Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM

21 posts, read 75,582 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to buy a single family home under $300K in Cary. I prefer to remain close to central Cary. The problem I'm running into is my taste. I have no preference in the age of the home, but I don't like transitional or split levels. What I'm tending to find is that I'm priced out of the more traditional style homes. Can anyone suggest neighborhoods where I could find a more traditional style home closer to Central or East Cary. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 PM

32 posts, read 123,820 times
You may not be able to find one in Cary anymore (at least a decent SFH), but you should look into the Ramblewood development near North Hills. The condos are beautiful and only come in 2br+.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
You should be able to find something in central Cary in your price range (probably less) but you will have to sort through tons of split levels which were predominant when that area of Cary was built. Look into Coronado Village, Greeenwood Estates, Stoneybrook, Walnut Hills (lots of split levels, but not all of them are) Tanglewood, Farmington Woods and there is one right off 54 in East Cary that is very nice but I just can't think of the name of it right now. It's newer homes, slightly smaller lots though but still a very pretty neighborhood. I'll figure out what it's called and let you know. Also, Kildaire Farms is just slightly west of "central Cary", but still pretty "central" if you ask me.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You should be able to find something in central Cary in your price range (probably less) but you will have to sort through tons of split levels which were predominant when that area of Cary was built. Look into Coronado Village, Greeenwood Estates, Stoneybrook, Walnut Hills (lots of split levels, but not all of them are) Tanglewood, Farmington Woods and there is one right off 54 in East Cary that is very nice but I just can't think of the name of it right now. It's newer homes, slightly smaller lots though but still a very pretty neighborhood. I'll figure out what it's called and let you know. Also, Kildaire Farms is just slightly west of "central Cary", but still pretty "central" if you ask me.
I probably should revise my "location". We're definitely open to the areas outside of central Cary, but neither my husband or myself are RTP people-so we're not really interested in moving in that direction. Other than that we're open. Thanks Lamishra!

Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperionvi View Post
You may not be able to find one in Cary anymore (at least a decent SFH), but you should look into the Ramblewood development near North Hills. The condos are beautiful and only come in 2br+.
There are plenty of "decent" SFH homes in Cary for under $300K, both newer and older.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
There are plenty of "decent" SFH homes in Cary for under $300K, both newer and older.
I agree! I just think so many of the neighborhoods are pricey (we're a young couple) and lack any trees. I prefer this part of Cary b/c the lots seem to be much more mature.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:21 PM

I love the older neighborhoods in Cary - plenty of trees, and large lots. I'm likely going to move there next year but watch the MLS now for fun. I've seen quite a few homes come on the market that I'd definitely consider, including some with .5 or .75 acre lots. Granted, there are a lot of split-levels but other styles are definitely available. The neighborhoods Lamishra listed are a great start. Oxxford Hunt is another option - newer, but is very close to Bond Park - I might give up a little land a few trees to be able to walk around that park whenever I wanted to.

edit: You can also search on the HPW website - Raleigh Real Estate Cary Apex Agent Chapel Hill Coldwell Banker HPW. You can search by home style to narrow it down a bit. You'll still get some split-levels mixed in, but at least you eliminate the transitionals.

Last edited by adlnc07; 06-29-2007 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: .

Old 06-29-2007, 02:43 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
We're in central "older" Cary and really, really enjoy it here. It's wooded, nice sized lots and close to everything. Of course if you want newly constricted subdivisions, central Cary is not the best place to look. Also, very few, if any, HOA's to deal with (not my thing).
Our swim club services many of these older, central Cary neighborhoods and we just LOVE the people we've met. Very "normal", friendly and unpretentious. Also we've never felt any pressure here to "keep up with the Jonses" you know? I think the Jonses just don't live around here! :-)
Plus being near downtown is nice. I just went to town hall to pay my water bill and was able to drive there, park, pay my bill and get home in 15 minutes.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Of course if you want newly constricted subdivisions, central Cary is not the best place to look.
I know you probably meant "constructed" - but I had to chuckle because "constricted" describes a lot of newer subdivisions!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,021 times
Default Have you tried Northwoods area?

There's a house for sale in our neighborhood for under 230K$. It's a quiet established community with some sidewalks, lots of mature trees. Traffic is minimal, people are friendly. No HOA. Close to downtown Cary, farmers market, shopping, grocery, dog park...whatever you need. Try going left on maynard off of harrison towards mall, right on gregory drive, right on bellhaven rd, right on drywood place, left on ohara court. House as at end of cul-de-sac. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary