Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM

118 posts, read 345,644 times

Advertisements

My husband loves beer and even makes some himself from time to time. He likes to experiment with different beers and frankly they're wicked expensive. Yikes!

Back in MD we had a few places that were huge places where you could buy beer (or wine) for a discounted price. Is there anything like that near Raleigh? We're in Cary. I've seen wine superstores, but I'm looking for something similar for beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,309,287 times
Are you looking for a diverse beer selection are just discounted price? I am not aware of any discount beer places in the area. Even big wine warehouses like total wine that sell wine and beer sell at what appear to be regular retail prices.

I imagine the Whole Foods in Cary has a decent craft beer selection (but again, no discounted prices). There are some good small shops in Raleigh (Peace Street Market) and Durham (Sam's Quick Shop) that have extensive beer selections but they aren't very close to Cary. Sorry!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 PM

51 posts, read 143,348 times
The Meat House in Cary, has a decent selection. But they are not discounted. The Peace Street Market in Raleigh has an awesome selection. But again, not discounted. I will watch postings, hopefully someone knows of a great discount beer shop that we are not aware of.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM

238 posts, read 669,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
My husband loves beer and even makes some himself from time to time. He likes to experiment with different beers and frankly they're wicked expensive. Yikes!

Back in MD we had a few places that were huge places where you could buy beer (or wine) for a discounted price. Is there anything like that near Raleigh? We're in Cary. I've seen wine superstores, but I'm looking for something similar for beer?
Total Wine has the best selection of beer I have seen around here. They won't be at a discounted price though. You can go there and buy singles and mix/match your own 6 packs.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM

226 posts, read 610,665 times
I don't know any discount stores that sell premium beers. Whole Foods has a decent selection and even Harris Teeter is stepping up. Fresh Market and Trader Joe's are trying but they are still pretty light on the good stuff. Try Total Wine for the largest selection. They are full price, but you'll find a very diverse collection there. Go there often enough and they start greeting you by name.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,293,441 times
Have you been to Trader Joe's? They sell a variety of ales, stouts, etc., even seasonal beers. They are great for sampling, as you don't have to buy a six pack. They sell individually for $1 apiece, some are a little more.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,313,325 times
My husband likes the beer at Trader Joe's. You can mix and match them if you want to sample different varieties, and they're $1 a bottle.

ETA: thesnowapefamily, GMTA!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,618,569 times
Trader Joe's does have good prices, but the selection is not very good. Trader Joe's actually contracts with big breweries to relabel their beers for Trader Joe's, thereby allowing lower prices. For example, their German-style beers are brewed by Gordon Biersch, and their Belgian-style beers are brewed by Unibroue.

There are not very many great beer stores in the area, other than those already mentioned by PPs

One thing that you did hit on that interests me is that your husband dabbles in homebrewing. We have a big homebrewing club here in Raleigh called CARBOY (Cary-Apex-Raleigh Brewers of Yore). We get together once a month (4th Wed) up near Crabtree Mall to sample homebrews, discuss future beer events and parties, and just have a good time. We spent last Saturday down in Charlotte serving 18 kegs of our homebrew at the Charlotte Oktoberfest. If your husband would like to learn more about us, please PM me.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM

313 posts, read 300,998 times
The Exxon on 401 just south of Rolesville carries a nice selection I've heard. I have not had a chance to check it yet or go to Sams Quick Stop (that gets great reviews). There was Tarheel Wine Traders but he had to close shop because he couldn't move product. If I had the ducats, I wish I could have taken over that shop. Tipsy Gourmet tried to open, but failed to truly understand the demographic.

I sought these out because I am a big fan of Gulden Draak, and its hard to find it here. You may want to check out Aviator too (brewery). There are a few breweries around here that make a tasty treat.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,358 times
Buy a beer club membership at Sam's quick shop, you'll get 10% off high gravity beers (aka above 6% alcohol). Then, since the credit card companies consider it a gas station (which it is), use a credit card that gives you a big cash back on gas purchases to get an additional 5% off. Joy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary