Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 148,770 times

Advertisements

I haven't actually ever used City-Data posts before, so sorry if I ask too much info in one post or if I don't manage to do this correctly the first time...

My hubby and I rent in Garner now while we are selling our home in Mooresville NC. We are thinking of moving to Cary. We really need advice on the best neighborhoods with pools, and good schools. We are in the 250-325 price range. Does anyone know anything about Westpark?

We also like some homes in Holly Springs but we don't want new construction and we don't know anything about schools there. Our son is just a baby so we really haven't the first clue about what to look for in a school anyway.

What we really want is a starter house in a community that we can grow in. This is our second move in one yr so we are looking forward to staying put for a while in a nice community.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,668 times
I really like Westpark in Cary. It a neighborhood that we seriously considered when moving down here. Here's my take on the positives and negatives:

Positives: great schools (Davis Drive traditional calendar), mature lots, really nice walking trails throughout the neighborhood, within walking distance of two grocery stores, two drugstores, a video store, an Ace Hardware and a few restaurants. Folks who live there seem very happy and there is not a lot of turnover in homes (although was a small ruch to sell some homes when the new strip map (Kroger's) was being put in a couple of years back. The prices are more affordable than the neighboring Wellsley and nearby Reserve, but that is largely b/c of the lot and house size. On the whole, they seem to have held their value well.

Potential negatives: Abuts 55, which is currently two lanes in both directions (with center turn lane). I've heard that 55 may eventually be three lanes each way, but this might not be accurate. There are few, if any sidewalks in the development, so any walks need to be along the trail or in the street. Houses are of good size (typically 2,000 - 3,000 sq. ft.) on.25 acre lots. the developmen is relatively hilly so getting a completely flat lot may be difficult, though not impossible. They have a couple of tennis courts and a pool--although the pool is really teeny so if you are into swimming you may need to join the YMCA or Prestonwood Country Club (which is just up the road). The houses were built when hardiplank (I think that's what it's called) was commonly used and there have been some moisture issues in some houses b/c of this. We also heard that some of the original plumbing in some of these homes also had breakage and leakage problems, so you might want to check that out.

A lovely community on the whole though!!! Good luck

Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 PM

146 posts, read 691,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
The houses were built when hardiplank (I think that's what it's called) was commonly used and there have been some moisture issues in some houses b/c of this.
I think you might be talking about Masonite. Hardiplank is being used on a lot of homes that are being built now. I have heard of a lot of moisture issues with Masonite though.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Yes Hardboard/ Masonite....it seems like most of the homes in Cary have that though. I feel like my need for a pool is really limiting our choices in Cary, but that is why we moved from NY to NC! Silly to give that up now. Any advice on good pool communities?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 PM

24 posts, read 73,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceliz1980 View Post
Any advice on good pool communities?
My neighborhood, Abbington, is definitely a pool community, but I think it's out of your price range. I'd check the local paper for swim meet results - that'll tell you some of the neighborhoods with bigger pools and more active swim communities!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,127,770 times
I've seen so many pools! We are members of Cary Swim Club which srrvices the older parts of Cary (but ANYONE can join), which also have starter homes (for Cary standards). In our time on the swim team, we've visited many pools and so many of them are nice. Cary Swim Club, Scottish Hills (our bretheren pool "buddies), Silverton, Prestonwood, Lochmere and Wellsley amongst many others. Almost all of the major neighborhoods here have nice pools. Prestonwood's swim club by far is the most impressive, but all of them are really nice. If you find yourselves looking into central Cary, check out Cary Swim Club. We're hosting the Cary Invitational Swim Meet on July 7th and it would be a great time to come and check out the pool. Also, if you have kids involved in swimming competitively, almost all of the local year round TSA teams will have representatives there recruiting. It's free and if you like swim team, it would be a great place to start looking for local pool communities.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 PM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceliz1980 View Post
I haven't actually ever used City-Data posts before, so sorry if I ask too much info in one post or if I don't manage to do this correctly the first time...

My hubby and I rent in Garner now while we are selling our home in Mooresville NC. We are thinking of moving to Cary. We really need advice on the best neighborhoods with pools, and good schools. We are in the 250-325 price range. Does anyone know anything about Westpark?

We also like some homes in Holly Springs but we don't want new construction and we don't know anything about schools there. Our son is just a baby so we really haven't the first clue about what to look for in a school anyway.

What we really want is a starter house in a community that we can grow in. This is our second move in one yr so we are looking forward to staying put for a while in a nice community.

Thanks!
Your might consider Oxxford Hunt, great pool.
Or, something in Kildaire Farms.
Possibly Silverton/Springbrooke
You have a lot of choices in the $250,000-$325,000 Range, in Cary.
Have you considered Apex?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I've seen so many pools! We are members of Cary Swim Club which srrvices the older parts of Cary (but ANYONE can join),
Our son is 4 mos, so we just want a pool for guests and ourselves...is the Swim Club still good for that? Do they allow guests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary