters - always wrong...
I watched Fischel at five. He said that although there is potential for a snow storm here Monday and Tuesday....don't take it to the bank tonight..not tomorrow and probably not Saturday. There are many many scenarios to the outcome of this one.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM

776 posts, read 1,689,420 times
Yeah, alot of questions for our area remain. NWS won't say much...just that the potential is there for a significant winter storm. Doesn't mean we'll be in the path, but someone is going to get alot of snow...and models tend to be leaning towards the path more west and south of here. Of course, it's still too far out to really hone in on totals and precip type.

I will say at this point, the possibility is there for a rather nasty ice storm. Let's just hope for either all snow or all rain.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,510,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I totally agree with this statement, HOWEVER, the incident that he was referring to (1/2" of ice shutting down the region) would have been the same anywhere. Plows, salt, nor driving skills could have overcome that. It was a freak occurance where the ground was VERY cold, and the precip fell quickly and froze to ice.

It could have happened in Minnesota, and they still wouldn't be able to deal with it (except that if it was in MN, there would already be snow on the ground, and the air would have been colder, so it would have fallen differently, and therefore it would never happen in MN...)

I laugh at NC Snows too (and the Browns), but this one was really not a result of all of that.

Not quite. They would still have been able to get salt trucks with tons of material out and roads would have been treated. Here they just do not have enough of anything to get roads treated unless you are talking about the brining. Which just gets washed away after the first hour or so and the remaining water then just FREEZE'S.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Keep your eye on tomorrow night's event. There's a possibility we could be caught a bit off guard with the "dusting" that is in the forecast. We could very well see 1-3 inches. Areas to the south of Raleigh...as far as Fayettevile, could see closer to 3 inches.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM

The latest Euro (ECMWF) run basically makes next week's storm a non-event for this area. It'll hit the mountains pretty hard and even south towards Atlanta and over thru northern Alabama, but it's shaping up to be a dud here. Total precip around .43 inch over the course of 24 hours. If that were all snow, it'd be near 3-5 inches...however, it's projected to be a mixed bag of rain and sleet, so that would bring snow totals down. It's quite possible, based on the latest models, we could see more snow accumulation tomorrow night with this clipper over the bigger storm on Monday.

Again, we're still nearly 4 days out and there won't be much confidence until later in the weekend. But we're not headed in the right direction for you snow lovers.

Bear in mind also...there's another storm behind this one that we'll need to watch later in the week and the possibility for some crazy single digit-teen temps...especially out by the mountains.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 AM

4,663 posts, read 6,563,093 times
305 am EST Fri Jan 7 2011

...Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 4 PM this afternoon to
4 am EST Saturday...

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for a light accumulation of snow...which is in
effect from 4 PM this afternoon to 4 am EST Saturday.

* Locations affected: along and north of a line from Albemarle...
to Southern Pines...to Lillington...to Smithfield...to
Goldsboro. This includes the traid...Triangle...and Rocky Mount
Wilson areas.

* Precipitation types: the precipitation will begin as light rain or
a mix of light rain and snow this afternoon...then transition to
mainly or all snow by this evening.

* Accumulation: a swath of one to two inches of snow can be expected
across the advisory area...but the potential exists for a narrow
corridor of locally higher amounts in the vicinity of US Highway
Severe weather watches and warnings :: WRAL.com

Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM

4,663 posts, read 6,563,093 times
The new GFS is not only wetter (whiter) for NC, it is colder, which would mean a big thumping for NC. Good trends for NC snowlovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary