Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM

19 posts, read 49,234 times

Advertisements

Approximately how long did people coming in from different states stay in the Raleigh area to go house hunting on their first visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,706,731 times
It took my freinds who moved from MN 3 times at 1 week stays with 2 week intervals in between. They were familiar with the area and lived here once before for a few years before having to leave due to job transfer.

I would imagine it will be different for everyone depending on their circumstances and if they are familiar with NC at all.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 17,653,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessofmesoon View Post
Approximately how long did people coming in from different states stay in the Raleigh area to go house hunting on their first visit?
It depends on what you mean by that. . . .

My wife and I came here once for the weekend just to see if Raleigh was a nice place to relocate to. We drove around, had lunch with some old friends, and met with a realtor, who drove us around for an afternoon.

Once we did actually move here, which was a year later, we spent our first 9 months hunting for a house.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM

405 posts, read 1,774,108 times
We came down from Illinois for one 2-day weekend and that was it. No kidding.

HOWEVER, I had spent months prior to that looking at things on the Internet and chatting via phone/email with our NC realtor. We came down in December and probably looked at 20 houses in 2 days--made an offer and got it accepted on the 2nd day. On a grad student salary, we weren't really able to schedule more/longer visits than that... but I'd say everything turned out wonderfully despite it all. We're in a great house in a great location. I'm kinda glad we did it so quickly instead of dragging it out unnecessarily.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 PM

548 posts, read 2,653,330 times
We spent one week looking at Chapel Hill and Raleigh, having never been here before. By the end of the week, we knew which neighborhoods of Chapel Hill we wanted to be in so had the realtor email us new listings.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM

27 posts, read 95,133 times
we're coming down next week for 2 days, just to see how NC fits us, and how we fit in NC. I envision us coming for another few days later this year to look in more detail.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

71 posts, read 249,721 times
Our realtor suggested that we come down for at least 4 days to eliminate areas we don't want to setup appointments to see model homes.

Are you going to have a home customized in a new subdivision or will you be renting?

Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM

123 posts, read 486,767 times
We didn't come at all! We found a house on MLS, sent our family (who lives in Raleigh) to see it with our agent, and came to town for the closing. Crazy I know but we both grew up in the area and were very familiar with it.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM

36 posts, read 112,452 times
for us: first time just a weekend.

Second time: we just finished a 3 week stay. Saw about 60 houses and made an offer for one. Now we are in the negotiation period. We are heading back to FL tomorrow and handle this process by phone.

To get the feel of the area and pick the location, It take us 2 week. We spend close to 6 hr each day just driving anound the area and see houses.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 PM

850 posts, read 3,630,889 times
We rented for 6 months and couldn't imagine doing it any other way (everyone is different and have to do what feels right for them). During that time, we spent every weekend looking at areas and subdivisions on our own. Once we decided on an area, we found a realtor local to the area we wanted and then found our house. We also did extensive (borderline obsessive) research online. I'd print out MLS homes and mapquest them so we could see if the areas/homes looked good in person as much as the did on paper.

Some folks prefer to find a house and move in right away. Whatever you decide, good luck!!!

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary