Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,287,929 times

Advertisements

So we've been here a few months and I'm really wanting to find a church. We visited a neighbor's church in Apex and while we liked it we aren't sure it's for us. I'd like to find something in the Cary/Holly Springs area so the drive time won't make us unlikely to get involved.

My last church was non-denominational and in a school--for 6 years! That was one of my biggest complaints because they had the money to build but the pastor didn't want to and the pastor/staff didn't put up with anyone questioning their decisions. Although I grew up traditional Southern Baptist, I'm more used to a casual feeling church now with praise music and not having to feel like I have to dress up too much (I know some Baptist churches have gone that direction as well now). Not concerned about denomination, although I would certainly fall in the evangelical group but at the same time not overly legalistic. For example, my ex-SIL thought Santa was satan and refused to let her kids dress up at all on Halloween even for the Harvest Festival. I on the other hand have learned that a glass of wine with dinner isn't a one-way road to you know where(it took work being Baptist for so long and I hid the wine bottles until after my mother died!) and feel more comfortable finding a way to work with the holidays so my kids can still have fun.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want huge where we'd get lost but not too small either as we did the start-up thing and I'd like a church that was a tad more settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 121,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
So we've been here a few months and I'm really wanting to find a church. We visited a neighbor's church in Apex and while we liked it we aren't sure it's for us. I'd like to find something in the Cary/Holly Springs area so the drive time won't make us unlikely to get involved.

My last church was non-denominational and in a school--for 6 years! That was one of my biggest complaints because they had the money to build but the pastor didn't want to and the pastor/staff didn't put up with anyone questioning their decisions. Although I grew up traditional Southern Baptist, I'm more used to a casual feeling church now with praise music and not having to feel like I have to dress up too much (I know some Baptist churches have gone that direction as well now). Not concerned about denomination, although I would certainly fall in the evangelical group but at the same time not overly legalistic. For example, my ex-SIL thought Santa was satan and refused to let her kids dress up at all on Halloween even for the Harvest Festival. I on the other hand have learned that a glass of wine with dinner isn't a one-way road to you know where(it took work being Baptist for so long and I hid the wine bottles until after my mother died!) and feel more comfortable finding a way to work with the holidays so my kids can still have fun.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want huge where we'd get lost but not too small either as we did the start-up thing and I'd like a church that was a tad more settled.
Hope Community Church is a big church in Raleigh, but they also have a Holly Springs campus. We used to go to the Raleigh church when we lived in Cary. Might be worth checking out... If anything, it may be "too casual" for you, but then again, it might be a nice fit.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,338 times
We sound like we're looking for a lot of the same things in a church... Perhaps you'd like to try my church! I attend Cary Alliance Church. It's off Ten-Ten Rd. near its intersection with Holly Springs Rd. (Between HS Rd. and Kildaire Farms Rd.) I live in H.Springs and it takes me about 15 minutes to get to church. It's so worth it!

Cary Alliance Church That's the website, of course!

My husband comes from a southern Baptist background; I come from a non-denominational background. He grew up with hymns; I was saved by rock and roll Christian music. During our marriage, we've mostly attended Baptist churches, but we both are happy at Cary Alliance, and so are our kids.

Dress at Cary Alliance is not too dressy (he wears slacks and a button down shirt; I wear slacks and a nice shirt most days). Worship is awesome! It's a band (drums, guitar, keyboard, piano, bass, etc.) that plays contemporary Christian music and hymns. Our pastor will be talking about humility, I think, tomorrow, unless the Lord leads him otherwise, of course!

There are a ton of programs at the church for both children and adults... lots of ways to plug in. Also, there's a real focus on missions, as a missionary alliance church, which is a denomination that has a lot of the same beliefs as Baptists, I've found.

Service times are 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. ... but, this month, they only are offering a full range of childcare during the early service. Next month, it goes back to regular with childcare during both services. (Just care for the littlest kids is available at 11 a.m. this month, ages 0-3, I think!)

It's a fantastic church. I've been going for about a year and a half, maybe 2 years now. Okay. I think I've blogged on a little too much. Hope you check it out!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,356,818 times
Triangle community church on kildaire (very close to HS) is very good and sounds like a fit for you. Triangle Community Church

Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM

725 posts, read 1,507,287 times
If you're between Cary and Holly Springs I suggest Calvary Chapel Cary.
The address is 1600 Center Street which is actually Apex (right over the border near the ten-ten road exit of 55). Check out the website to see if it's for you; you can read the statement of faith and download a podcast.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 PM

448 posts, read 855,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
If you're between Cary and Holly Springs I suggest Calvary Chapel Cary.
The address is 1600 Center Street which is actually Apex (right over the border near the ten-ten road exit of 55). Check out the website to see if it's for you; you can read the statement of faith and download a podcast.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but would hate to start another thread. Does Calvary Chapel have many children's ministries? I attend Calvary Community Church here in Phoenix and we will be moving to the Raleigh area. Calvary here has so many different ministries and services. I have really been blessed by the church. How long have you attended and what is your opinion?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,507,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but would hate to start another thread. Does Calvary Chapel have many children's ministries? I attend Calvary Community Church here in Phoenix and we will be moving to the Raleigh area. Calvary here has so many different ministries and services. I have really been blessed by the church. How long have you attended and what is your opinion?
I love my church family (we've been going about 4 years now) and my kids are involved in the children's ministry. Kids classes go up to 5th grade and older kids are involved in youth ministry.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 PM

330 posts, read 988,271 times
Connections Church seems to fit the description of what you are looking for. You can certainly check out their website (and listen to past messages online -- which will give you a very good flavor of the style of church it is).

It is in a very convenient location to you.

Raleigh Churches - Non-denominational: Connections Church - Raleigh, Cary, Apex

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,287,929 times
I guess I'll have the week to think about it. Looked at all the places y'all graciously recommended and went to bed unsure of which one to try today. I asked God to make it very clear where He wanted us to go. At 3 AM we woke up to our 9 year old sobbing in pain--thank goodness it was his left abdomin at least! Hours later and a trip to the 24 hour pharmacy for my husband he finally fell asleep,needess to say my son and I just got out of bed. He's never sick so I guess we were meant to stay home today and try again next week.

Thanks so much for y'alls input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary